Writing [Tutorial] Is Description really needed? YES.

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
----- Original Message -----​
If you have Action and Dialogue, do you really NEED Description too? What is the difference?
-- Likes to write Action --​

YES...! Yes, you do need description in your fiction!

Let me show you...
The Layers of Fiction

DISCLAIMER: As with all advice, take what you can use and throw out the rest. As a multi-published author, I have been taught some fairly rigid rules on what is publishable and what is not. If my rather straight-laced (and occasionally snotty,) advice does not suit your creative style, by all means, IGNORE IT.

1631382268968.png

Dialogue Only
-- Example from: Kitsune Bi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Himawari-chan, I have your lunch!"
"Ah, Watanuki-kun!"
"Here you go Himawari-chan!"
"Thank you, Watanuki-kun!"
"You are very welcome, Himawari-chan."
"I see. Of course. Thank you, Yuuko-san. Do I need to tell you what she said?"
"No! No, you don't, and I don't want to hear it! I don't need a freaking baby-sitter!"
"Yuuko thinks you do."
"That's her! Not me!"
"Are you a fortune-teller?"
"No! Of course not!"
"I'll come get you after class. I'll get the instructor to let you wait while I practice."
"What? No! I said I don't want to wait…!"
"You gonna eat that?"
"Yes I am!"
"Tea."
"I do not, not, NOT take orders from you!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is "Talking Head Syndrome". There are no dialogue tags because I don’t use them.

ACTION with Dialogue
-- Note the paragraphing by Character Actions, not merely dialogue, and that these Actions identify who is speaking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lunch time found Kimihiro walking around to the back of the school carrying the three lacquered wood bento boxes.
Himawari was already at their chosen spot.
Kimihiro couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. He waved. "Himawari-chan, I have your lunch!"
Himawari looked over at Kimihiro smiled. "Ah, Watanuki-kun!"
Doumeki came from around the opposite corner of the building. He was talking on his cell phone, or rather, grunting into it.
Kimihiro sighed.
Doumeki's gaze found Kimihiro's and his eyes narrowed.
Kimihiro felt the small hairs on his arms lift. He turned away to unwrap the bento boxes and offered Himawari a box. "Here you go Himawari-chan!"
Smiling, Himawari took the box from Kimihiro without making any physical contact. "Thank you, Watanuki-kun!"
"You are very welcome, Himawari-chan." Watanuki sighed and pulled out cups.
Doumeki strode up to stand before Kimihiro. "I see. Of course. Thank you, Yuuko-san."
Kimihiro looked up and his mouth fell open. The iced tea he was pouring spilled slightly over his hand. He grabbed for a paper napkin to wipe at the small mess.
Doumeki snapped the small phone closed, and tucked it into the front fold of his gi. He held out his hand.
Kimihiro shoved the bento box at him.
Doumeki took the box from Kimihiro's hands and his gaze narrowed on Kimihiro's face. "Do I need to tell you what she said?"
"No! No, you don't, and I don't want to hear it!" Kimihiro turned away and flopped cross-legged onto the spread blanket at Himawari's side. "I don't need a freaking baby-sitter!" He pried open his bento box.
Doumeki moved to Kimihiro's immediate right and stepped into the space between Kimihiro and Himawari. He settled cross-legged on the blanket with a grunt, seating himself between them.
Watanuki rolled his eyes.
Doumeki turned and his gaze locked on Kimihiro's. "Yuuko thinks you do."
Kimihiro felt his hackles lift. He scooted back. "That's her! Not me!"
Doumeki's gaze narrowed to slits. "Are you a fortune-teller?"
Kimihiro stared at him. "No! Of course not!"
"I'll come get you after class." He turned away to pry open his lunch box. "I'll get the instructor to let you wait while I practice."
Kimihiro stared at him open mouthed. "What? No! I said I don't want to wait…!"
Doumeki picked up the chopsticks and started shoveling food into his mouth with one hand. He plugged the ear on Kimihiro's side with the pinky finger of the other.
Kimihiro ranted and raved until he was red in the face.
Doumeki continued to eat with one ear plugged.
Kimihiro added kicks and gestures to his gripes and complaints, and even tried writhing on the ground.
Doumeki turned to face Kimihiro. "You gonna eat that?" He pointed at Kimihiro's full bento box.
Kimihiro grabbed for his food. "Yes I am!" He snatched up his chopsticks and stabbed it into his box. Glaring at the larger boy, he shoved the piece of food into his mouth and chewed.
Himawari burst into giggles.
Doumeki held out his hand. "Tea."
Kimihiro reached for the thermos and a tea cup then froze. He turned to glare Doumeki.
Doumeki continued to hold out his hand, his gaze unwavering.
Kimihiro handed him the cup of tea.
Doumeki took the cup of tea, and the slightest of smiles curved his mouth.
A hard shiver skittered up Kimihiro's spine. He jerked his gaze away.
Doumeki's gaze drifted down to his teacup, and announced what he'd like for tomorrow's lunch.
Doumeki's reply was yet another smile.
Himawari giggled.
Tanpopo chirped.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the first one, you could HEAR what was happening, like a Radio Show. In the second one you could HEAR and SEE what was happening, like a black and white TV.

Shall we put it on the Big Screen?

DESCRIPTION with Action and Dialogue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lunch time found Kimihiro walking around to the back of the school carrying the three lacquered wood bento boxes wrapped in a large cloth in one hand, and the thermos of chilled jasmine tea in the other.
Himawari was already at their chosen spot under the tree. She knelt on the small picnic blanket, neat and prim in her stark black skirt and white summer top, while talking cheerfully to her tiny bright yellow bird, Tanpopo, Dandilion. The ultra-feminine black coils of her sumptuous mane spilled down her back and tumbled down around her lap. Two small coiling tails bound with yellow bows framed either side of her impishly sweet face.
Kimihiro couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. So cuuute! Himawari was everything a pretty girl should be, and she was just as sweet as she appeared. He waved. "Himawari-chan, I have your lunch!"
If only she didn't have that…condition.
Himawari looked over at Kimihiro and her smile was as bright as the sun. "Ah, Watanuki-kun!"
The tall, broad-shouldered, and pointedly masculine form of Doumeki came from around the opposite corner of the building. His short-cropped black hair gleamed blue in the sunlight. He was dressed in the white keiko-gi top and ground-sweeping black hakima trousers of his Kyudo, archery club uniform. Apparently, he'd spent the last period at the archery range. He was talking on his cell phone, or rather, grunting into it. His gaze was somewhere off in the distance and lips were turned slightly downward.
Kimihiro sighed. That was Doumeki for you. He appeared to only ever show one of two expressions, if he had an expression, an almost-scowl, or an almost-smirk. Of the two, the smirk was worse; it was downright disturbing.
Doumeki's gaze found Kimihiro's and his golden eyes narrowed.
Kimihiro felt the small hairs on his arms lift. He's staring at me in that creepy way again. It was enough to very nearly sour Kimihiro's appetite.
Yuuko had once asked him, "What don't you like about Doumeki?"
Kimihiro couldn't very well tell her… "Because he stares at me like, he wants to hit me or do something…else, something embarrassing and vulgar. When he smirks, it's worse. It's like, he's laughing at me, and about to do something vulgar. On top of that, when he actually talks what he says never goes with the look on his face. And he does it all the damned time!"
It sounded stupid even in his thoughts.
He turned away to unwrap the bento boxes, slapped on a sunny smile strictly for Himawari, and offered her a box. "Here you go Himawari-chan!"
Smiling, Himawari took the box from Kimihiro without making any physical contact. "Thank you, Watanuki-kun!"
"You are very welcome, Himawari-chan." Watanuki sighed in contentment and pulled out the small plastic cups for the tea. Lunch with sweet, adorable, completely predictable Himawari was the highlight of his entire day.
Doumeki strode up to stand before Kimihiro and his voice deepened to a base growl. "I see. Of course. Thank you, Yuuko-san."
Kimihiro looked up at his nemesis and his mouth fell open in shock. Doumeki was talking to Yuuko? The iced tea he was pouring spilled slightly over his hand. Startled, he grabbed for a paper napkin to wipe at the small mess. He knew, he just knew, Yuuko had told Doumeki to walk him back. That conniving, controlling, over-protective…
Doumeki snapped the small phone closed, and tucked it into the front fold of his gi. He held out his hand, clearly asking for the bento at Kimihiro's side.
Selfish bastard… Furious, Kimihiro shoved the bento box at him.
Doumeki took the box from Kimihiro's hands and his gaze narrowed on Kimihiro's face. "Do I need to tell you what she said?"
"No! No, you don't, and I don't want to hear it!" Kimihiro turned away and flopped cross-legged onto the spread blanket at Himawari's side. He would not, would not, look at him. "I don't need a freaking baby-sitter!" He pried open his bento box, determined to eat and enjoy some cheerful conversation with Himawari.
Doumeki moved to Kimihiro's immediate right and stepped into the space between Kimihiro and Himawari. He settled cross-legged on the blanket with a grunt, seating himself between them.
Watanuki rolled his eyes. One might suppose that Doumeki was merely keeping the two from coming into accidental physical contact, which would trigger Himawari's rather volatile and highly dangerous condition. However, Watanuki knew for a fact that Doumeki had done it simply to annoy him.
Doumeki turned and his golden gaze locked on Kimihiro's. He was so close Kimihiro could actually feel his body heat. The scent of soap and temple incense drifted from him. "Yuuko thinks you do."
Kimihiro felt his hackles lift. He scooted back, away from Doumeki's unnervingly warm presence. "That's her! Not me!"
Doumeki's gaze narrowed to hard gold slits. "Are you a fortune-teller?"
Fortune-teller? Kimihiro stared at him. What the hell…? "No! Of course not!"
"I'll come get you after class." He turned away to pry open his flat black lunch box. "I'll get the instructor to let you wait while I practice."
Doumeki picked up the chopsticks and started shoveling food into his mouth with one hand. He plugged the ear on Kimihiro's side with the pinky finger of the other. Clearly, Doumeki was not listening.
Kimihiro added kicks and gestures to his gripes and complaints, and even tried writhing on the ground.
Doumeki turned to face Kimihiro with absolutely no expression on his face what so ever. "You gonna eat that?" He pointed at Kimihiro's full bento box with his chopsticks.
Kimihiro grabbed for his food. "Yes I am!" He snatched up his chopsticks and stabbed it into his box blindly. Glaring at the larger boy, he shoved the piece of food into his mouth and chewed with extra emphasis.
Still completely expressionless, Doumeki held out his hand. "Tea."
Kimihiro reached for the thermos and a tea cup then froze. Son of a...! Who does he think I am, his damned wife? He turned to glare at the overgrown pain in his butt.
Doumeki continued to hold out his hand, his gaze unwavering and clearly expectant.
Doumeki took the cup of tea, and the slightest of satisfied smiles curved the very edge of his mouth.
A hard shiver skittered up Kimihiro's spine. He jerked his gaze away. He hated it when Doumeki looked at him like that; like he'd done something both pleasing and perverted at the same time.
Doumeki's gaze drifted down to his teacup, and in a completely emotionless voice, he announced what he'd like for tomorrow's lunch.
Kimihiro very nearly threw his bento box at him. "I do not, not, NOT take orders from you!"
Doumeki's reply was yet another of those smug half-smirks.
Himawari's giggling and Tanpopo's amused chirping did not make Kimihiro feel any better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why did I not include Internal Narration until I got to the Description layer?

Because Internal Narration is the POV character's opinion; their personal description, of what is around them.

Most authors include Internal Narration, but many, many of the same authors forget that the POV character's physical observations; what they see, and experience, belongs in there too, not just what they thought about it.

Examples:​
  • Sesame Street's Oscar the Grouch is not going to see or describe a field of roses the same way as Big Bird.
  • Darth Vader's opinion and description, of Yoda is not going to resemble Luke Skywalker's.
  • The Heroine is NOT going to describe the Villain the same way she would her Hero, even if they are the same person.

Description is needed because once you add Description to your Dialogue and Action, you add depth perception.

Instead of the reader merely being an observer, someone who can hear and see what's going on like a movie, Description allows the reader to step into your characters' skin and become a participant in the story.

☕
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Want to read my other Writing tutorials?

Last edited:

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
Me too. Pass the popcorn.

This probably won't be as dramatic as the previous one, but I wouldn't put it past them to ramp up the drama on a random comment -- just because.

This time a short one, huh?
Well, I have no idea what people actually want to know, so I decided to address one of the...issues I've been seeing on the site.

You're welcome to suggest a topic?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
----- Original Message -----​
If you have Action and Dialogue, do you really NEED Description too? What is the difference?
-- Likes to write Action --​

YES...! Yes, you do need description in your fiction!

Let me show you...

The Layers of Fiction

DISCLAIMER: As with all advice, take what you can use and throw out the rest. As a multi-published author, I have been taught some fairly rigid rules on what is publishable and what is not. If my rather straight-laced (and occasionally snotty,) advice does not suit your creative style, by all means, IGNORE IT.

View attachment 9653

Dialogue Only
-- Example from: Kitsune Bi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Himawari-chan, I have your lunch!"
"Ah, Watanuki-kun!"
"Here you go Himawari-chan!"
"Thank you, Watanuki-kun!"
"You are very welcome, Himawari-chan."
"I see. Of course. Thank you, Yuuko-san. Do I need to tell you what she said?"
"No! No, you don't, and I don't want to hear it! I don't need a freaking baby-sitter!"
"Yuuko thinks you do."
"That's her! Not me!"
"Are you a fortune-teller?"
"No! Of course not!"
"I'll come get you after class. I'll get the instructor to let you wait while I practice."
"What? No! I said I don't want to wait…!"
"You gonna eat that?"
"Yes I am!"
"Tea."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is "Talking Head Syndrome". There are no dialogue tags because I don’t use them.

ACTION with Dialogue
-- Note the paragraphing by Character Actions, not merely dialogue, and that these Actions identify who is speaking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lunch time found Kimihiro walking around to the back of the school carrying the three lacquered wood bento boxes.
Himawari was already at their chosen spot.
Kimihiro couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. He waved. "Himawari-chan, I have your lunch!"
Himawari looked over at Kimihiro smiled. "Ah, Watanuki-kun!"
Doumeki came from around the opposite corner of the building. He was talking on his cell phone, or rather, grunting into it.
Kimihiro sighed.
Doumeki's gaze found Kimihiro's and his eyes narrowed.
Kimihiro felt the small hairs on his arms lift. He turned away to unwrap the bento boxes and offered Himawari a box. "Here you go Himawari-chan!"
"You are very welcome, Himawari-chan." Watanuki sighed and pulled out cups.
Doumeki strode up to stand before Kimihiro. "I see. Of course. Thank you, Yuuko-san."
Kimihiro looked up and his mouth fell open. The iced tea he was pouring spilled slightly over his hand. He grabbed for a paper napkin to wipe at the small mess.
Doumeki snapped the small phone closed, and tucked it into the front fold of his gi. He held out his hand.
Kimihiro shoved the bento box at him.
"No! No, you don't, and I don't want to hear it!" Kimihiro turned away and flopped cross-legged onto the spread blanket at Himawari's side. "I don't need a freaking baby-sitter!" He pried open his bento box.
Watanuki rolled his eyes.
Doumeki turned and his gaze locked on Kimihiro's. "Yuuko thinks you do."
Kimihiro felt his hackles lift. He scooted back. "That's her! Not me!"
Doumeki's gaze narrowed to slits. "Are you a fortune-teller?"
Kimihiro stared at him. "No! Of course not!"
"I'll come get you after class." He turned away to pry open his lunch box. "I'll get the instructor to let you wait while I practice."
Doumeki picked up the chopsticks and started shoveling food into his mouth with one hand. He plugged the ear on Kimihiro's side with the pinky finger of the other.
Doumeki turned to face Kimihiro. "You gonna eat that?" He pointed at Kimihiro's full bento box.
Kimihiro grabbed for his food. "Yes I am!" He snatched up his chopsticks and stabbed it into his box. Glaring at the larger boy, he shoved the piece of food into his mouth and chewed.
Doumeki held out his hand. "Tea."
Kimihiro reached for the thermos and a tea cup then froze. He turned to glare Doumeki.
Doumeki continued to hold out his hand, his gaze unwavering.
Doumeki took the cup of tea, and the slightest of smiles curved his mouth.
A hard shiver skittered up Kimihiro's spine. He jerked his gaze away.
Doumeki's gaze drifted down to his teacup, and announced what he'd like for tomorrow's lunch.
Doumeki's reply was yet another smile.
Himawari giggled.
Tanpopo chirped.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the first one, you could HEAR what was happening, like a Radio Show. In the second one you could HEAR and SEE what was happening, like a black and white TV.

Shall we put it on the Big Screen?

DESCRIPTION with Action and Dialogue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lunch time found Kimihiro walking around to the back of the school carrying the three lacquered wood bento boxes wrapped in a large cloth in one hand, and the thermos of chilled jasmine tea in the other.
Himawari was already at their chosen spot under the tree. She knelt on the small picnic blanket, neat and prim in her stark black skirt and white summer top, while talking cheerfully to her tiny bright yellow bird, Tanpopo, Dandilion. The ultra-feminine black coils of her sumptuous mane spilled down her back and tumbled down around her lap. Two small coiling tails bound with yellow bows framed either side of her impishly sweet face.
Kimihiro couldn't help but grin from ear to ear. So cuuute! Himawari was everything a pretty girl should be, and she was just as sweet as she appeared. He waved. "Himawari-chan, I have your lunch!"
If only she didn't have that…condition.
Himawari looked over at Kimihiro and her smile was as bright as the sun. "Ah, Watanuki-kun!"
The tall, broad-shouldered, and pointedly masculine form of Doumeki came from around the opposite corner of the building. His short-cropped black hair gleamed blue in the sunlight. He was dressed in the white keiko-gi top and ground-sweeping black hakima trousers of his Kyudo, archery club uniform. Apparently, he'd spent the last period at the archery range. He was talking on his cell phone, or rather, grunting into it. His gaze was somewhere off in the distance and lips were turned slightly downward.
Kimihiro sighed. That was Doumeki for you. He appeared to only ever show one of two expressions, if he had an expression, an almost-scowl, or an almost-smirk. Of the two, the smirk was worse; it was downright disturbing.
Doumeki's gaze found Kimihiro's and his golden eyes narrowed.
Kimihiro felt the small hairs on his arms lift. He's staring at me in that creepy way again. It was enough to very nearly sour Kimihiro's appetite.
Yuuko had once asked him, "What don't you like about Doumeki?"
Kimihiro couldn't very well tell her… "Because he stares at me like, he wants to hit me or do something…else, something embarrassing and vulgar. When he smirks, it's worse. It's like, he's laughing at me, and about to do something vulgar. On top of that, when he actually talks what he says never goes with the look on his face. And he does it all the damned time!"
It sounded stupid even in his thoughts.
He turned away to unwrap the bento boxes, slapped on a sunny smile strictly for Himawari, and offered her a box. "Here you go Himawari-chan!"
"You are very welcome, Himawari-chan." Watanuki sighed in contentment and pulled out the small plastic cups for the tea. Lunch with sweet, adorable, completely predictable Himawari was the highlight of his entire day.
Doumeki strode up to stand before Kimihiro and his voice deepened to a base growl. "I see. Of course. Thank you, Yuuko-san."
Kimihiro looked up at his nemesis and his mouth fell open in shock. Doumeki was talking to Yuuko? The iced tea he was pouring spilled slightly over his hand. Startled, he grabbed for a paper napkin to wipe at the small mess. He knew, he just knew, Yuuko had told Doumeki to walk him back. That conniving, controlling, over-protective…
Doumeki snapped the small phone closed, and tucked it into the front fold of his gi. He held out his hand, clearly asking for the bento at Kimihiro's side.
Selfish bastard… Furious, Kimihiro shoved the bento box at him.
"No! No, you don't, and I don't want to hear it!" Kimihiro turned away and flopped cross-legged onto the spread blanket at Himawari's side. He would not, would not, look at him. "I don't need a freaking baby-sitter!" He pried open his bento box, determined to eat and enjoy some cheerful conversation with Himawari.
Watanuki rolled his eyes. One might suppose that Doumeki was merely keeping the two from coming into accidental physical contact, which would trigger Himawari's rather volatile and highly dangerous condition. However, Watanuki knew for a fact that Doumeki had done it simply to annoy him.
Doumeki turned and his golden gaze locked on Kimihiro's. He was so close Kimihiro could actually feel his body heat. The scent of soap and temple incense drifted from him. "Yuuko thinks you do."
Kimihiro felt his hackles lift. He scooted back, away from Doumeki's unnervingly warm presence. "That's her! Not me!"
Doumeki's gaze narrowed to hard gold slits. "Are you a fortune-teller?"
Fortune-teller? Kimihiro stared at him. What the hell…? "No! Of course not!"
"I'll come get you after class." He turned away to pry open his flat black lunch box. "I'll get the instructor to let you wait while I practice."
Doumeki picked up the chopsticks and started shoveling food into his mouth with one hand. He plugged the ear on Kimihiro's side with the pinky finger of the other. Clearly, Doumeki was not listening.
Doumeki turned to face Kimihiro with absolutely no expression on his face what so ever. "You gonna eat that?" He pointed at Kimihiro's full bento box with his chopsticks.
Kimihiro grabbed for his food. "Yes I am!" He snatched up his chopsticks and stabbed it into his box blindly. Glaring at the larger boy, he shoved the piece of food into his mouth and chewed with extra emphasis.
Still completely expressionless, Doumeki held out his hand. "Tea."
Kimihiro reached for the thermos and a tea cup then froze. Son of a...! Who does he think I am, his damned wife? He turned to glare at the overgrown pain in his butt.
Doumeki continued to hold out his hand, his gaze unwavering and clearly expectant.
Doumeki took the cup of tea, and the slightest of satisfied smiles curved the very edge of his mouth.
A hard shiver skittered up Kimihiro's spine. He jerked his gaze away. He hated it when Doumeki looked at him like that; like he'd done something both pleasing and perverted at the same time.
Doumeki's gaze drifted down to his teacup, and in a completely emotionless voice, he announced what he'd like for tomorrow's lunch.
Kimihiro very nearly threw his bento box at him. "I do not, not, NOT take orders from you!"
Doumeki's reply was yet another of those smug half-smirks.
Himawari's giggling and Tanpopo's amused chirping did not make Kimihiro feel any better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why did I not include Internal Narration until I got to the Description layer?

Because Internal Narration is the POV character's opinion; their personal description, of what is around them.

Most authors include Internal Narration, but many, many of the same authors forget that the POV character's physical observations; what they see, and experience, belongs in there too, not just what they thought about it.

Examples:​
  • Sesame Street's Oscar the Grouch is not going to see or describe a field of roses the same way as Big Bird.
  • Darth Vader's opinion and description, of Yoda is not going to resemble Luke Skywalker's.
  • The Heroine is NOT going to describe the Villain the same way she would her Hero, even if they are the same person.

Description is needed because once you add Description to your Dialogue and Action, you add depth perception.

Instead of the reader merely being an observer, someone who can hear and see what's going on like a movie, Description allows the reader to step into your characters' skin and become a participant in the story.

Enjoy!
Bro I'm not gonna say it's not helpful to the idiots of the forums. But the rest of us did not need a 100 paragraph dissertation about the importance of description in novels.

Just throwing it out there, dont mean to sound like a dick or anything.

Good examples tho

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
if so bad the option 1 is, how come the smut fics that only ever do dialogs, and sometimes even entire chapters.... exactly like that... enjoy such popularity?

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
Bro I'm not gonna say it's not helpful to the idiots of the forums. But the rest of us did not need a 100 paragraph dissertation about the importance of description in novels.

Just throwing it out there, dont mean to sound like a dick or anything.

Good examples tho
I'm glad you liked the examples.

The original essay was written for someone particularly stubborn about several writing issues. The obvious issue addressed was that she wrote reams, and reams, and reams of dialogue...and not much else. Yet, she near constantly complained that her scenes were too short.

If you'll notice, the first example is actually quite short.

However, this example also shows Paragraphing by Character, using Action Tags instead of 'said', and where Internal Narration fits in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I'm glad you liked the examples.

The original essay was written for someone particularly stubborn about several writing issues. The obvious issue addressed was that she wrote reams, and reams, and reams of dialogue...and not much else. Yet, she near constantly complained that her scenes were too short.

If you'll notice, the first example is actually quite short.

However, this example also shows Paragraphing by Character, using Action Tags instead of 'said', and where Internal Narration fits in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is an issue that is abundant in almost all Japanese light novels, too. And lots of us ONLY read those light novels, then wonder why they only know how to write dialogue heavy stories.

Like " yes, because you only learn from these shitty isekai stories, dumbass."

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
:blob_aww: :blob_popcorn: Uh... I am glad I do it right, it seems. People usually say I am too descriptive... But... I don't feel like I am? I don't know.

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
if so bad the option 1 is, how come the smut fics that only ever do dialogs, and sometimes even entire chapters.... exactly like that... enjoy such popularity?

There are several factors:
  • -- Male readers are generally perfectly fine with using their imaginations to 'fill in the blanks' of a sex scene.
  • -- Certain individuals of the reading audience haven't read enough well-written smut to know good writing from bad yet.
  • -- Certain fantasies appeal to a certain audience and there aren't any better written stories in that niche for them to choose differently.
To name just a few.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As an avid enjoyer of McDonald's and Subway, it's not such a hard question to answer.
This too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

OokamiKasumi

Author of Quality Smut
This is an issue that is abundant in almost all Japanese light novels, too. And lots of us ONLY read those light novels, then wonder why they only know how to write dialogue heavy stories.

Like "yes, because you only learn from these shitty isekai stories, dumbass."

Japanese 'lite novel' fiction doesn't do description the way English does. Japanese lite novels describe by way of using direct nouns: "the school uniform," and comparison; "the color of a peony at twilight."

It's not that the vocabulary isn't there, Japanese Literary novels do indeed have description. However, illiteracy is a huge problem in Japan. Japanese lite novel authors have to write what their readers can actually read, and many of their Readers wouldn't recognize kanji beyond a high school level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:blob_aww: :blob_popcorn: Uh... I am glad I do it right, it seems. People usually say I am too descriptive... But... I don't feel like I am? I don't know.
Get a couple beta-readers --3 or 4-- and ask them point blank, what they think about your description.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is too obvious to spark any controversy. I'm very disappointed.
Good work, though.
Thank you? Um... I'll do better next time?

You know, you can always suggest a topic...?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Someone else will substitute for you.
Yes, yes they will.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Get a couple beta-readers --3 or 4-- and ask them point blank, what they think about your description.
I mean all my readers say the love how I describe things. I always tell them to be honest with me. But I guess with experience I will slowly be able to get better. c: *I have no idea where to get beta readers. Though, I write for fun.*

tridetect

oh hey xxxholic I love that anime. Also this is really good advice but overdoing descriptions makes a novel drag. Light novels are called light because they use simple to use kanji, in an english context this would be shortening prose and leaving some things to implication. Not all dialogue needs an action behind it. Saying 'said' or putting something simple after the dialogue is fine. That's just my 2 cents.

The coomer audience is very easy to please in any medium. Look at the many hentai rpg maker games that exist on steam.