Threshold For Randomness

pojlk

Hello there, Hub enjoyers, very new person here. As the author of a relatively random story, I'm quite curious about y'all guy's threshold for randomness, your propensity for bullshit, your tolerance for utter shenaniganary of the nonsensical kind before it just becomes too much and you decide the story is just not worth it anymore. Now, by randomness, obviously I mean by events or decisions that just seem out of left field, stuff that makes no sense with or without context, whether it be for comedic effect, a last minute decision by the author, or a shitty attempt at a plot twist. Personally, my threshold is alarmingly high only because I take absolute joy in reading absurdity that would make a chat group fanfic blush.

Feel free to state your opinion, or rate your threshold from a 1 to 10, or even use my custom-made scale I made for this exact thread. It goes from "I hate randomness in my stories more than I hate unedited machine translations" to "I love randomness so much that I would watch a Nickelodeon live-action sitcom centered around the daughter of Nyarlathotep and her found family consisting of adoptive father Wade Wilson, adoptive sisters Akai Haato and Junko fucking Enoshima, and their pet robot dog controlled by Twitch Chat."

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
I like you, you'll fit in here very well :blobreading:

Also, 3, not for the sake of continuing the chain

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
Hello there, Hub enjoyers, very new person here. As the author of a relatively random story, I'm quite curious about y'all guy's threshold for randomness, your propensity for bullshit, your tolerance for utter shenaniganary of the nonsensical kind before it just becomes too much and you decide the story is just not worth it anymore. Now, by randomness, obviously I mean by events or decisions that just seem out of left field, stuff that makes no sense with or without context, whether it be for comedic effect, a last minute decision by the author, or a shitty attempt at a plot twist. Personally, my threshold is alarmingly high only because I take absolute joy in reading absurdity that would make a chat group fanfic blush.

Feel free to state your opinion, or rate your threshold from a 1 to 10, or even use my custom-made scale I made for this exact thread. It goes from "I hate randomness in my stories more than I hate unedited machine translations" to "I love randomness so much that I would watch a Nickelodeon live-action sitcom centered around the daughter of Nyarlathotep and her found family consisting of adoptive father Wade Wilson, adoptive sisters Akai Haato and Junko fucking Enoshima, and their pet robot dog controlled by Twitch Chat."
I feel like it depends on the story but usually I’d say a 7

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Read Isekai tower defense and it will explain everything.

Tempokai

Overworked One
5. While the randomness is good in moderate amounts. It all boils down to a genre. If a cliche riddled genre, then the randomness is good. If a some serious detective genre where everything is serious, no.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
5 - 8 depending on the plot, settings, and characters

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Obligatory "Over 9.000" comment.

5-7. Completely railroading everything would make it predictable to the reader and some "random" elements are to be expected no matter what happens.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
1-3 for a serious story.
10-Unlimited for lighthearted/fun stories.

OP1000

I would say 5, because I do not mind some random events taking place in stories as long as there are not too many of them in the story.