SmutHub: Real or Not?

C_P_Tuck

Every great story needs an author
I think it's time to get to the bottom of this. Is it really as bad as people complain it is or not? :blob_hmm_two: From now on, every day, I am going to inform you all about the happenings of new releases and trending. :blob_sir: How long will I do this? It will probably be a week or so. No promises, though. :blob_salute: What I will focus on here is two genres: smut and harem. I have no blacklisting nor set favorites; the site is as is seen without fiddling with settings. Let's start with the latter:

Trending (Daily Top 20)
Date: 2023.August.23

• Harem: 6 out of 20 = 30%
  • Smut: 2 out of 20 = 10%
Hey... that is pretty low... :blob_neutral: Oh well. Let's move on to the new books being uploaded:

Latest Series (Last 20)
Date: 2023.August.23

• Harem: 4 out of 20 = 20%
  • Smut: 2 out of 20 = 10%
Again... this is not that bad. :blob_unsure: So... what's the complaint again I get to read again and again? What are you guys on about?:blob_catflip:

I admit this impromptu "research" is not rock solid. It relies on authors tagging their novels well. But if you want to complain, go ahead and do a proper one. :blob_frown: I will keep posting and updating this every day. Let's see how it fares. If there won't be 20 new books by tomorrow, then I will cut down its numbers but still give you the correct percentage, which is what matters, IMO. For now, we are in the green, I think. :blob_okay:

Quick Edit: People who think this is against either of the tags are simply bringing their bias into this. No, this is not against anything but only to satisfy my curiosity. To see if the complainers are right or not. Do smut and harem so prevalent that everything you click on is one of them? I am not here to tell you what to think but to show you what I see and experience so YOU can draw YOUR conclusion. Is "X%" a lot? Or is it not? It's up to you to decide. I present my findings; you make your decision. Case closed.

You can click on the dates below, and it will take you to the post from that day!

My conclusion after the week: Warning, weak feelings may be hurt here.

Round 2 - Checking the Latest Updates page:

My 2nd conclusion: Here
I'm gonna speak on this as an author, and someone who's been posting chapters to this site for nearly 3 years now.

Yes, it's a huge problem. It's not the frequency, because as much as I hate to admit it, just planning out the first few chapters of a story takes brain cells and willpower. Most don't have that.

No, the issue lies in the amount of times we see a story with low-quality or unreliable characters hit the trending page. That happens often enough for it to be a real problem. And would you like to guess what most of these stories have in common? Smut. Harems. SMUT AND HAREMS.

Someone once told me "J.R.R Tolkien couldn't make it on this site". They said that to illustrate why most original stories with worldbuilding and long plotlines don't do well here, but really, it's an indicator of how short and filthy most people prefer their fiction.

SmutHub? This is the first time I've heard that nickname used. But it definitely fits.

Edit: Also, the one time I involved sex scenes in a novel, that novel shot up to be my most popular, by a factor of about 5. And that novel has some iffy worldbuilding and plots. Don't believe me? Check out "Nexus" on my page and compare it to the other stories.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I'm gonna speak on this as an author, and someone who's been posting chapters to this site for nearly 3 years now.

Yes, it's a huge problem. It's not the frequency, because as much as I hate to admit it, just planning out the first few chapters of a story takes brain cells and willpower. Most don't have that.

No, the issue lies in the amount of times we see a story with low-quality or unreliable characters hit the trending page. That happens often enough for it to be a real problem. And would you like to guess what most of these stories have in common? Smut. Harems. SMUT AND HAREMS.

Someone once told me "J.R.R Tolkien couldn't make it on this site". They said that to illustrate why most original stories with worldbuilding and long plotlines don't do well here, but really, it's an indicator of how short and filthy most people prefer their fiction.

SmutHub? This is the first time I've heard that nickname used. But it definitely fits.

Edit: Also, the one time I involved sex scenes in a novel, that novel shot up to be my most popular, by a factor of about 5. And that novel has some iffy worldbuilding and plots. Don't believe me? Check out "Nexus" on my page and compare it to the other stories.
Sounds like projecting and being elitist.

I got into trending with my original, long novels multiple times and I have seen other unique, and well-written books are up there time after time.

HungrySheep

I like yuri

No, I'm pretty sure Tolkien could make it on this site easily if he kept the plot and changed all the protagonists to hot anime girls or something. No smut needed, just cute girls.

SailusGebel