Trending

minacia

perpetually sour
Lol, u would lose a lot of readers! But sneaky idea!
I do think there are probably some release schedules that are more amenable to trending.

For instance, if you update every other day, or mass update every once in a while.

I was updating every day for a while, so my daily view count has always been relatively steady (the highest I ever got was #14, but most days I'm not even on the list), although I suspected for a while that if I stopped and started releasing again, it might push things a bit higher.

That said, I also told myself that I update every day because I feel like it -- and I shouldn't change my release schedule just to get trending.

Besides... even if I got on trending, I would probably be rating bombed with 1-stars. :sweat_smile:

So I'm happy with writing at my pace.

Queenfisher

Bird?
I don't know if I should cry at the unfairness of it all. Will I never get on the trending page?
View attachment 5101

It's not just views, it's a combo of several things. Most of them you cannot see from the outside. (Also, don't ask what they are ^^. Or the trending mechanism would have to be changed for the fear of abuse. But just... use your author tab and see if something there gives you ideas :blob_hide:).

As for why everyone wants to get into trending. Because it boosts your novel so much. You can easily double or triple your views and gain a lot of new readers. You can do it by just posting regularly, but the process would be much slower.
Though the recognition brings trolls and haters, it as well brings a lot of readers who enjoy your novel. They didn't bother or didn't have time to look for a novel, but when it gets into trending they click there and think, 'how come this gem was unnoticed'?

I don't want to get on trending, and I've been there twice -____-. Being on trending sucks...

I want an ability to opt out of it, actually. Even when I rarely get there, I only take up space from those who can actually benefit from it, so it feels doubly depressing.

Besides... even if I got on trending, I would probably be rating bombed with 1-stars. :sweat_smile:

Yes, this. Some novels just do not go well with trending. And it's not so much being rating-bombed as it is literally useless because all the views you get (and by "you" I mean myself of course ^^) are hollow and all the readers aren't going to stay/read your book. Not once did I manage to get my actual readers from trending, simply because it favors only a certain kind of reader/author, and my writing is the opposite of that... ╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Plus, certain readers (like myself) have learned to ignore Trending altogether because almost nothing there appeals to us. The only issue with this that I see is that a lot of readers like myself would be deterred from giving the site a second chance or registering on it just because the front page seems to appeal only to certain slices of audiences. It kind of... misadvertises what the site can actually offer, I think, :blob_sweat:

SailusGebel

It's not just views, it's a combo of several things. Most of them you cannot see from the outside. (Also, don't ask what they are ^^. Or the trending mechanism would have to be changed for the fear of abuse. But just... use your author tab and see if something there gives you ideas :blob_hide:).

I don't want to get on trending, and I've been there twice -____-. Being on trending sucks...

I want an ability to opt out of it, actually. Even when I rarely get there, I only take up space from those who can actually benefit from it, so it feels doubly depressing.

Yes, this. Some novels just do not go well with trending. And it's not so much being rating-bombed as it is literally useless because all the views you get (and by "you" I mean myself of course ^^) are hollow and all the readers aren't going to stay/read your book. Not once did I manage to get my actual readers from trending, simply because it favors only a certain kind of reader/author, and my writing is the opposite of that... ╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Plus, certain readers (like myself) have learned to ignore Trending altogether because almost nothing there appeals to us. The only issue with this that I see is that a lot of readers like myself would be deterred from giving the site a second chance or registering on it just because the front page seems to appeal only to certain slices of audiences. It kind of... misadvertises what the site can actually offer, I think, :blob_sweat:
Well, trending helps readers as well. You are saying I don't want to take space. But it helps to highlight your novel to the readers who were looking for a particular novel, and it just happens to be your work. How come it's taking space? Trending helps both readers and authors. You may think your novel isn't as good, but you can't control the readers who enjoy it, right?

minacia

perpetually sour
Well, trending helps readers as well. You are saying I don't want to take space. But it helps to highlight your novel to the readers who were looking for a particular novel, and it just happens to be your work. How come it's taking space? Trending helps both readers and authors. You may think your novel isn't as good, but you can't control the readers who enjoy it, right?
Well, some of it is a genre thing.

In the old days of NU, readers would 1-star BL novels as soon as they see them without reading a single page.

As a result, for some authors in more controversial genres (i.e. suppose you are writing a NTR story), getting on trending feels bad because it mostly just attracts negative attention.

SailusGebel

Well, some of it is a genre thing.

In the old days of NUF, readers would 1-star BL novels as soon as they see them without reading a single page.

As a result, for some authors in more controversial genres (i.e. suppose you are writing a NTR story), getting on trending feels bad because it mostly just attracts negative attention.
That's right, though it doesn't contradict what I've said. Trending has its own pros and cons. In my opinion, the 1-star rating doesn't mean a thing if I can gain a loyal reader(s) who would encourage me and comment on my novel. Though I can understand why people are discouraged by that and I'm not forcing my own worldview on you or anyone else.

minacia

perpetually sour
That's right, though it doesn't contradict what I've said. Trending has its own pros and cons. In my opinion, the 1-star rating doesn't mean a thing if I can gain a loyal reader(s) who would encourage me and comment on my novel. Though I can understand why people are discouraged by that and I'm not forcing my own worldview on you or anyone else.
Hmm, it's more like for me, it's easier to write in a world where trending doesn't exist.

I get plenty of readers who search for certain tags/genres, and my story is in a niche enough area that a majority of people who stumble upon it randomly without specifically looking for it are far more likely to dislike it. I have an alt account on SH where I did get on trending at one point in the past (back before Tony changed the system), and for me it was mainly more stressful than anything else, because it also came with a lot of negative or sarcastic comments when it occupied one of the top spots.

In a sense, I'm not that desperate for readers. If I were, I would be posting it on every novel site I could think of as well as sharing it on facebook and every social media platform.

It's more like I currently view that I write at my best when I'm writing for myself, rather than focusing too hard on what mainstream readers prefer.

Queenfisher

Bird?

My point was that I haven't gotten even 1 (!) reader through Trending. I get some each time it happens, but I can see that they are not my target audience and then, a few months later when they finally realize my book doesn't belong in their Reading List, they delete and give me a frigging heartattack (I am exaggerating ^^). Because of course I think it's some of my actual readers who dropped my book because they disliked some plot development.

Lol, it's frustrating keeping in mind how many people who added my book are just going to delete it a few weeks later :blobrofl::blob_teary::blob_blank:.

I am not complaining about 1-stars ^^. I am complaining about getting NO readers when I am trending.

Those who I get -- do not read my genre and would delete my book once the drunkenness from the "it's trending, therefore must be good!" passes them and they sober up to what my actual tags are :blob_popcorn_two:.

Hmm, it's more like for me, it's easier to write in a world where trending doesn't exist.

I get plenty of readers who search for certain tags/genres, and my story is in a niche enough area that a majority of people who stumble upon it randomly without specifically looking for it are far more likely to dislike it. I have an alt account on SH where I did get on trending at one point in the past (back before Tony changed the system), and for me it was mainly more stressful than anything else, because it also came with a lot of negative or sarcastic comments when it occupied one of the top spots.

In a sense, I'm not that desperate for readers. If I were, I would be posting it on every novel site I could think of as well as sharing it on facebook and every social media platform.

It's more like I currently view that I write at my best when I'm writing for myself, rather than focusing too hard on what mainstream readers prefer.

Agree, 100%. I do not need drive-by readers who are attracted by the "oooh, shiny" that the Trending can give me. I need those who actively look for my book because that's literally the only way I can find my readers. Alas.

Again, it's too niche even in my selected niche genre. But I've accepted that long ago ^^ otherwise I wouldn't keep writing it exactly as I want to.

Just, that poor spot that I can occasionally get on Trending :blob_frown:. It is 100% useless to me. I wish I could give it away to someone else who needs it.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If it makes you feel any better, my stats are cursed!

1.png

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
:blob_dizzy:

But how does it work like this if you publish only every 8 days? O_O

Why is it so perfectly patterned???
No idea. I share the link to my story in my pinned post on Twitter, so I probably get a lot of readers from there.

thedude3445

I wanna get on trending! It's absolutely not gonna happen until I post another ongoing story though, I feel like...