We all know that Author who....

TunTun

You guys all know that author who no matter how many views he gets, the cup is always half empty. They could be at the top echelon of novel views, and they would still complain while the rest of us are stuck at the bottom.

I hope the meme above helps lighten up the day of those authors that, like me, barely get 40 readers no matter how hard we try. But hey, I have good news. According to the following stats, posting daily might give you an edge above the rest of your fellow authors: (1) Scribblehub stats 2 | Scribble Hub Forum,

So the answer is, as always, keep writing! And if you ever run into authors complaining about views, share the meme above!

ForestDweller

Ah, I remember when I could write 3k words per day. Those days when I was much more optimistic about the prospects of my story.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
You guys all know that author who no matter how many views he gets, the cup is always half empty. They could be at the top echelon of novel views, and they would still complain while the rest of us are stuck at the bottom.
Instead of "let them have cake!" it's "I don't have enough cake!"

Bitch you're running a fucking bakery ova' there. If you really cared about views instead of attention, you would've kept writing instead of complaining.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off

Bitch you're running a fucking bakery ova' there. If you really cared about views instead of attention, you would've kept writing instead of complaining.
Fucking 'A man.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

I hope the meme above helps lighten up the day of those authors that, like me, barely get 40 readers no matter how hard we try. But hey, I have good news. According to the following stats, posting daily might give you an edge above the rest of your fellow authors: (1) Scribblehub stats 2 | Scribble Hub Forum,

So the answer is, as always, keep writing! And if you ever run into authors complaining about views, share the meme above!
I can complain about anything i want so eat my shiny metal ass, my boy. Eat it nice and slow. Yeah...just like that. Use your tongue. You filthy sl*t.

ForestDweller

Aren't views the same as attentions?

D

Deleted member 29316

Honestly, the best route to take for attention is probably to buy ads for your story. Costs money though 😉
Nah. I only write to tell a story. Advertisements are too much for my budget, and not everyone would want to read my work.

Chill is the best way. 😁

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I think I went past that stage and just adopted the 'Story is there so read it or not, it's there' attitude.
Not to rain on your parade, but I used to adopt that mindset as well. I find apathy to be very tiring, like trying to build a dam over a waterfall. I don't know about you but I find that I can never really "not care" about views and readers. It's like a pay-off for your efforts in writing. Who wouldn't want that?

Let it encourage you instead. It's all about perspective. Having low view counts just mean there's a lot more to go, and if you really are writing for your own sake, that wouldn't be a problem. And if it's the 1* bombings, see it as a milestone. To get 1* bombings you have to be a visible target. Take it as an indirect compliment of showing up under the radar. It's how I see it anyway.

You can never not care about your achievements. It's the fruits of your labour after all. What's important is that you don't let it get over your head, but do the flowers every once in a while. No harm in indulging in your efforts, is there?

D

Deleted member 29316

Not to rain on your parade, but I used to adopt that mindset as well. I find apathy to be very tiring, like trying to build a dam over a waterfall. I don't know about you but I find that I can never really "not care" about views and readers. It's like a pay-off for your efforts in writing. Who wouldn't want that?

Let it encourage you instead. It's all about perspective. Having low view counts just mean there's a lot more to go, and if you really are writing for your own sake, that wouldn't be a problem. And if it's the 1* bombings, see it as a milestone. To get 1* bombings you have to be a visible target. Take it as an indirect compliment of showing up under the radar. It's how I see it anyway.

You can never not care about your achievements. It's the fruits of your labour after all. What's important is that you don't let it get over your head, but do the flowers every once in a while. No harm in indulging in your efforts, is there?
Ah it's fine to disagree. As for me, I've experienced a lot of drops and negative feedback to even care about who reads and likes my work. I'm easily affected by the fluctuations of my stats before, so I did my best to throw it off my system.

My original goal is to tell a good story, and now, I find encouragement from finishing something (like a volume or illustration) than to readers' reaction. After all, the audience preference varies over time.

I'll just try my best to give a good story to read.

(Also, expecting the worst can cushion the effects of negative feedback)

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Definitely wouldn’t say never here. You can definitely not care about your achievements. For example, academics, you’d think getting the highest grades in your class would make you feel proud, but there are many who just end up feeling empty like they’re worthless hollow empty shells.

D

Deleted member 45782

You guys all know that author who no matter how many...
Yeah...I remember talking to that someone the other day...
I hope the meme above helps lighten up the day of those authors that, like me, barely get 40 readers no matter how hard we try. But hey, I have good news.

So the answer is, as always, keep writing!
Congrats on 40 readers. :)

Agree. No matter how low amount of readers, viewers, favorites you have, etc., -don't let that sink its teeth into you.

There'll be times when we just sank. There'll also be times when we still haven't set upon land and hit that pot of gold in story writing.

Best way to overcome that is to look at what you have and appreciate how far you have made it so far, but also keep an open mind for improvements and keep on writing. Don't let a few critical feedbacks hit you down all the time. Just keep swimming, just keep writing.

(Also, expecting the worst can cushion the effects of negative feedback)
True, somehow idk if that's the pessimism in me or just me trying to be pragmatic. I don't want my optimism to take flight too much that it leads to unrealistic expectations that will hurt even more, so I prefer to balance it. When you expect the worst, but end up with something decent-good, you feel a lot better because you didn't hold too high expectations on it, compared to expecting something very high and very good, only to find it kinda sinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

ForestDweller

Definitely wouldn’t say never here. You can definitely not care about your achievements. For example, academics, you’d think getting the highest grades in your class would make you feel proud, but there are many who just end up feeling empty like they’re worthless hollow empty shells.

Getting highest grades don't matter IRL. You'd better off knowing office politics and how to socialize instead.

I hope the meme above helps lighten up the day of those authors that, like me, barely get 40 readers no matter how hard we try.

As long as your views are increasing and not declining in time, you're fine. Just keep on writing and you'll make it big some day.

D

Deleted member 29316

Yeah...I remember talking to that someone the other day...

Congrats on 40 readers. :)

Agree. No matter how low amount of readers, viewers, favorites you have, etc., -don't let that sink its teeth into you.

There'll be times when we just sank. There'll also be times when we still haven't set upon land and hit that pot of gold in story writing.

Best way to overcome that is to look at what you have and appreciate how far you have made it so far, but also keep an open mind for improvements and keep on writing. Don't let a few critical feedbacks hit you down all the time. Just keep swimming, just keep writing.

True, somehow idk if that's the pessimism in me or just me trying to be pragmatic. I don't want my optimism to take flight too much that it leads to unrealistic expectations that will hurt even more, so I prefer to balance it. When you expect the worst, but end up with something decent-good, you feel a lot better because you didn't hold to high expectations on it, compared to expecting something very high and very good, only to find it kinda sinking.
Well, as for me, I don't think it's pessimism. I know myself that I'm not the best author out there, so I'll just work hard to bring out the best I could do.

However, I'm also aware that my best could be mediocre for others, so while I'm doing my best, I'm also expecting nothing from it.

You can call that being realist or pragmatic. But I agree that when your work does decent, you'll feel a lot better than when you're expecting a lot.

D

Deleted member 45782

Getting highest grades don't matter IRL. You'd better off knowing office politics and how to socialize instead.
Depends. If you are brand-new on the market, got no networking connections, not much experience...then how will the employers single you out to be a potentially good candidate? If its not the work experience, the projects, than its the academics...even if its only one part of it, and doesn't mean a guarantee for an interview or being hired. Its a start somewhere at a very minimum...

Last edited by a moderator: