Qn: How to properly write a Zero Approval Rating MC?

SailusGebel

If you want to make an MC that 99% of readers will dislike, you are moving in the wrong direction. If you want to write an edgy character, you are doing it right.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Well, not to brag...

Me.

What I mean is, an utterly alien horror. Like, a giant planet with eyes that shows up, eats the moon, makes people murder their own loved ones to be spared, eats earth anyways, then fucks off and doesn't even give it a second thought.

DiscoDream

Severe autist
Sadly I don't have that mindset or even know how to get into that mindset.

Yes, the internet has materials, but I would be a bit of loony just to get myself loony to write a loony cunt MC.
It called dedication! Treat it like a thought experiment. "What if I only cared about myself"

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
It called dedication! Treat it like a thought experiment. "What if I only cared about myself"
Then I'll be dead on the street by next sunrise lol.

Probably need to imba myself with some OP isekai skills to not get a driveby.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
You need an antagonist that is so lovable that your MC will look like a prick that deserves to die for the sake of a better world.

The most unlikeable characters are the ones nobody can understand due to their twisted opinions/worldview.

Yes, you have to write a Karen.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Have not really dabble on Classroom of the Elite so I can't really say.

But imo, he does not actively fuck with people? Or does he?

... Now that I think about it, even Summoned Slaughterer Hifumi does not actively kill people. At best he just provokes people until they want to kill him and he kills them for "self defense".

Kind of like how all authors unanimously say "we can't have an actively bad MC, we must give him a reason to be bad." And it boils down to the idea of "MC bad? World badder".
Ayanokouji Kiyotaka only fucks with people who are in his way but keeps a low profile otherwise. But when he decides to get serious, shit goes down. HARD. He's definitely edgy, but he's not unlikeable.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
You need an antagonist that is so lovable that your MC will look like a prick that deserves to die for the sake of a better world.

The most unlikeable characters are the ones nobody can understand due to their twisted opinions/worldview.

Yes, you have to write a Karen.
Damn bro. Gave me an impossible mission man.
Ayanokouji Kiyotaka only fucks with people who are in his way but keeps a low profile otherwise. But when he decides to get serious, shit goes down. HARD. He's definitely edgy, but he's not unlikeable.
... So he is someone with balls?

I mean, edgy aside, standing for ourselves and retaliating is common sense, but said common sense has been lost IRL and in most online JP works.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
... So he is someone with balls?

I mean, edgy aside, standing for ourselves and retaliating is common sense, but said common sense has been lost IRL and in most online JP works.
Yep, that he keeps hidden behind unsoiled pants.

StrongArm

Hey, i just wanted to say thank you.

ive been struggling to create a novel that is fun for me to write and i dont mind messing up on
and because of your post i started to think about truly unredeemable evil villains, and what it might be like to write them.
I went down a rabbit hole of villainy, and found inspiration from a bunch of sources.
Now ive finally succeeded in creating an idea that i really want to sink my teeth into.
Now i can finally write down all my most twisted psychotic thoughts and make people laugh/horrified in a novel i actually like writing.

Its called: The Super Awesome Friendship Adventure Tales Of The Black Sword

tragic sword.jpg

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
Just make them do whatever.
No seriously, people will hate them and others will love them
Just like my boy Rance.
abxJJLaL_700w_0.jpg