should I accept webnovel's contract?

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
True. Like why post it this in Scribble hub when Web Novel has actually a forum section like this.
because, chances are it'd either be nuked on WN or be flooded with either WN review bots or fanboys praising WN.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
True. Like why post it this in Scribble hub when Web Novel has actually a forum section like this.
Why would you talk on their forum about the controversy of their contracts? We have a lot of threads regarding this topic. Many that have very detailed replies and honestly, it's not very hard to search. Just 'webnovel' and 'contract' suffice to find the threads.

I wonder why no one actually posts the contract they are talking about?
Jokes on you. They have always the same content. No need to post the same contract with only a different recipient name again and again. :blob_wink:
(No, seriously. I'd also like to see what they write in that. I've only received the non-exclusive solicitation message so far. :blob_pout:)

HappyVainGlory

Hey guys, I got an invitation from webnovel to form a contract. To be honest, I'm happy to get attention but I've also heard people complaining about their contracts being a fraud so I am a bit confused to whether accept or not. Please help me clear some doubts:
How it is a fraud? How much can I get paid? Do I really get paid? Should I just open a patreon? Which will be more beneficial?

It isn't a fraud so much as it's a deal that gives a lot to Webnovel. Like, a lot. You really should talk to an IP lawyer to understand the full extent of what you're signing away.

You probably get paid on a salary as well as on how much of your readers pay for advanced chapters. But that's a gamble.

Opening a patreon instead of signing means you keep all your IP rights to your story. But you also have to do a lot of legwork publicizing and getting people to subscribe. On the flipside, the contract assures you'll get something.

If your story is big and already has a loyal readerbase that wants to support you, definitely patreon. If not, and if you're fine closing doors, the contract is probably more beneficial.

But really, talk to a lawyer before signing if you care about your story.

Because that's putting your head against the muzzle of a lawsuit...? Even if it wouldn't have merit and you'd probably win, do you really want to risk it just for some internet cred?

cheriechechan

Lawsuits are expensive unless you have money for those. 😅 No such stupid company will endorse their sensitive and private contacts to normal people unless you actually inquire about those.
because, chances are it'd either be nuked on WN or be flooded with either WN review bots or fanboys praising WN.
But posting this on here will not help them right? Since this website does not offer those contracts why not go and send Webnovel an actual inquiry for this matter.

BlissyMKW

If you don't care at all that there's a highly likely chance you'll lose all rights to your work and probably also get screwed over by Webnovel, then go for it. Otherwise, don't touch their predatory contract with a 10 foot pole.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
HiI also have the same dilemma. They sent me the contract and based on my observations, they are legit but it is really depends on your story's quality and popularity.

There is no harm in reading the contracts but I suggest that you should follow your instincts after all. You have sole opinions about this is matter. Unless you are a desperate person like me. ✌just kidding.

True. Like why post it this in Scribble hub when Web Novel has actually a forum section like this. 😅

Patreon is not available in mu coutry. PH 🇵🇭
Patreon is not available on Ph? I'm from Ph and I can use Patreon, you just need a Paypal.

DreamOfRen

It's illegal to do so. It's in the contract.

Also to OP:
I would strongly caution you against it.
I read the contract and it basically strips you of all rights you have as an author.
As in, the second you sign it the work is no longer your own. You can be replaced at any time, for any reason at their discretion and the most important aspect for me was this : they own any work you start or create via the pen-name that you sign on under.

This means even if you create a totally new writing, legally they own it too and can exert the same influence over you.

They also have very vague wording. Requiring you to write upwards of 2 million words for your contract, for example. (I believe it's like 500,000 - 2 million). That's the equivalent of writing 1 million words a year, or 3,000 words a day.

They also don't tell you that the money you get is actually 25/50% of a cut. Example, if you made 100 cents on your work, they would pay themselves an amount at their discretion that you can't check, then pay you 25/50% of what's left.

What happens if they offer you 50% of 2 cents?

They will only start paying you after they make more than a profit with your work, upwards of 6 months.

They also regularly mess with the on - site ratings manually I suspect.

All in all, they do very questionable things, offer vague contract terms and turn you into a slave with their contracts.

I also can't seem to get *any* author to tell me how much they actually make -- because apparently this is gagged in the contract as well and fiercely enforced.

I can only assume it's a few hundred a month, which IMO doesn't justify writing every single day for 2 years under pain of legal implications or loss of your rights.

This is all based on my limited experience and ultimately why I turned it down (and won't even consider it any further).

Last edited:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Hey guys, I got an invitation from webnovel to form a contract. To be honest, I'm happy to get attention but I've also heard people complaining about their contracts being a fraud so I am a bit confused to whether accept or not. Please help me clear some doubts:
How it is a fraud? How much can I get paid? Do I really get paid? Should I just open a patreon? Which will be more beneficial?
Normally Ai-chan would say "Read the fucking contract!"

But recalling what they already did countless times to Chinese authors, Ai-chan will save you the trouble and say NO.

Do you like losing sleep?
Do you like losing your fingers
Do you like being treated like trash?
Do you like having your opinions ignored?
Do you like being forced to work to death?
Do you like begging for money like a hobo?
Do you like having your baby taken away from you?
Do you like not having time to spend on your hobbies?
Do you like losing your job to chase a deadline for your online job?
Do you like losing all custody over the baby you spent so long raising?
Do you like losing all custody of your baby the moment you gave birth to it?
Do you like being dumped by your boyfriend/gf and forced to watch them fucking others?
Do you like working hard to the point of death for a company that would attempt every trick in the book to not pay you?

If you say yes to all of the above, then congratulations, you fit webnovel perfectly. Go ahead and make them rich at the expense of your health and relationship. Webnovel contracts are for those truly desperate or hopeless masochists.

If not, and you still need money, go work at McDonalds. The abuse at McD is less than the abuse you'd receive as a contracted author at webnovel. And best of all, McDonalds pay more per month than webnovel, even if you're lazy.

Daitengu

I haven't found any new series on we novel ever since the tag nuke. The site is basically dead to me and many of the authors I use to follow either stopped writing or is in the process of moving off site.

cheriechechan

Patreon is not available on Ph? I'm from Ph and I can use Patreon, you just need a Paypal.

Patreon cover mostly artists who can draw or illustrate even in digital form. I cannot do those two sadly 😂.
It isn't a fraud so much as it's a deal that gives a lot to Webnovel. Like, a lot. You really should talk to an IP lawyer to understand the full extent of what you're signing away.

You probably get paid on a salary as well as on how much of your readers pay for advanced chapters. But that's a gamble.

Opening a patreon instead of signing means you keep all your IP rights to your story. But you also have to do a lot of legwork publicizing and getting people to subscribe. On the flipside, the contract assures you'll get something.

If your story is big and already has a loyal readerbase that wants to support you, definitely patreon. If not, and if you're fine closing doors, the contract is probably more beneficial.

But really, talk to a lawyer before signing if you care about your story.

Because that's putting your head against the muzzle of a lawsuit...? Even if it wouldn't have merit and you'd probably win, do you really want to risk it just for some internet cred?
Well none of us can afford to hire a lawyer so
Just disregard the offer after all.
Normally Ai-chan would say "Read the fucking contract!"

But recalling what they already did countless times to Chinese authors, Ai-chan will save you the trouble and say NO.

Do you like losing sleep?
Do you like losing your fingers
Do you like being treated like trash?
Do you like having your opinions ignored?
Do you like being forced to work to death?
Do you like begging for money like a hobo?
Do you like having your baby taken away from you?
Do you like not having time to spend on your hobbies?
Do you like losing your job to chase a deadline for your online job?
Do you like losing all custody over the baby you spent so long raising?
Do you like losing all custody of your baby the moment you gave birth to it?
Do you like being dumped by your boyfriend/gf and forced to watch them fucking others?
Do you like working hard to the point of death for a company that would attempt every trick in the book to not pay you?

If you say yes to all of the above, then congratulations, you fit webnovel perfectly. Go ahead and make them rich at the expense of your health and relationship. Webnovel contracts are for those truly desperate or hopeless masochists.

If not, and you still need money, go work at McDonalds. The abuse at McD is less than the abuse you'd receive as a contracted author at webnovel. And best of all, McDonalds pay more per month than webnovel, even if you're lazy.
That is impossible in our countries dude. 😂 we have that in here and it is a miracle if you got hired in a fast food resto.

Last edited:

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
Don't support contract that undercut its people, lest it become an industry standard. This is how crunchyroll can get away with paying their translators less than the supposed norm.

Agentt

Thighs
Since everyone has already said no, how about I say yes just for meme's sake.
Go accept it for fun and giggles
Patreon cover mostly artists who can draw or illustrate even in digital form. I cannot do those two sadly 😂.
Hm? Many authors here have patreon and gift readers with free chapters,

scribesaga

I’ve been offered contracts before. I just don’t like giving up ownership of my work.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
Can you
A: Write a chapter a day every single day?
B: Accept the fact that your novel no longer belongs to you but a company?
C: Understand the implications of signing said contract?

If all are "Yes" just do it. 90% of my successful writer friends are contracted with webnovel. I ghostwrite for one said novel, and the pay is actually good.

A good author will be able to make 2K/m on webnovel with a certain level of ease so long as they write 1400 words or more every day and manage to hit a good early readership on the weeks leading to it. Also, WN only provides contracts through Inkstone, never on e-mails

RavensDagger

It's illegal to do so. It's in the contract.
I can't see how it can be illegal. The person who received the contract hasn't signed anything yet, which means they haven't signed an NDA.

Besides, which jurisdiction does Web Novel operate from? The laws that apply to them likely don't apply equally in every country.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
I can't see how it can be illegal. The person who received the contract hasn't signed anything yet, which means they haven't signed an NDA.

Besides, which jurisdiction does Web Novel operate from? The laws that apply to them likely don't apply equally in every country.
You agree to their terms and conditions when creating an account with any website. That itself is effectively signing off to something right there. It’s likely buried in their terms and conditions and including it in the contract again basically serves as a reminder.

RavensDagger

You agree to their terms and conditions when creating an account with any website. That itself is effectively signing off to something right there. It’s likely buried in their terms and conditions and including it in the contract again basically serves as a reminder.

A site's TOS is not a legally binding agreement.

EDIT: Sorry, they can be... depending on the country you're in, and the country they're from, and then things only get more complicated from there.
EDIT 2: If the OP got a contract without yet joining the site, then they really haven't agreed to anything, regardless of if WN has hidden some text that might count as an NDA in their TOS.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
A site's TOS is not a legally binding agreement.

EDIT: Sorry, they can be... depending on the country you're in, and the country they're from, and then things only get more complicated from there.
EDIT 2: If the OP got a contract without yet joining the site, then they really haven't agreed to anything, regardless of if WN has hidden some text that might count as an NDA in their TOS.
You only ever receive exclusive contracts through the inkstone platform for authors. They do not email these contracts thus they must already have an account to receive an exclusive contract. I’ve been offered one before but naturally never signed it. It also never goes away. It basically just sits there forever in your account until you accept it.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
Webnovel ToS only prevents you from the disclosure of settlement amounts from arbitration. It doesn't have blanket NDA