Reader friendly novel?

BluePheasant

As a new writer, it's almost impossible to know if readers are gonna like the story or not, or at least I don't really know if mine is. Structure and writing style can be improved easily and I can know that just by reading the stuff again. But I still can't figure out if the story itself has any problems or not, or if it is enjoyable from a reader's point of view by myself. I know people are gonna say you just need feedback and stuff, but useful feedback and constructive criticism are so hard to come by.
So here's the question, how the hell do I know if it's good enough from a reader's point of view? [Edited/added later: Is there any way to know, what I'm writing is intriguing enough for readers to read. What points should I look out for if I want to create something that will grab their attention?And when jugding by myself what should I look for in the story?] Because for some reason after I started writing myself I can't properly judge my story from a reader's PoV. I need to know the problems to improve the story after all.

Last edited:

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
In my experience, it is difficult to review your own story objectively. I feel as though you will always have a slight unconscious biased. This is just my experience, though. On another note, I'll review the first few chapters of your story. I know the feeling of having trouble getting feedback.
As a new writer, it's almost impossible to know if readers are gonna like the story or not, or at least I don't really know if mine is. Structure and writing style can be improved easily and I can know that just by reading the stuff again. But I still can't figure out if the story itself has any problems or not, or is it enjoyable from a reader's point of view by myself. I know people are gonna say you just need feedback and stuff, but useful feedback and constructive criticism are so hard to come by.
So here's the question, how the hell do I know if it's good enough from a reader's point of view? Because for some reason after I started writing myself I can't properly judge my story from a reader's PoV. I need to know the problems to improve the story after all.

Last edited:

autumnveir

Honestly, criticisms herein scribblehub are rare. You might want to go to more active sites for more criticisms.

have a friend read it for you.

Not necessarily a friend... It can be your acquaintances or your relatives if you're comfortable with that. Heck! It can be me! I'll read that!

Amok

grblbrbl
As a new writer, it's almost impossible to know if readers are gonna like the story or not, or at least I don't really know if mine is.

my best suggestion for this is to post frequently enough to get a following. if people read and fav your tale, chances are they like it. if it flops then you can always back edit or rewrite and repost, if you have any specific investment in that story. there are some discord servers where you can get quick and decent reviews, tho i haven't been on that scene for a long time so can't make any recommendations.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
There are two points to consider when it comes to reader friendliness.

1. Writing structure (which I think you mentioned in the first two sentences).
This is easy to fix because all you have to do is make sure the flow of sentences and everything is easy to read and well organized. Use white space in between paragraphs and telegraph who is speaking so the reader doesn't get confused.

2. Content
This one is subjective, and the reason I say this is because it really depends on what genre you're writing and who your target audience is. I find the majority of novels on SH boring and difficult to read because the content is just not interesting to me, however I also find the majority of stories even on Amazon that are best sellers boring and not interesting.

This isn't because those novels are bad but that the mainstream type stories don't cater to me and I simply don't enjoy them. Those novels however, become popular because other people (the majority of SH visitors) like them. If you want to have someone read for content you should ask people whom you would consider your target audience for feedback.

Friends and family often don't fit this category.

I'll just LOL at myself thinking about asking my friends to read my smut.

Toripuru-S

(if this is an option)

If you feel you aren't getting enough feedback already, then consider paying some beta readers to take a look at what you got.

Money talks 💰. There's plenty of beta readers a Google search away, that would be happy to provide honest and constructive criticism.

Again, if something like that were to be an option at all, then you can get multiple beta readers at once and see where their commentary lines up/differs.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
As a new writer, it's almost impossible to know if readers are gonna like the story or not, or at least I don't really know if mine is. Structure and writing style can be improved easily and I can know that just by reading the stuff again. But I still can't figure out if the story itself has any problems or not, or if it is enjoyable from a reader's point of view by myself. I know people are gonna say you just need feedback and stuff, but useful feedback and constructive criticism are so hard to come by.
So here's the question, how the hell do I know if it's good enough from a reader's point of view? Because for some reason after I started writing myself I can't properly judge my story from a reader's PoV. I need to know the problems to improve the story after all.
1. write the chapter
2. rage quit writing because you stared at it for too long and can't tell if it's good or bad
3. come back after a couple of days/weeks with a slated memory to read it
4. ask yourself if you're satisfied with it

Idk how others feel, but when I read my writing and deem it enjoyable, then it is good imo. "A really good story" has different criteria for everyone and meeting those criteria is not always possible either through lack of skill, different writing style, unsuitable setting, etc.

BluePheasant

Honestly, criticisms herein scribblehub are rare. You might want to go to more active sites for more criticisms.

Not necessarily a friend... It can be your acquaintances or your relatives if you're comfortable with that. Heck! It can be me! I'll read that!
Any suggestions? What might those active sites be?
(if this is an option)

If you feel you aren't getting enough feedback already, then consider paying some beta readers to take a look at what you got.

Money talks 💰. There's plenty of beta readers a Google search away, that would be happy to provide honest and constructive criticism.

Again, if something like that were to be an option at all, then you can get multiple beta readers at once and see where their commentary lines up/differs.
Not an option sadly
There are two points to consider when it comes to reader friendliness.

1. Writing structure (which I think you mentioned in the first two sentences).
This is easy to fix because all you have to do is make sure the flow of sentences and everything is easy to read and well organized. Use white space in between paragraphs and telegraph who is speaking so the reader doesn't get confused.

2. Content
This one is subjective, and the reason I say this is because it really depends on what genre you're writing and who your target audience is. I find the majority of novels on SH boring and difficult to read because the content is just not interesting to me, however I also find the majority of stories even on Amazon that are best sellers boring and not interesting.

This isn't because those novels are bad but that the mainstream type stories don't cater to me and I simply don't enjoy them. Those novels however, become popular because other people (the majority of SH visitors) like them. If you want to have someone read for content you should ask people whom you would consider your target audience for feedback.

Friends and family often don't fit this category.

I'll just LOL at myself thinking about asking my friends to read my smut.
Where will I find the target audience then? Someone said that my writing style is kind of Japanese LN styled. I mean is there any site where they prefer that more?

Last edited:

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
As a new writer, it's almost impossible to know if readers are going to like the story or not, or at least I don't really know if mine is. Structure and writing style can be improved easily and I can know that just by reading the stuff again. But I still can't figure out if the story itself has any problems or not, or if it is enjoyable from a reader's point of view by myself. I know people are gonna say you just need feedback and stuff, but useful feedback and constructive criticism are so hard to come by.
Post something like this on a reader general thing with a link to your book asking people to read it and post their opinions on it. Also looking through your book always helps, criticism to your own works may sound cruel but it truly helps!

Also you actually don't truly know if from a reader's point of view if they'll like it. Actually there is never a time where every reader will like it. This isn't me trying to be rude it's just people have different opinions. For some people they will think it's wonderful, the best thing ever made! Well others will think it's trash (there is also in between people but thats not my point). So actually, there never will be a time where every reader will like it.
(Hopefully this helped!)

HappyVainGlory

Don't read it for about a week and then read it yourself. If you like it, there's at least one reader who will also like it. If you hate it, well, there's probably someone who will like it, but you should probably reconsider your writing.

If you do a lot of reading, you should have an intuition for what's wonky with your writing. Once you have a bit of distance from what you've written, it'll be easier to see what went wrong and focus on how to fix it. Or you might find out that you think it's perfectly fine. In that case, just keep on plugging away.

The important thing to remember is that you should be writing stuff you like to read. With that in mind, just keep on writing and tweak things as you reread until it matches what you like.

If you're setting out to reach a wide audience or make money though, you really should invest in proper writing classes. It'll save you a lot of time, pain, and emotional damage.

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
You must never write a perfect story, otherwise you won't get haterz. Haterz have the power to make your blood boil, which is healthy since it cauterizes wounds inside your kokoro and makes your apparent weight so small that you float into the dream world.
You absolutely have to have a love and hate relationship with everything, including your novel. If you divorce with your novel then that's just what was meant to happen, amirite girlz? 😂

readers on sh are very nice. too nice even. if there's something they don't particularly like, they won't voice their opinion as to not discourage the author.
if you want feedback you have to ask for it: in the synopsis, under every other chapter, etc.. also engage with any comments you get.

Where will I find the target audience then? Someone said that my writing style is kind of Japanese LN styled. I mean is there any site where they prefer that more?
SH is a good place for the LN style but most tend to have a certain degree of fanservice. best way to know gauge what readers want is to check the top novels of similar tags.
you can also check honey and webnovel. just don't sign anything with webnovel and you'd need daily updates to have any form of growth there. honestly constant updates are a necessity on any platform. no clue about honey though.

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
You can try hiring a beta reader or an editor, if you have the cash (which many of us don't!).

Alternatively, try to swap reading other people's stories while getting them to read your own? I'm pretty sure they need someone to read their stories too and give them feedback.

Whatever it is, good luck! Try not to worry too much about it and just have fun for now!

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
But I still can't figure out if the story itself has any problems or not
Problems are good. Conflicts make stories interesting. If it's all rainbows and unicorns, readers will get bored.

If it's good from your point of view, someone else will also love it.

Carlo.jpg

BluePheasant

Post something like this on a reader general thing with a link to your book asking people to read it and post their opinions on it. Also looking through your book always helps, criticism to your own works may sound cruel but it truly helps!

Also you actually don't truly know if from a reader's point of view if they'll like it. Actually there is never a time where every reader will like it. This isn't me trying to be rude it's just people have different opinions. For some people they will think it's wonderful, the best thing ever made! Well others will think it's trash (there is also in between people but thats not my point). So actually, there never will be a time where every reader will like it.
(Hopefully this helped!)
I looked at the reader's part of the forum. Lots of ppl posted there asking for reviews. No one really volunteers to give helpful feedback. So I tried using the voluntary feedback posts some do. And they gave their own subjective opinion. After that they say, it might just be their own preference. So does that mean I have to accumulate lots of subjective feedbacks and look for the common things in those feedback and figure out the problem the absolute hard way?

Last edited:
just write about you literally making friends with the readers

especially if you're in Wattpad

BluePheasant

just write about you literally making friends with the readers

especially if you're in Wattpad
I'm not familiar with wattpad preference. Also have no idea what you mean by write like making frnds with the readers...

lambenttyto

So here's the question, how the hell do I know if it's good enough from a reader's point of view? Because for some reason after I started writing myself I can't properly judge my story from a reader's PoV. I need to know the problems to improve the story after all
Oh, it's much harder than that, because when you do get criticism, how do you parse good critique from bad advice? I mean, storytelling is art after all, right? Isn't it subjective? Why take anyone's advice at all? Is the criticism on the mode by which you tell the story, or on your storytelling itself? Fundgemonkeys?