should I add chapter numbers to my chapter titles?

do you like when there is a number next to the chapter title

• yes

Votes: 23 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
So far, my chapters have only titles, but I noticed that on this site, most chapters have numbers assigned to them as well, for example: "Ch12: BlahBlahBlah". Should I go with the trend?

Agentt

Thighs
Of course, you doofus, they are highly important for readers to remember what chapter they were on, in case they haven't put you in reading lists

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
There's really no reason not to, it's all positives as far as I'm concerned. And no, I'm not taking some bullshit convoluted psychologist crap about how it can affect a person's psyche in a bad way as a con. Because fuck you for being a dick.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I click yes before I even read your post. The title is enough to give me the vibe that the work (despite I did not and probably will not read) is some form of weird kink.

We have numbers and labels for a good reason and that is to keep track of where we are in the work. In SH, all works here goes by a format of daily/ weekly/ annually upload and without any referrence other than a weird phrase or even a name that people are most likely to forget, chance they rage quit after losing their steps go high.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So far, my chapters have only titles, but I noticed that on this site, most chapters have numbers assigned to them as well, for example: "Ch12: BlahBlahBlah". Should I go with the trend?
Yes but I dunno I stopped thinking of actual names for my stories after my first one went on for over 100 chapters. It's my fault, cuz my titles were prett unique and fun. I did choose them with love. But fuck me, it got harder to keep up with thinking of interesting ones.

So in my other stories I just gave them numbers. It's harder to find specific scenes for later reference this way, but is less stressful too.

So yeah. Definitely number your chapter titles, but maybe consider stop using titles I'd the story is gonna be a long one. Just my advice

Reyezwriting

Yes but I dunno I stopped thinking of actual names for my stories after my first one went on for over 100 chapters.
But coming out with titles every single time utilizes the same creative muscle we're already using anyway.
It's like working out everyday but skipping leg day.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
But coming out with titles every single time utilizes the same creative muscle we're already using anyway.
It's like working out everyday but skipping leg day.
I can be creative. But condensing it all into a single short sentence? Man I dont wanna think that hard. I'm a long winded motherfucker. Besides, most people use the same generic titles anyway andi dont wanna end up doing that too

TotallyHuman

Why not. It's more conviniently to remember the number than the title in case a reader didn't mark their latest chapter. Besides, it just looks a bit neater

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I think that it depends on the asthetic you are going for but basically I would say that it is easier to have some type of guide (whether it is numbers or alphabet letters).
If you don't want to go with the typical "Chapter 12: Bla Bla Bla" or "Ch 12: Bla Bla Bla" then you have several options.
If your story will be divided into archs you could write something like this:
  • Part 1 - Chapter X: XXX
  • Arc 1 - Chapter X: XXX
  • Volume 1 - Chapter X: XXX
  • Arc [Flower Garden] : Chapter X - XXX
Or something along these lines.
If you are not going to split your story into volumes/arcs or whatever you want to call it then these are the options you have:
  • XXX
  • Chapter 1: XXX
  • Ch 1: XXX
  • Chapter A: XXX
  • Chapter A (Part 1): XXX
  • Chapter A.1: XX
And since I just woke up this is as far as my memories reach. Hopefully I was able to help you :blobtaco:
(forgive me for any mistakes, I am writting on my phone)

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I think that it depends on the asthetic you are going for but basically I would say that it is easier to have some type of guide (whether it is numbers or alphabet letters).
If you don't want to go with the typical "Chapter 12: Bla Bla Bla" or "Ch 12: Bla Bla Bla" then you have several options.
If your story will be divided into archs you could write something like this:
  • Part 1 - Chapter X: XXX
  • Arc 1 - Chapter X: XXX
  • Volume 1 - Chapter X: XXX
  • Arc [Flower Garden] : Chapter X - XXX
Or something along these lines.
If you are not going to split your story into volumes/arcs or whatever you want to call it then these are the options you have:
  • XXX
  • Chapter 1: XXX
  • Ch 1: XXX
  • Chapter A: XXX
  • Chapter A (Part 1): XXX
  • Chapter A.1: XX
And since I just woke up this is as far as my memories reach. Hopefully I was able to help you :blobtaco:
(forgive me for any mistakes, I am writting on my phone)

For now, I just added numbers to my chapter titles. Don't want to confuse the current reader base too much.

Zero300

There’s no reason to not put chapter numbers unless you’re making a CYOA.