so what are the rules in regards to comments in chapters. just had what i assume is the author deleting a whole comment chain

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
This is a completely idiotic idea for a review system. People already don't leave that many reviews and this would kill of that venue for feedback. Not to mention I'd rather not deal with "qualified" reviewers given the obvious divide between people that frequent this forum and people that just stick to the main site.
pfft. Nigga, what feedback? The whole damn point is that people either leave shitty one star reviews or vague 5 star reviews and even if they don't just spam one of those two, they still don't bother to actually WRITE a review anyway. So what, exactly, is your point? Least this way you wont have those problems and anyone who DOES get a review will know its actually a serious one. I dont need ten, i just need one that gives me actual advice or at least tells me where I'm weak.

I mean if you have a better idea, feel free to give it my dude. But if you're just gonna be negative about it, then eh. You can, but imma have to call ya a cunt. Cuz i dont mind holes being poked in my ideas, but not offering anything better while you do it is just right annoying.

Not like the idea will actually be implemented anyway tho. No one here listens to good ol' Cup. I wake up in the morning and piss excellence. I have master-class ideas coming out of my asshole on the daily. But does anyone take advantage of my genius? Not often, no. The world would have attained true utopian peace and prosperity years ago were it otherwise. *sigh*....I'm wasted on these people

Reactions: Ral

Ral

“You have to give an editor something to change, or he gets frustrated. After he pees in it himself, he likes the flavor much better, so he buys it.”​

― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Accepting criticism with grace is a skill, and if the author can't do that, he's only shooting himself in the foot. However, different readers also have different opinions, and it is wise to wait for a second or third opinion before making changes in some cases.
I really don't like that quote.

Seriously. In that situation, if the editor gives back the manuscript without doing anything, the author would feel like they are wasting their money for paying an editor (which is really expensive) to do nothing. If the editor force themselves to do something, the editor would look like a douche for nitpicking or just look incompetent. The editor is damned whatever they do.

bigbear51

pfft. Nigga, what feedback? The whole damn point is that people either leave shitty one star reviews or vague 5 star reviews and even if they don't just spam one of those two, they still don't bother to actually WRITE a review anyway. So what, exactly, is your point? Least this way you wont have those problems and anyone who DOES get a review will know its actually a serious one. I dont need ten, i just need one that gives me actual advice or at least tells me where I'm weak.

I mean if you have a better idea, feel free to give it my dude. But if you're just gonna be negative about it, then eh. You can, but imma have to call ya a cunt. Cuz i dont mind holes being poked in my ideas, but not offering anything better while you do it is just right annoying.

Not like the idea will actually be implemented anyway tho. No one here listens to good ol' Cup. I wake up in the morning and piss excellence. I have master-class ideas coming out of my asshole on the daily. But does anyone take advantage of my genius? Not often, no. The world would have attained true utopian peace and prosperity years ago were it otherwise. *sigh*....I'm wasted on these people
I'm not the one asking to change the system here, why would I suggest anything that would? I want there to be an unwritten rating system for when someone doesn't want to write a review, comments for things going on in said chapter or last few chapters. Not to mention a review system that doesn't limit itself to certain people, just like I don't want to limit the ability to publish stories to certain people. What do you know, that's something we already have.

And honestly, what good is there to adding more requirements and restrictions on people here? That's all that ever gets suggested half the time by a lot of the frequent users. Cover arts, complaining about popular genres or the trending page. People will like and dislike whatever they want for whatever reasons they have, so what? Not every story here, popular or not gets reviewed bombed with 1-stars all the time. There's clearly a reason for that, and it's not just because of trolls. These reviews and ratings aren't just for the authors, it for readers that could be interested in the story too.

bigbear51

That already exists in the form of rating any given number of stars. Just rate and move on tbh
I want there to be an unwritten rating system for when someone doesn't want to write a review, comments for things going on in said chapter or last few chapters. Not to mention a review system that doesn't limit itself to certain people, just like I don't want to limit the ability to publish stories to certain people. What do you know, that's something we already have.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I'm not the one asking to change the system here, why would I suggest anything that would? I want there to be an unwritten rating system for when someone doesn't want to write a review, comments for things going on in said chapter or last few chapters. Not to mention a review system that doesn't limit itself to certain people, just like I don't want to limit the ability to publish stories to certain people. What do you know, that's something we already have.

And honestly, what good is there to adding more requirements and restrictions on people here? That's all that ever gets suggested half the time by a lot of the frequent users. Cover arts, complaining about popular genres or the trending page. People will like and dislike whatever they want for whatever reasons they have, so what? Not every story here, popular or not gets reviewed bombed with 1-stars all the time. There's clearly a reason for that, and it's not just because of trolls. These reviews and ratings aren't just for the authors, it for readers that could be interested in the story too.
see part of the problem is people like you who apparently dont give a fuck that the problem exists and then goes, "Well why should I offer a solution?" Because, cunt,you got involved in a discussion about a solution.

People wouldn't be bitching about the rating and review system if so many goddamn people didn't abuse and misuse the damn thing, so again...whats your point? LIke i said, if you're gonna bitch about people tryna help instead of offering any kind of solution yourself, then shut the fuck up yo. I was polite the first time, but now you're being a bit ridiculous about it.

People DO like and dislike whatever they want. That isnt the problem. The problem is the abuse and misuse by everyone and their mother. You wont give damn cuz you dont get spammed with one stars or five star which dont help worth a damn. You dont care because you arent an author who wants ACTUAL FEEDBACK but instead get things like, "Thanks for the chapter" or "FIrst!" which are equally annoying an unhelpful.

But there's people here who would much rather that change, and if we have to add more restrictions to force people to stop their bullshit then oh well. Im sorry it INCONVENIENCES you, but its also an inconvenience to us when you dont offer anything meaningful or even just talk trash about our work.

People dont have to leave rates and reviews. Again, i'd rather just have one honest rating and review than one hundred 1 or 5 stars, or vague and unhelpful written reviews. I'd think other authors here are the same.

Why should we care about a person's freedom to rate and review freely when so many cant use it properly? The authors are the important people here, my dude. We're the ones making the content here. Not the readers. I dont get why imposing a bit more order is taken as a bad thing. If the readers were bit more responsible on their own, this wouldn't be an issue.

Because for all your talk about, "oh there's a reason people get review bombed and its not cuz of trolls" ...well guess what, buddy? THESE MOTHERFUCKERS NEED ACTUAL ADVICE ON HOW TO IMPROVE THEIR GODDAMN STORIES!

I dont mind poor reviews being spammed my way by everyone and their mother, but offer something i can use to improve myself for fuck's sake. Its not a hard thing to do, or ask.

Any we got off topic and i dont wanna make this a big whole argument so whatever your reply may be imma just stop it here. I said my piece. Laters yo~

Temple

On the idea that there should be restrictions on being a reviewer, that's not a very good idea for a site like this. If this was meant to be something like topwebfiction or something then yeah that's great. But for a site where everyone is free to publish and it's not even a review site then that will be bad. And an example of that would be a period in ancient RR history when a group of people turned themselves into "self-appointed" "unofficial" reviewers. Kind of hard to explain what happened back then in RR but it's one of the reasons RR is relatively harsh in reviews compared to other sites. People flock here to chill (people I know tell me to publish in SH because it's chill compared to RR) so let's just chill. A sort of certified reviewer system will kill this site

Ral

But for a site where everyone is free to publish and it's not even a review site then that will be bad.
I think it is a review site too. Sure it does publishing but it does allow for people to review. You can say a combination of the two.
People flock here to chill (people I know tell me to publish in SH because it's chill compared to RR) so let's just chill.
And I often see here people shouting "trolls" here (and getting depressed or something) whenever they get one star ratings and people complaining about the rating system because of "trolls" and abuses.

Maybe they are just the vocal minority but they don't really seem chill to me. Or maybe you can say SH becomes the go to for the delicate ones who cries foul for little slights.

Also common are people asking for feed-backs. It apparently is really scarce here.
A sort of certified reviewer system will kill this site
Maybe, maybe not. It would have been better if you elaborate as to why you believe so.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
@CupcakeNinja @bigbear51

Well we can combine both ideas. That is what some review sites (like RottenTomatoes or Metacritic) does.
what was his idea tho? Cuz rabbit said thats just the star system, which we have, and that's part of the problem. That people only leave those star. But that's not good enough, especially when so many people rate just 1 stars. I mentioned in the above rant, but don't mind 1 star ratings solong as they offer advice on how to make the story better.

So...its not really an idea? Its just keeping things the same. And as so many people agree,it don't work well. Not to say my idea would be any better if people don't apply to be a reviewer. i realize that. Still feel that if at least a few make that effort we'd see actually helpful advice being given tho. My idea working or not is highly conditional.
On the idea that there should be restrictions on being a reviewer, that's not a very good idea for a site like this. If this was meant to be something like topwebfiction or something then yeah that's great. But for a site where everyone is free to publish and it's not even a review site then that will be bad. And an example of that would be a period in ancient RR history when a group of people turned themselves into "self-appointed" "unofficial" reviewers. Kind of hard to explain what happened back then in RR but it's one of the reasons RR is relatively harsh in reviews compared to other sites. People flock here to chill (people I know tell me to publish in SH because it's chill compared to RR) so let's just chill. A sort of certified reviewer system will kill this site
aight. Why tho? No one will force people to rate or review, and i think most people don't anyway. The whole problem i have is that i cant trust half the rates and reviews here. If I have to impose restrictions and requirements to ensure honest and helpful rates and reviews, I will. Now that's not cuz i WANT to...but its simply the result of the readers' actions being irresponsible. Its not a review site, sure. Not the point.

We have the comment section too, so its not like people cant leave their opinions freely there. Lets just leave actual rates and reviews for people who are actually gonna be helpful. Fuck everyone who wont be. Those cunts had their chance...

Ral

what was his idea tho?
He just says he is fine with the current system. His idea is to keep the current system.
So...its not really an idea? Its just keeping things the same. And as so many people agree,it don't work well. Not to say my idea would be any better if people don't apply to be a reviewer. i realize that. Still feel that if at least a few make that effort we'd see actually helpful advice being given tho. My idea working or not is highly conditional.
That is still an idea, yes.

For me, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't really see any of the two being better than the other. It just depends on what you want or purpose.

So, maybe, we can combine the two. Essentially have two review systems hoping that we can get the best of two worlds.

Opmjc

just had what i assume is the author deleting a whole thread because he doent want critic and literally told somebody to "please fuck off" logged in today and the whole thing is just gone. does the author have jurisdiction in the comment section? makes sense I guess but the dudes way of handling interaction in the comment section it a bit annoying. he can not take and kind of criticism without replying with a dismissive attitude. bit miffed that me and another guy spent our time typing out with valid critic trying to help. and he just deletes it all because if your not a yes man he has an issue with you at best and insults are more common
I only loved to be corrected, I don't want any curses at all.

I really don't know what to react if anyone comments on my novel like,

''Your novel is cliché.''

''Your novel is not worth reading at all.''

Well who wanted that comment anyway? Can't he just say,

''Hey Author, this part of the chapter here have a grammar issue.''

????

Is there a person like that?

Yes, there is and it is only found on scribblehub, but Idk how this guy got here.

Aaky

He just says he is fine with the current system. His idea is to keep the current system.

That is still an idea, yes.

For me, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't really see any of the two being better than the other. It just depends on what you want or purpose.

So, maybe, we can combine the two. Essentially have two review systems hoping that we can get the best of two worlds.

This just sounds centrist as fuck. Compromise for sake of compromise.

You know, I think RR has it better, you can't give a rating unless you have at least read one chapter. While webnovel has no star system, you instead need to actually write a review with a specific amount of words.

I believe that the star system should be removed, and instead replaced with a review system. Anyone who has read at least one chapter is free to review it, but the review will be public.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
...and a couple of hours later, there is another problem (sort of, not really) about the commentary section of the translators in NU. We are really doing good shit in debunking pointless/ unnecessarily-mean-yet-unhelpful readers' comments aren't we?

bigbear51

We have the comment section too, so its not like people cant leave their opinions freely there.
Man, if only we weren't on a thread talking about how authors can delete whatever comments they want to.

You dont care because you arent an author who wants ACTUAL FEEDBACK but instead get things like, "Thanks for the chapter" or "FIrst!" which are equally annoying an unhelpful.

You don't know me as an author, so maybe cool it with the personal attacks. I'm just saying that I believe the suggestion that you've given, and the idea of why you feel the system needs to change is wrong. I'm not going after you here.

While webnovel has no star system, you instead need to actually write a review with a specific amount of words.
Technically it does have a star system since it gets converted to being out of five anyway and requiring a word count has lead to some of the reviews I've gotten to just be filled with emojis to round out the count. But that said, one thing I do like about the review system is that you can rate certain aspects of the story out of five. Such as grammar, plot, update rate, etc. That would probably be better if someone wanted more clear feedback on what was wrong. Of course we'll run into the issue of what people consider to be "valuable" categories, and people will still call low ratings trolls. Which I guess would have more credence since it's unlikely anyone would post a story that deserves 1 stars across the board, for example.

Like I've said for why my "idea" is to keep the system as is. The five star rating system is supposed to show general consensus. That's it. Just a quick thing to show that readers either do or do not like a story and to what extent. Take that what you will if you're the author of the story. Chances are, one can conclude the reason why based on what story they wanted to tell. Then written reviews, of which I don't believe there should be limitations on who can make one. Nor should their be a divide between "qualified" or "unqualified" reviewers as suggested by someone else. Even with how few people leave one on story they like or dislike, they generally have been making an attempt to describe what they liked or disliked about it. I've said it before that these reviews are also for readers to decide if they want to spend the time reading to a certain point. And understanding readers' tastes are a part of becoming a better writer in my eyes.

Comments as a form of feedback may be hit or miss. If it's not the general fluff, then it's more for discussion of what's going on or questions. It may not be what most people are looking for in terms of learning, but I do have a bit of fun engaging with others. That's just me though, so don't take that as a statement of fact for others.

Ral

This just sounds centrist as fuck. Compromise for sake of compromise.
So, what is exactly is wrong with it? You can't complain and give no justification. And no, adding "fuck" or labels like "centrist" isn't going to cut it nor add anything to the discussion. You are just making attacks. You are just disagreeing just to disagree.
You know, I think RR has it better, you can't give a rating unless you have at least read one chapter. While webnovel has no star system, you instead need to actually write a review with a specific amount of words.
Opinion. Actually, I'm of the same opinion, but this has nothing to do with the discussion isn't it?
I believe that the star system should be removed, and instead replaced with a review system. Anyone who has read at least one chapter is free to review it, but the review will be public.
Huh. I actually have the same opinion about the star system. I believe it is kinda garbage.

Ral

Man, if only we weren't on a thread talking about how authors can delete whatever comments they want to.
:ROFLMAO: I kinda noticed that too.
The five star rating system is supposed to show general consensus. That's it. Just a quick thing to show that readers either do or do not like a story and to what extent.
Uh… No. It is supposed to show the general quality of the story. It comes from the idea that the average of ratings from several sources converge close to the actual quality/quantity.
Take that what you will if you're the author of the story. Chances are, one can conclude the reason why based on what story they wanted to tell.
Uh… No. What exactly can you conclude from a rating?
Then written reviews, of which I don't believe there should be limitations on who can make one.
And others believe otherwise.
Nor should their be a divide between "qualified" or "unqualified" reviewers as suggested by someone else.
You mean me? Seriously, why use the word qualified and unqualified? I didn't use those labels. What exactly is your point on using such unappealing labels? Just so that my idea would look bad?
Even with how few people leave one on story they like or dislike, they generally have been making an attempt to describe what they liked or disliked about it.
Uh… No. Most ratings doesn't have a corresponding review that describe what they like or disliked.
I've said it before that these reviews are also for readers to decide if they want to spend the time reading to a certain point. And understanding readers' tastes are a part of becoming a better writer in my eyes.
At this point, it seems you are confusing rating and reviews and treat them as if they are the same thing.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Maybe, maybe not. It would have been better if you elaborate as to why you believe so.
i assume he means cuz people dont want that freedom taken away or controlled. But i always say that if people cant be responsible with their freedoms then they don't deserve them. It sucks for the people who ARE responsible, but thats how it is.
True haha. Well i feel only scummy authors would delete comments tho. I did say i would delete comments too i think, if people were just talking trash. But if the comments are reasonable, even if its really negative about my work i don't feel the need to. There's a certain level of toxicity that is required before i would even consider deleting a comment. I feel other authors who're reasonable themselves would be the same. You know, have a tolerance. But this thread is about authors who're trigger happy with deleting criticism, so yeah. Its kinda ironic saying, "oh well they still have the comment section."

You don't know me as an author, so maybe cool it with the personal attacks. I'm just saying that I believe the suggestion that you've given, and the idea of why you feel the system needs to change is wrong. I'm not going after you here.
Ya know what...that's pretty fair lol. I just assumed you weren't, but then again i don't really read stories here so how the fuck would i know who's an author or not? I do regret that sentence. I try not to make statements like that which assume things about people without any basis, but it still happens.

bigbear51

So, what is exactly is wrong with it? You can't complain and give no justification. And no, adding "fuck" or labels like "centrist" isn't going to cut it nor add anything to the discussion. You are just making attacks. You are just disagreeing just to disagree.
Probably because it doesn't make sense to put those ideas together when they have different goals in mind? The whole point of there being "qualified" reviewers, which by the way...

(if its really big the number of qualified reviewers may not be enough for so many submitted works)

Cupcake used first and I don't have another word for calling someone that has to be checked before being allow to review under his system. But on topic, that wouldn't stop troll reviews if all you did was divide between the two. Then you'd end up with people just ignoring one or the other which isn't good for either sets of reviewers because what would be the point if people ignored you? Then there's the thing where if you wanted a specific reviewer for better feedback, we already have that in the forums where you can ask people for help.

Uh… No. It is supposed to show the general quality of the story. It comes from the idea that the average of ratings from several sources converge close to the actual quality/quantity.
And how do people rate stories? By generally going for how much they enjoyed it. For its accuracy, one could argue against a scale. Though chances are if people aren't liking the story, it's not of that great of a quality, with some exceptions.
Uh… No. What exactly can you conclude from a rating?
Those exceptions being if the story entertains or showcases certain controversial topics among the readers. NTR and rape being some of the bigger examples, but I'm sure there's more.
Uh… No. Most ratings doesn't have a corresponding review that describe what they like or disliked.
You took the time to quote out a bunch that I wrote and somehow didn't understand that I'm talking about written reviews on their own. Perhaps I should've cut them into different paragraphs, but you very clearly read the words before it. So please don't misrepresent what I'm saying.

CL

I'm apologizing for how this sounds, but I want an answer on one thing: what good reason would someone desire an unwritten rating system other than them being too lazy to leave feedback? In my opinion, if you (wait, who's "you"?) are putting in the effort to praise or trash someone's novel, then why not give your reason? What did you find that was good or bad? What is your excuse that you can't be bothered to talk? This is a website full of stories that takes longer to read than it would watching its (hypothetically speaking) animated or live adaption. You can't take a minute to say something? Now that I had just said all of that that's not being lazy, that's stupid. What the hell is your problem (I still don't know who "you" is here)?