Rereading > First Read ?

J_Chemist

The series, Legends of the Duskwalker. I've mentioned it a lot, but it was a good series.

I've reread a lot of the Halo books as well. Manga too but not so much or often. Pictures stick in my brain better than words so I find it easier to remember and skim.

Oh. I misunderstood because I'm stupid.

Yes. I have. I've done it on a few Halo books because things made more sense on the second read through after I got a better grasp on the content.

Last edited:

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
I don't have specific examples because I go through books like popcorn but I can think a lot of books that I enjoyed more on the second round, normally because I'm in a better mental space to actually read the story

l8rose

Perpetually Positively Pondering
The Dragonriders of Pern trilogy was my first instance of liking something more on a reread. I read them for the first time when I was only twelve so some of the nuances were missed. I enjoyed them a heck of a lot more when I got older because I understood stuff that was way outside a pre-teen's experiences.

...amusingly enough, I also have a flip side of this with the Clan of the Cave Bear which I also read when I was twelve. I reread it years later and realized my librarian gave zero shits about what the kids were reading because that book (and series) is definitely not for pre-teens.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Usually happens when I remember a story I read long ago. I remember details that made me want to experience it again. Then I find myself fascinated again by how good it was! :blob_aww:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Unfortunately, I stopped doing rereads ever since I started my sage with webnovels, starting with brainrots like Arifureta, Shield Hero, Otherworld Evil Monarch etc.

I need reread segments of light novels such as Iris on Rainy Days, Tora Dora and even Mushoku Tensei. But for other works, no.

I think I had a whiplash was when I thought a scene done by Bear Wolf Dog's Man on Top of Food Chain was cool in memory, but when I reread it, it just felt off and super gay. In fact, BWD has tons of Foe Yay tone that I don't think the dude realized.

As for proper rereads? No.

To read for (literal) wanking? Yes.

miyoga

The Dragonriders of Pern trilogy was my first instance of liking something more on a reread. I read them for the first time when I was only twelve so some of the nuances were missed. I enjoyed them a heck of a lot more when I got older because I understood stuff that was way outside a pre-teen's experiences.

Totally agree with the Pern series. Even with the later novels by Anne and the collabs/continuation by her son, Todd, they're a great set of stories with tons of good examples of worldbuilding within a shared universe. In fact, many of her novels take place in the Pern-iverse including a standalone where it's essentially a planet of dinosaurs and dwarves.

K5Rakitan

Level 35 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
No, because if I'm reading it again, that means I'm working.

greyliliy

Stories I love enough to read twice are always more fun the second time. I know all my favorite parts are coming up again and I can appreciate set up and foreshadowing more.

I'd list them, but most of them are comics or fanfics atm. Lol. My literary examples are Treasure Island and The Wizard of Oz. XD

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Yes. It usually happens with stories that have some mystery. I will notice things I didn't before the second time I read. I like re-reading stories and noticing extra details. I already know the plot, but the small details can add on the second read.

There is also the case of becoming more knowledgeable and reading something you read when you were younger.
Yes. It usually happens with stories that have some mystery. I will notice things I didn't before the second time I read. I like re-reading stories and noticing extra details. I already know the plot, but the small details can add on the second read.

There is also the case of becoming more knowledgeable and reading something you read when you were younger.
Also, an example I thought of was Re Zero. The first read I didn't seem to notice some of the foreshadowing or red herrings.

2wordsperminute

The last thing I reread was goodbye eri by tatsuki fujimoto. it has good reread value, but I'm not sure I liked it better than the first time. Other than that, I don't reread much since I've got a lot I still want to read for the first time.

QuercusMalus

A bad apple...
Yes... thought for the life of me I can't remember specific ones off the top of my head at the moment....:unsure:

But this is something I actively try to emulate in my writing- adding little, apparently innocuous details that actually are relevant later on, that on a reread are more noticeable, or give a different slant on the characters actions.

Voidiris

Gaze into the abyss to truly see?
I honestly have problems to even start a reread so no, even if there are many things I desire to reread.

ACertainPassingUser

Konosuba is a fun re-read.
And also fun to re-watch too

Konosuba is inherently fun to watch, regardless of your understanding of what happens in the plot, the details, and how it affect the world around them.