Some Cultural Foodstuffs...

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

Out of all of my culture's food, there is only one thing I gave a 10/10.

Of course its Maja Blanca

Here is the thing tho. It melts directly in your mouth making for a soft eat. Also, the fact that it is not very sweet and can be eaten by those who are on a diet.
Its coconut flavor plus added with corn is such a delicate feeling. In my opinion, Pf all deserts in my culture, this one tops it.
Ah yes, Maja Blanca is great as well, though because of diabetes, I couldn't eat it anymore.

And uh, what do you call this yellow, bar-like native dessert with cheese? I also like that one.

D

Deleted member 29316

We will deep fry anything, including air and water.
Btw, I suddenly remember that we got a restaurant here (name's Zark's) that serve American food (cheeseburgers, bacon-wrapped cheeseburgers, etc.). They had this food on their menu that is a dessert of deep-fried Snickers.

Like, what the heck, such thing is possible?!

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Btw, I suddenly remember that we got a restaurant here (name's Zark's) that serve American food (cheeseburgers, bacon-wrapped cheeseburgers, etc.). They had this food on their menu that is a dessert of deep-fried Snickers.

Like, what the heck, such thing is possible?!
Ehh, low bar to clear. Deep fried ice cream, deep fried bacon burger with cheese, deep fried ice cubes even.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

Derrax

Well, I'm french, so snails and frogs it is!

I've never eaten frogs though, but I've heard they taste like chicken. For snails, the frozen stuff that you put in the oven is fine, but you need to be careful. They taste like seafood but with a lot more flavor, so eat some bread with them to even out the taste.

While they are the most famous, meat dishes and cheese are the most widespread. Every region has a speciality, it's actually stagering! Crêpe salée, tartiflette, quiche lorraine, steak tartare... And I'm only showing you the top of the iceberg! Try out some good ol' cheese! (be careful though, some cheese can be quite nasty)

I don't know much about wine though, but well, everyone knows how good ours is.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Ei there mate! Vegemite is comparable to our Balut. Foreigners are averted to it, but we locals love it. (I don't though...my uric acid gets high.)
Uwaah, that's some weird shit. :blob_shock::blob_shock::blob_shock:

but yeah, its always funny watching foreigners (especially americans) trying to eat vegemite with a spoon :blobrofl: :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

D

Deleted member 29316

Well, I'm french, so snails and frogs it is!

I've never eaten frogs though, but I've heard they taste like chicken. For snails, the frozen stuff that you put in the oven is fine, but you need to be careful. They taste like seafood but with a lot more flavor, so eat some bread with them to even out the taste.

While they are the most famous, meat dishes and cheese are the most widespread. Every region has a speciality, it's actually stagering! Crêpe salée, tartiflette, quiche lorraine, steak tartare... And I'm only showing you the top of the iceberg! Try out some good ol' cheese! (be careful though, some cheese can be quite nasty)

I don't know much about wine though, but well, everyone knows how good ours is.
I wanted to try French cuisine sometime 😉😁

I don't know if it's still a thing, but I'd like to eat a Pot-au-feu.

D

Deleted member 29316

Uwaah, that's some weird shit. :blob_shock::blob_shock::blob_shock:

but yeah, its always funny watching foreigners (especially americans) trying to eat vegemite with a spoon :blobrofl: :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:
Yep, it's perfectly understandable. I mean, we even have a belief that the Balut is being sold at night because we don't want to see what it actually looked like.

Personally, I don't like it either. 😁

By the way, I'd like to ask, is Vegemite with health benefits? I mean, they tell me it has, but I don't know much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luxican

Austria is mostly known for all kinds of different dumplings, bread, cake and creamy pastries, especially popular are chocolate-y things. An example is the Sachertorte. Most sweets in Austria are actually made sweeter than usual,lol.
As for salty stuff(dumplings can be either sweet or salty) Wiener Schnitzel, roasted meat and sausage are probably the most famous.

It's pretty similar to Germany actually, although in Germany (or at least where my grandparents are from) root vegetables are a lot more commonly used (potatoes, carrots, sugar beet,... ).

To sum it up, everything is either really sweet or oily lol.

D

Deleted member 29316

"Ukrainian" in descent, calls them "pierogis". Seems legit.
Is there something I need to know here? 😅

Edit: Pierogi is like our 'siomai' which is originally a Chinese food that's popular with the Filipino common folk lately. Compared to Pierogi, Siomai is filled with meat and other spices.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 29316

Austria is mostly known for all kinds of different dumplings, bread, cake and creamy pastries, especially popular are chocolate-y things. An example is the Sachertorte. Most sweets in Austria are actually made sweeter than usual,lol.
As for salty stuff(dumplings can be either sweet or salty) Wiener Schnitzel, roasted meat and sausage are probably the most famous.

It's pretty similar to Germany actually, although in Germany (or at least where my grandparents are from) root vegetables are a lot more commonly used (potatoes, carrots, sugar beet,... ).

To sum it up, everything is either really sweet or oily lol.
Ooh...my image of Austria in food is more on the German side, like beer and sausages. Glad that there's another side to it I haven't discovered yet. 😉

SailusGebel

It's hard to name something that is exclusively a pride of my country. As we tended to take many things from neighboring countries long ago. I guess you can name different soups as the most traditional food. The most famous would be 'Shchi'. Its main ingredients are cabbage or sauerkraut, or both, carrots, onions, some kind of meat. Of course in different parts of the country, the ingredients would differ greatly, except the cabbage. Cabbage is the main part of this soup.

Also, 'Kvass' kind of fits the bill. It's usually maid as a non-alcoholic carbonated sweet drink from rye, or rye bread. However, if it's made by a smaller manufacturer, or by your own hands, it can contain alcohol in it. You can also add different ingredients like berries, herbs, honey, and so on.

Angry_Clown

@SailusGebel

Pelmeni? Rassolnik? Beef Stroganoff (although it's rather generic). Zefir? Pastila?

I mean, there's plenty of things that are strictly Russian cuisine.

SailusGebel

@SailusGebel

Pelmeni? Rassolnik? Beef Stroganoff (although it's rather generic). Zefir? Pastila?

I mean, there's plenty of things that are strictly Russian cuisine.
The world thinks so. While if you say it, in a company of Belarussian and Ukrainian they would say it's their food. And they would be right, as most of the cuisine came to us from long ago, while it was all a part of a single state. So strictly speaking, Russian cuisine doesn't exist. As Russia was an empire before, then the Soviet Union, absorbing all the kinds of different food from all over the giant territory. And then it broke down, leaving us with a large variety of food, yet I can't say we have something exclusive to us. At least from my point of view. Also, don't mix up Russian cuisine that is promoted in restaurants all over the world and the real staple food everyone eats.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
Yep, it's perfectly understandable. I mean, we even have a belief that the Balut is being sold at night because we don't want to see what it actually looked like.

Personally, I don't like it either. 😁

By the way, I'd like to ask, is Vegemite with health benefits? I mean, they tell me it has, but I don't know much.
yep, it is actually (mostly) healthy. packed full of b vitamins and potassium, fat free, no added sugar and certified halal, kosher and vegan friendly. it does have a high sodium level that but there's a low sodium version as well.
it's such a good source of vitamins it's been included in australian military rations since WW2.