The novels people like DO reflect who they really are.

DWinchester

Not long ago I asked why people like reading stories that glorify their main characters doing horrible stuff

Did you try filing a report with the story police? They take accusations like this very seriously. You can be sure they will get to the bottom of things.

When I pointed out how revolting that was,

Revolting? How judgmental.

to appeal to people who fantasize about making others suffer without fear of repercussions.

Making others suffer without repercussions? Is it just me or is that the whole point of this thread?

PrinceyLeggles

Not long ago I asked why people like reading stories that glorify their main characters doing horrible stuff. I was told that it's all just escapism and that it doesn't translate to them being awful people in real life, but I have first-hand experience on that not being true.
When I pointed out how revolting that was, the author posted a rant to mark me as one such acceptable target. And as expected of the kind of audience such a novel would attract, they all began shitting on me endlessly and coming to give my novel bad ratings.
You do bring up an interesting point, and while not everyone who reads books like these are necessarily bad people, It makes sense that they can also have a very obsessive and toxic fandom... and honestly these people sound terrible.

forli

Seriously, why would I involve my readers in any of that?
You are the one who got your readers involved the first time, so it's easy for me to believe that you did it again.

But f*ck, now I don't know. The only one I know for sure came from your story was the one from 2 weeks ago, it seemed obvious that the one from yesterday was from there also since it was so close, so I assumed that you had to be involved for there to be more than one. But I guess I don't know that since I don't know who it was.

forli

Oh, yeah, the side tangent that was "relevant" (I can't even call it relevant) for 3-5 chapters about a badly written race with an unjustified superior complex that is disliked by other races because they start fights they can't win. Not because of who they are, but what they do and act like.
Okay, to be fair again, it might be more than 5 chapters by now, because there has been a foundation for a redemption arc been laid.
That's what I ended up believing the first time because I wanted a reason to not be bothered by it anymore.

But a couple of months ago I stumbled into those 'Earth' chapters, which got on my head, and I made the mistake of wanting to see if there was any more nuance added at some point, since you said that you regretted writing them that way. So I searched for the word 'human' all over the novel, and all I found was more and more doubling down on making humans worthless and more extreme racism and proposals of genocide from the main characters.

On one hand, that's probably not a good method of looking at it. On the other hand, you wrote a chapter in which the main character brutally tortures a prisoner of war because she doesn't like his race and that's treated as being ok. A chapter with comments such as:
-Wow that insect become much more reasonable after the "war" :3-
And I couldn't help but find that extremely disturbing.

I didn't see anything about a "redemption arc".

Desustar

On the other hand, you wrote a chapter in which the main character brutally tortures a prisoner of war because she doesn't like his race and that's treated as being ok. A chapter with comments such as:
-Wow that insect become much more reasonable after the "war" :3-
now I have to read this

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Reading this thread is like being back in high school.

Hurt feelings, baseless accusations, no proof being posted (from either side), hastily drawn conclusions, ah... the nostalgia.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Reading this thread is like being back in high school.

Hurt feelings, baseless accusations, no proof being posted (from either side), hastily drawn conclusions, ah... the nostalgia.

:blob_happy:Lol, what are you talking about?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
@Paul_Tromba I liked it. Although I was almost shanked once at the end of it, it was fun for four years. I would gladly redo it again. :blob_cookie:
Probably not in modern day. It's weird now. Had a friend of my family that was expelled for spraying a furry student with water because they kept harassing/bullying them.

Arkus86

Can one of the involved parties post the actual rant that is at the core of this argument? I would like to judge for myself, but while the stories in question are simple enough to find, I'm not about to sift through 100s of chapters just to find one comment.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
@Paul_Tromba Ah. Luckily that still did not reach down here. We are always lagging behind by around 5 to 10 years in trends compared to the West.

Besides the broccoli hairstyles of today, the rest are not that present/noticeable. For now.