Readers who declare that they're dropping the series they're reading

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
An author here. Dear readers, if you want to drop our series, please do so quietly and don't drop a comment just to tell the whole world that you're doing it. I've got used to it at some point but you might crush the spirit of some newbies. Please and thank you

D

Deleted member 29316

While I certainly agree to this, there are those that just wanted to watch the world burn and bitch about it.

Ya know, internet.

And they'd even get encouraged by the fact that they were able to affect the author, even going as far as telling them to 'suck it up if you want to stay'.

Oh well, it's how the online world goes. They feel entitled because they are safe in the blanket of anonimity.

LotsChrono

Imagine someone goes to the first chapter or prologue of a story and just comments “okay I’m dropping this series”

As someone across a screen, that would be hilarious.

As a writer myself though, it wouldn’t be.

Michuyu

An author here. Dear readers, if you want to drop our series, please do so quietly and don't drop a comment just to tell the whole world that you're doing it. I've got used to it at some point but you might crush the spirit of some newbies. Please and thank you
Never had this happen to me, but it would definitely crush me x_x

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
I think it depends a lot on the situation. I've had stories where I've considered leaving a note because the story itself was great, just not what I prefer, and I know authors can feel worried over dropping viewer count. In cases like that, I believe there is value in bringing up that you are dropping it, as you can add in that you think the work is good. That said, I almost never comment on anything. Everyone should try to consider all the viewpoints involved -- just saying you are no longer a reader serves no purpose. Saying you are dropping it because you dislike where it is going but think it is good quality though? That tells the author that they are not doing anything wrong and that even someone who is no longer interested supports them continuing.

That said, I can also understand commenting that you are no longer going to read when someone decides to delete 90% of their work to publish it, as that feels a lot like betrayal for many people. (This one really bothers me, though I can see the purpose, it still feels wrong to remove things instead of just stop adding new.)

D

Deleted member 29316

You forgot the little window of time on the front page when the new story first goes up (and that risk applies to all authors).
That too.

Also, in connection to this, have you guys ever experienced readers who thinks they know better than you? Like they would teach you what they think should happen in YOUR story? And drop it if it doesn't go their way?

Pretty amusing as well as annoying. :blobrofl:

Reactions: CL

CL

That too.

Also, in connection to this, have you guys ever experienced readers who thinks they know better than you? Like they would teach you what they think should happen in YOUR story? And drop it if it doesn't go their way?

Only on RRL.

TLCsDestiny

I wrote it in one novel but put down valid reasons upon doing so. It had a scheming 5 year old for a start and I thought it was horrible that the parent was happy about it. I'm talking about scheming and ruining someone's life here! If I had a 5 year old was like that I'd be shit scared lol. I thought something like that was wrong...
Each to their own I suppose...

D

Deleted member 29316

I think it depends a lot on the situation. I've had stories where I've considered leaving a note because the story itself was great, just not what I prefer, and I know authors can feel worried over dropping viewer count. In cases like that, I believe there is value in bringing up that you are dropping it, as you can add in that you think the work is good. That said, I almost never comment on anything. Everyone should try to consider all the viewpoints involved -- just saying you are no longer a reader serves no purpose. Saying you are dropping it because you dislike where it is going but think it is good quality though? That tells the author that they are not doing anything wrong and that even someone who is no longer interested supports them continuing.

That said, I can also understand commenting that you are no longer going to read when someone decides to delete 90% of their work to publish it, as that feels a lot like betrayal for many people. (This one really bothers me, though I can see the purpose, it still feels wrong to remove things instead of just stop adding new.)
You sir are a good, rare type of reader.

However, in some other sites, they feel like just telling everyone that they're dropping the story. Maybe for the purpose of warning other readers about what disappointed them, or just plain whining about what they don't like.

Blackout

Worshipper of Chin Chin the Dark Lord
That too.

I don't mind readers like that. I'll just take their opinions and use them as ideas. But whether i choose to use them is still up to me. After all, it's my story, not theirs

• Love

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I dont see why readers have to consider our feelings. That said, i dont mind it. Just dont go off on a five paragraph rant over why you're dropping it.

• Haha

CL

I don't mind readers like that. I'll just take their opinions and use them as ideas. But whether i choose to use them is still up to me. After all, it's my story, not theirs
Carry on. :blob_salute:
I dont see why readers have to consider our feelings. That said, i dont mind it. Just dont go off on a five paragraph rant over why you're dropping it.
I've honestly seen comments like that before in a story that was some years old. The author had actually gone back in and edited their story to "correct" what the commenter pointed out.

MarkofWisdom

If I drop a story it's very rare that I would leave a comment saying so-usually I'd just stop reading the story and remove it from the tracking/reading list if it's there. The only times when I might consider leaving a comment are when I've gotten invested into a story and there is a sudden and dramatic shift in the story in a way that makes it much, much worse (to me at least), usually quite far into the story. Even then though I don't leave negative reviews, downvotes, or anything like that though.

As an example-
a story that had the MC personality type as fairly kind, intelligent, striving to improve things for those they cared about, getting stronger to protect them, and generally trying to improve things around them. General tone of the story was comedic. Decent pacing and all, setbacks and triumphs. About 120 chapters in there was an out of nowhere swerve where MC and company got trapped in a place where the power scaling was absolutely 50 orders of magnitude higher than anything else before, MC gets kidnapped/saved by some new character who is even stronger than that. MC is returned to group, group freaks out for no reason and abandons MC, causing MC to have a mental breakdown and "forced evolution" into a demon that almost completely erases their personality and replaces them with a complete psycho, plus boosts their power level to be above the new character. MC now basically an idiotic insolent brat handed near unlimited power without any effort who hates humans for some reason, but likes demons/monsters and is willing to help them out or leave them alone if they don't want to join-but all humans must submit or die, and MC will and does hunt down any remaining humans who haven't sworn obedience. There were a few parts where the MC's remaining companions were still like "the old MC is still there somewhere since they helped someone or implied they would help people who tried to improve themselves", but...

Later the MC enjoys corrupting some of their old friends (and tortures and kills any that refuse to be corrupted) and about 40 chapters later eventually returns to their main base and has one of their friends gruesomely murder their only remaining family member who was mad at the MC for abandoning them for several years (getting a large number of the MC's old friends and followers killed) with no word even when the MC had the chance to return before-the context being that the MC had promised to keep them safe and had been working towards that before their original personality was killed and replaced, and the relative was someone who helped MC even get that far since they supported them when the MC was weak and alone. That's the point where I dropped the story and left a comment saying that the characters we knew from the first 100+ chapters were dead and replaced with complete psychos who are the polar opposite of what their characters were like at the start, and these personality shifts came out of nowhere and were incredibly forced.

I skimmed ahead about 100 chapters after that point and they were basically in a similar position, but at a higher scaling-higher body count, more stupid pointless drama, more allies betrayed and killed because it amused the MC or the ally didn't approve of the MC doing something stupid and psychotic. I think the MC also completely made humans extinct by that point-slaughtering anyone who didn't bow down and forcing all that did to be turned into demons.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Carry on. :blob_salute:

I've honestly seen comments like that before in a story that was some years old. The author had actually gone back in and edited their story to "correct" what the commenter pointed out.
That's fine if the complaints were legit, but otherwise? Well you wont see giving in to some little shit bitching about my work.

DreamOfRen

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And I'm one of them. Carry on. :blob_popcorn:

• Wow