Pushy friends who want to read your work....

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
....but you'd rather they didn't.

How can I tell them to feck right off, without spoiling the friendship? They tell you they're really looking forward to reading it but don't even know what it's about? And you know fine well it's really NOT their type of thing?

My family are polite/disinterested enough not to pry into my work, and I appreciate that - I don't pry into theirs either. My partner's the same. But when you have these people who are just going to get a copy because you're their mate, that isn't as supportive as they think it is, it's intrusive and pressuring.
Numerous attempts to dodge questions have been ignored - they just keep asking.

I know they will hate it. Which is why I'd prefer they didn't read it.

FiendsForHire

Honestly, it sounds like they're just trying to be supportive friends who want to read it because you wrote it regardless of what it's about. But yeah, tell them about it and emphasize that you think it's not their thing. If they then read it and don't like it, then it's on them.

Nneeil

How can I tell them to feck right off, without spoiling the friendship? They tell you they're really looking forward to reading it but don't even know what it's about? And you know fine well it's really NOT their type of thing?

My family are polite/disinterested enough not to pry into my work, and I appreciate that - I don't pry into theirs either. My partner's the same. But when you have these people who are just going to get a copy because you're their mate, that isn't as supportive as they think it is, it's intrusive and pressuring.

Why go out of your way to tell them you're a writer anyway? If you don't feel comfortable sharing your story, you should simply avoid making anyone aware you're writing one in the first place.

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
Honestly I feel the same thing like you. I told my friend that I love to write, but didn't forget to tell them that it's too heavy for 'casuals' or simply not their cup of tea. Who knows, maybe they just wanted to be supportive. Give them a chance. Man up and let them taste your work, but prepare to suffer from cringe.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's completely your choice who you share your work with . . . unless you publish it under your legal name. You haven't told them your pen name, have you? If not, maybe them they can go on Scribble Hub and guess which story you wrote. That will make you seem mysterious and cool . . . or better yet, tell them to give my story a one-star rating 😇

Their reaction to stories similar to yours could help you decide whether to trust them with the real deal.

Why go out of your way to tell them you're a writer anyway? If you don't feel comfortable sharing your story, you should simply avoid making anyone aware you're writing one in the first place.
I was honestly thinking the same thing. If I ever manage to make a living off of my writing and people asked about my job I'd say something vague like "I work in online publishing". Online friends are different, though.

Tell them you're busy and has something important to do, don't need to worry how absurd it is, just tell him you're busy building an army or something.
If he doesn't get the message, say that your eyes hurt when you're reading for the past few weeks and tell him you're maybe unable to read his work for now and he need to wait. If he pressuring you to read again, say that it still hurt.

Last edited:

Aaqil

Cookies!
Tell them you're busy and has something important to do, don't need to worry how absurd it is, just tell him you're busy building an army or something.
If he doesn't get the message, say that your eyes hurt when you're reading for the past few weeks and tell him you're maybe unable to read his work for now and he need to wait. If he pressuring you to read again, say that it still hurt.
But Raven is the person with a book to not read, not the friends, :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Just tell them that they won't be able to read it until it's finished because it's nowhere near ready. If they still pester to them just tell them that you aren't going to finish it so that they have nothing to ask about. I don't really get it but you do you.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
Tell them your a best selling author and you don't have time for their petty questions. They can go like all the other civilians and buy it off the shelves, if there's any left that is.

If they protest even more say your late for an interview with the Times.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
It goes thus :
Him: so what's it about?
Me:ignores
him: so what's it about?
Me:...
Him: so what's...
Etc.
He's seen the cover, seen the quotes, and still pesters.
Reading compro obvs not great....

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Just let them read it. Don't try and decide what they should read for them. They can do that themselves once they read it. This is the mature way to handle this.

Now if you are embarrassed to show them, just be prepared for any reaction. You earned that. Real friends won't drop you just because of some fiction. If they confront you, its because they really care.

UberNuber

It seems like he's trying to be supportive but you are embarrassed of what your story is and so are kind of acting selfish. Either just say what it's about, or say that you'll tell them the next story that you're more proud of.

It very strange to see you paint them as being in the wrong.

Unless they are asking in a non-supportive/snarky/sarcastic way.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
You have... what is this word...
Friends? Don't you mean fiends? Did you mistype? What is this friends thing you speak of?