The Adventum Contest

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Just to clarify, does a structured magic-system based on a scientific approach alone or science that is based on magic and magical ingredients alone count?
Can you give me examples of what you mean?

Quaesitor

Can you give me examples of what you mean?
For the science that is based on magic and magical ingredients, I mean something of the sort that, for example, creates metal alloys with alchemical processes where the essence of various metals, herbs, and other things (like liquified essence) are fused together. Or using stuff like "magical field interference" to layer multiple weak magical effects to create a different, but stronger one. Or using magical crystals as a medium to transform one kind of energy into another, turning electricity into heat and vice versa to build complex automated machines which, for example, construct golems.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
For the science that is based on magic and magical ingredients, I mean something of the sort that, for example, creates metal alloys with alchemical processes where the essence of various metals, herbs, and other things (like liquified essence) are fused together. Or using stuff like "magical field interference" to layer multiple weak magical effects to create a different, but stronger one. Or using magical crystals as a medium to transform one kind of energy into another, turning electricity into heat and vice versa to build complex automated machines which, for example, construct golems.
Yeah that's fine, as long as you can exemplify what makes it different from normal magic.

cryum

Maybe I should give it a shot. More drabble of various magitek than a real story, though.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Nooooooooooooooooo.....

Damn! I was too early. I just posted my new novel a few days ago:blob_shock::blob_shock::blob_facepalm::blob_facepalm:

I should have waited.:blob_popcorn_two::blob_popcorn_two:

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Okay, so I've decided to make a novel for this competition.

It'll be called Archaic Princess and would have the theme of monster reincarnation and a mix of fantasy and Scifi (think cyberpunk or maybe solarpunk)

Yiphen

Chaotic Lil' Demon
Is it just me or are these contests decided by who can post the most chapters?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Is it just me or are these contests decided by who can post the most chapters?
Why would you think so? More chapters would get you the most exposure but the last contest wasn't won by the one with the most chapters.

Last edited:

Yiphen

Chaotic Lil' Demon
Why would you think so? More chapters would get you the most exposure but the last contest wasn't won by the one with the most chapters.
My main thing has to do with the exposure. Between someone who posts a chapter a day and a chapter a week, if their quality is good and each chapter brings in roughly the same amount of new readers, then the one who posts more frequently will end up with more. I'm also imagining there are people who posted 500-word chapters every day when they could've done a single 4k-word chapter a week.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
My main thing has to do with the exposure. Between someone who posts a chapter a day and a chapter a week, if their quality is good and each chapter brings in roughly the same amount of new readers, then the one who posts more frequently will end up with more. I'm also imagining there are people who posted 500-word chapters every day when they could've done a single 4k-word chapter a week.
In terms of exposure, that's really out of our control but I would say it's not a definite causation relationship between posting more and winning the completion. As I mentioned before the previous contest winner didn't have the most chapter posted.

>do not use stolen artwork for your story cover.

just a question though. does the story need a cover? since i'm kinda lazy to make one and i just want to participate.

Help

So there isn't any time limit to entering? You can just wait for the last few days and post then, even if it lessens your chances of winning?

Mihou

Firefly—
So there isn't any time limit to entering? You can just wait for the last few days and post then, even if it lessens your chances of winning?
You are given until August 17th to reach 40k word count.
You can enter at any time though if you are confident at reaching the minimum word count before August 17th

glenn-fletcher

I really shouldn't be starting another story... but I've had an idea in mind that I've wanted to do for a while that fits well. Is part of the judging based on how well you stick to the theme?

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
I really shouldn't be starting another story... but I've had an idea in mind that I've wanted to do for a while that fits well. Is part of the judging based on how well you stick to the theme?
As long as you fit with the theme, then it's fine. The winner will be decided through the number of readers a story gains.

Rellawing

Optimistic Kitten
If I had nothing going on currently, I would, but... it's a tall order and a new series too. XD

D

Deleted member 19049

Hm, I've never entered a contest, but I might do this one. Probably going to do an action-oriented kingdom builder because action is my thing and normally kingdom-building stuff only has action as an afterthought, so it makes mine semi-different. I'd like to set it in a universe I've already created so I can keep the same ruleset with my magic system, but I guess that wouldn't be allowed.