Webtoons Vs Mangas: Pros And Cons

Yorth

Swordman
The title is pretty self-explanatory so I won't go into much detail here. Just tell me which medium do you like best and why. Mine is webtoons btw.

Alienix

The title is pretty self-explanatory so I won't go into much detail here. Just tell me which medium do you like best and why. Mine is webtoons btw.

U made the thread, u have to tell us why u like webtoon too:blob_catflip:

I am not picky. I like them equally.

Oh I am just adding I dont like reading em both on pc because the size becomes uncomfortable for me

Last edited:

skillet

a frying pan
If I was given a story and it could be told in either manga form or webtoon form... Hmm, depends on the story, but I guess for now webtoons? I like to view my manga and webtoons on the downtime when going somewhere. Webtoons were basically made for viewing on mobile, so I slightly prefer webtoons since I'm on my phone. Manga spreads can be a bit too crowded.
On computers, though, it's the other way around...

But otherwise, I really don't care which medium I'm getting my story as long as it's good:)

Yorth

Swordman
U made the thread, u have to tell us why u like webtoon too:blob_catflip:

I am not picky. I like them equally.

Oh I am just adding I dont like reading em both on pc because the size becomes uncomfortable for me
Hahahaha, I like webtoon because they're easier on the eyes and I love my colors.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I despise the way how webtoons just have white backgrounds. That just feels lazy as fuck.
Bruh, coloring all panels is not lazy. White background can also be seen in manga. Do you consider Mangaka as lazy if they leave blank space? :blob_popcorn_two:

D

Deleted member 29316

I prefer manga since it's the stuff I grew up with. 😉

Plus, mangas are easier and cheaper to do than webtoons (drawing- and print-wise)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reign

Manga.

It feels like a more expressive medium despite the lack of color, and also generally more detailed.

Ace_Arriande

Also manga for the previously mentioned reasons but also because... I don't know, there's just something about the way that webtoon plots are set up that makes me not like them. None of them have the same kinds of tropes and themes that I can easily find and enjoy in manga. I like my weebshit. Webtoons make me feel like they're trying to not be weeb while keeping the aesthetics of it. Then again, most of the ones I've tried have been Korean and it could just be up to me not liking the tropes and themes of Korean stuff as much as I like Japanese tropes and themes.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Webtoon, though not inferior in terms of a platform for storytelling, just doesn't offer as much potential as traditional panelling in manga does. Though it can present action, pacing and sometimes even pull off Junji Ito level of suspense with its use of simply scrolling down to a revealing page, after seeing through the obvious privileges, everything else seems like a discount in comparison. Not much freedom in terms of art and a streamlined way of reading meant clever panelling is restricted to verticality, instead of beautiful two-page spreads you'll usually see in manga.

But really, it all depends what kind of a comic you're going for. I always felt like Chainsaw Man would fit a webtoon like a glove, while the story-focused Berserk or One Piece should probably stay in manga format for the better.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Both! If its good it doesn't matter if its manhua (chinese), manhwa (korean), or manga. All is good as long the quality is there :blobtaco: .

Generik0

I think of them very equally. But if you question me i will choose

Webtoons is still a new medium since the arrival of the internet.I'm surprised that its rivaling manga these days.

But if i have to be honest i still prefer manga. Not because I'm biased(Well because i am).

Drawing:

Im gonna go in between tbh. Both mediums had its strengths in terms of drawing and its formatting. (Because i don't have knowledge on drawing whatsoever)

Storytelling:
Im gonna go with manga. Most webtoons that are created by Koreans are kind of bad. There may be exceiptional ones but its overshadowed by the amount mediocre ones these days. Since webtoon artist are posting in the internet the amount of revenue depends on the views. Unlike manga where they depend on copies. Due to this some authors prompt on releasing more chapters the quality degrades.

In terms of workload i still choose manga. Manga is a medium that had existed after WW2. The craft had been mastered traditionally over the years before the arrival of internet. The traditional storytelling and art of manga makes the read feel good. As long it has a good story.

Webtoons is still a new form narrative specifically graphical narrative. So i dont expect many things. How can you compare something new to something that is mastered throughout the years. That is why i see it equally because someday it might become like manga famous and widespread .But i see promising shit in the future though. Besides its all in the story.

Last edited:

Aachiin0914

For me it depends...

Maybe both. Eecentlyany webtoon artist were appearing with super cool and beautiful art. Adding to the fact that the story is super good. But then again, it's depends. Specially when I can only read it when it was translated. Sometimes the translator will published the whole page which kinda pissed me off. You know specially when you're just reading on ur phone, the texts all vague and can't be read.

When it's comes to manga. I think manga is mainly Japanese manga cause for Koreans and Chinese people called them manwha even thought their black and whites too.

Well, there was no good mangas recently and I notice that I've been reading webtoons too much compare to mangas. There were good mangas but they were only one shots.

Webtoons have color pages which brings the emotions of the story to the readers.

Manga have traditional feeling.

So I like them both.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
Manga, I just think that despite the limited space and boxes, manga illustrations accurately delivers the kind of narrative it wants the readers to see without omitting anything.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I like both, but I prefer mangas overall... Mostly because almost all webtoons I find are Korean webtoons about children that eventually timeskip into becoming teenagers and then the webtoon gets super boring because the protagonist is no longer a child, but is instead a moody teenager.

Mangas tend to stick to the age of the protagonist instead of making them age through timeskips that make the character lose all traits that I loved about them.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
Personally, it all depends on story or art in either type. There are ones with top tier both, but if at least one of them is good then it's gucci.

Half a year ago I started reading lots of webtoons, I'm kinda rolling with them currently. Some are really nice.

Pros and cons? Can be debatable if one is con or pro for them. In terms of art, the colors in some of webtoons are a big pro. For some mangos, the style is a great pro.