Started writing after getting sick of reading

FearlessCloud01

So, I was just wondering, how many of you guys out there began writing novels because you got bored of reading the content already being published and thought to create what you'd like to read?

I, for example, am a new author who began writing my first ever novel about a month back because I got sick of all the glorification of cultivation and China that was being published everywhere I looked.

The authors just loved to juice out the wuxia/xianxia genres so much that there seemed to be almost no series about the importance of science and the development of civilisation.

Like, some genius cultivator MC meditates for 5 years straight and gets complete immunity against nukes and stuff and starts spitting on all the effort and resources that humans have spent over the centuries to develop civilisation. (I haven't read anything like this but the idea doesn't sound too far-fetched.)

That's why I started writing a series trying to make science and tech and sci-fi stand over this stuff.

I used to be a regular reader before this, with not a thought of writing something on my own but I ended up suddenly publishing a series.

So, are there any others who started like me, as readers who got sick of reading? And how successful did you guys get? (Idk, maybe like ended up creating a completely new overly used topic for writing...)

My series: Wrecking Fantasy with Technology

Last edited:

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
That's me in these past three years. Mostly dissatisfied with characters that is why I chose to make one that doesn't poke my nerves. But before that I just write whatever popped in my head. Side effects of too much anime...

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
I write because I had it in me to create something good. Although, I got tired of seriously making good ones. So I mainly make a mess of my stories in this account and put them on hiatus. :blob_okay:

EternalSunset0

Not so much for me. I got to writing for the sake of making pandemic quarantine productive. Also, I looked up to a lot of anime and light novels (mostly those that inspired my work), so I want to make a work that can be similar or on-par with those and hopefully evoke the same feelings onto a few people. Plus, I get to own characters and play god with them, handle their fate, and put down some imagined scenes that I fantasized about on paper.

Having a story also gave me a motivation to start drawing characters and learning the craft, a bit more seriously than a few years ago, at least..

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Mine is just almost falling into a fujoshi's hole to try and write BL that I just somehow write my own shounen-like video game tournament arc after realizing I could put less effort on writing than drawing. I was a lazy bastard but have the creative juices most authors want to have yet because I don't really want to work hard drawing that she kinda gave me a new career path to be more lazy to head towards.

So, either my career be being a mangaka, a fundashi mangaka, a hard-working novelist, a BL novelist or....

considering my constant dropping of novels and my motivation being the lowest as I can get, you can see what career I kinda picked...

TotallyHuman

I'm sure it's the majority of the readers here. I personally was dissatisfied with how magic was treated in novels.
Like, magic is supernatural (duh). As in Super-natural. As in above natural. As in, beyond science.
So why tf does every novel has a thing that is everywhere in the atmosphere (like mana) and it by itself allows to do magic and is a part of the world? As in, a part of nature? And easily at that?
And, why do people think that there would be magic in some underdeveloped civilizations from our middle ages when to use magic literally implies to do something beyond what is natural? Wouldn't studying magic require expertise on anything and everything in the world way beyond whatever science can offer? Am I making sense?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I took my own advice, "if you don't like what you read, write it yourself," and after a year, I want to kill myself.

bigbear51

I wasn't too concerned with what other authors were doing. I only do it because I think I have good ideas. Other than that, it doesn't really matter much to me what type of stories those people are doing. You know, since people seem to like reading them.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Same as some authors on this thread: I write because of my admiration for previous works rather than dissatisfaction. Rather than "doing better", I want to do the same but with my own voice.

Also stories synergize perfectly with every other arts so it's perfect for people who have random talents they want to exploit lol.

FearlessCloud01

I'm sure it's the majority of the readers here. I personally was dissatisfied with how magic was treated in novels.
Like, magic is supernatural (duh). As in Super-natural. As in above natural. As in, beyond science.
So why tf does every novel has a thing that is everywhere in the atmosphere (like mana) and it by itself allows to do magic and is a part of the world? As in, a part of nature? And easily at that?
And, why do people think that there would be magic in some underdeveloped civilizations from our middle ages when to use magic literally implies to do something beyond what is natural? Wouldn't studying magic require expertise on anything and everything in the world way beyond whatever science can offer? Am I making sense?
That's a nice question. I myself hadn't realised it. (I suppose that it can be passed off as creative license or something.)
Maybe it's like, they focused too much on individual strength and never really worked towards improving humanity as a whole.
So, maybe, they are in the 32nd century but are still stuck in the medieval era in terms of development since all geniuses focused on making themselves stronger and also tried to remove any other strong people to maintain their power. And because of the fantasy elements, it was possible to do so. Just a guess though.
But what I did wonder was how come everyone in the isekai could easily use those gaming RPG systems. Like, no character seems to question its origins. Even the transmigrated characters just accept it on the go. No one seems to ask simple questions like "Why was it made?" or "How does it work?". They just take the fact that their entire life can be decided based on a bunch of numbers written on (usually) a floating, half-transparent board as the most natural thing.
Same as some authors on this thread: I write because of my admiration for previous works rather than dissatisfaction. Rather than "doing better", I want to do the same but with my own voice.

Also stories synergize perfectly with every other arts so it's perfect for people who have random talents they want to exploit lol.
I used to think once that I should try this, but at that time, my plotline basically revolved around introducing one overly OP MC who would come in with the knowledge of the original story and end a 1000+ chapter series in like 5 chapters at best.
I was neither really confident in my writing ability (still am not) nor was I really looking to write stuff.

TotallyHuman

I write because I had it in me to create something good. Although, I got tired of seriously making good ones. So I mainly make a mess of my stories in this account and put them on hiatus. :blob_okay:
O-onii-chan? Is that you??? Cause this way of writing makes you my brethren

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I started as a kid, when my family didn't have the internet but we had an old computer in my bedroom. It was another way of playing.

I don't generally write to fill a hole in my reading tastes, but I read less because I fulfill my own tastes and therefore raise my standards...

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
imma be real wit you: i just want that slice of author clout. there's nothing more appetizing to my ego than to see someone praising my own creation.

that's partly the reason why I started writing.

TotallyHuman

Maybe it's like, they focused too much on individual strength and never really worked towards improving humanity as a whole.
So, maybe, they are in the 32nd century but are still stuck in the medieval era in terms of development since all geniuses focused on making themselves stronger and also tried to remove any other strong people to maintain their power. And because of the fantasy elements, it was possible to do so. Just a guess though.
In my stories there's usually a huge disparity in terms of knowledge and education between classes.
The best mages know more than our entire civilization will probably ever discover, travelling (and colonizing sometimes) universes and doing all kinds of degenerate things to get more knowledge, while the normal folk has to rely on sold magical appliances to barely maintain a somewhat modern lifestyle because 1) magic renders any sophisticated technology ineffective due to its supernatural properties and 2) if there's magic in the world, it becomes warped, creating all kinds of dangers, ranging from monsters all the way to trapping entire regions in time loops.
But what I did wonder was how come everyone in the isekai could easily use those gaming RPG systems. Like, no character seems to question its origins. Even the transmigrated characters just accept it on the go. No one seems to ask simple questions like "Why was it made?" or "How does it work?". They just take the fact that their entire life can be decided based on a bunch of numbers written on (usually) a floating, half-transparent board as the most natural thing.
I've seen many stories that explain the how's and whys of rpgs in isekais

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
O-onii-chan? Is that you??? Cause this way of writing makes you my brethren
I've learned it from my great ancestors who were once Chinese. Moreover, my name's Motsu—not onii-chan nor onee-baba. And I believe my way of writing is the normal way to write. That makes you my brethren too.

EternalSunset0

imma be real wit you: i just want that slice of author clout. there's nothing more appetizing to my ego than to see someone praising my own creation.

that's partly the reason why I started writing.
Don't we all :blob_hmm:

megu3

I've been watching a lot of anime, reading manga and lns that before I knew it, I wanted to make my own.
Of course I can't make an anime and my works will never get adapted to anime unless I learn to write in Japanese but that's all I can do. I can't draw manga, but writing is quite easy and that's why I decided to do that.