What are the themes of your stories?

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
irrationality makes perfect sense for NTR stories. Theirs people that just don't make sense could be a mental disorder like borderline personality.
Me personally thou I wouldn't read NTR for fun but I do understand a little bit of irrational actions.
But is irrationality the theme? I could totally make an NTR that has a theme of irrationality. The important thing is to include subtle (and I mean genuinely subtle) hints in the dialogue or criticism from someone (like "You're making no sense! What's going on with you?!), odd illogic that you expand on (I'm talking at least a paragraph) where you cover an event and the reader can point out "Hey. That's wrong. What gives? Is something off with the MC?), make there be a direct correlation between the consequences of their irrational decisions (and those stories never connect their logic) AND explain how it is irrational throughout the story.
Given that the majority fall on all accounts, irrationality can't be used as a theme, because it doesn't suitably tie the story together, nor is it the view through which story is viewed.

Sola-sama

Retired Old Man
Immortal Killing (death and undeath).

My stories contain immortals and its archetypes. For example, there's an 'Immortal' that could sent memories to the past, one who has 'Absolute Reflect', one who cannot die through age nor biological means, those who have gestalt consciousness, could perform split souls to mitigate death, or a literal living, breathing world. Am having fun in writing how the mc struggle to fight someone who can send their memories back to the past, as the MC can only have finite chance while the enemy probably has memorized all of his move set.

SomethingStuffHappend

Just say it
But is irrationality the theme? I could totally make an NTR that has a theme of irrationality. The important thing is to include subtle (and I mean genuinely subtle) hints in the dialogue or criticism from someone (like "You're making no sense! What's going on with you?!), odd illogic that you expand on (I'm talking at least a paragraph) where you cover an event and the reader can point out "Hey. That's wrong. What gives? Is something off with the MC?), make there be a direct correlation between the consequences of their irrational decisions (and those stories never connect their logic) AND explain how it is irrational throughout the story.
Given that the majority fall on all accounts, irrationality can't be used as a theme, because it doesn't suitably tie the story together, nor is it the view through which story is viewed.
Irrationality isn't the theme NTR was, irrational behavior is just a good way to explain why so and so is happening. Its like a core plot point that people are just irrational and just do things just because. It isn't what the entire story is but it's part of it.

TheMonotonePuppet

Irrationality isn't the theme NTR was, irrational behavior is just a good way to explain why so and so is happening. Its like a core plot point that people are just irrational and just do things just because. It isn't what the entire story is but it's part of it.
But I am saying that good portion, if not most, of NTR is theme-less, NOT plot-less. Big difference.
There's plenty of plot, whether I dislike it or not. Just little to no themes.

Maldrasen

I really don't get the visceral reaction people have against NTR. I can't say I get it as a fetish either, but I really don't care one way or the other if characters in a book are "cheating." Though I suppose my attitude is a rare one given that one of the themes of my current story is, "Take pride in the things others would have you feel shame for."

TheMonotonePuppet

I really don't get the visceral reaction people have against NTR. I can't say I get it as a fetish either, but I really don't care one way or the other if characters in a book are "cheating." Though I suppose my attitude is a rare one given that one of the themes of my current story is, "Take pride in the things others would have you feel shame for."
I don't either. I may not be a big fan of it for myself, but I don't care about other's guilty pleasures. The only reason I have offered NTR as an example because the novels and stories associated tend to be flimsy; without theme. They are built around that trope, and only that trope, and the troubles the MC faces. I don't care about the premise, I care about what the authors are doing with the premise, aka poorly (on average at least. I'm certain there are a couple gems out there. Can't be that bad that everything that uses that trope is bad per se). It was meant to be a throwaway example. I could easily offer up other genres, like smut, even though I know for a fact that there is actually good smut. It's just buried under a larger-than-average pile of theme-less (and very iffy) garbage.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Is madness a theme?

I like gibbering. It's very relaxing. It's also a great cardio work out. I have a work out video all about gibbering I'm going to be releasing this fall that I'm co-creating with Richard Simmons: Gibbering To The Oldies (Vol 2) Kind of sad I didn't get to work on the first video with him.

Did you know I keep petitioning to get Gibbering entered into the Summer Olympics, but my application keeps getting rejected? Someone explain this to me: They allowed CURLING in the Winter Olympics, but not gibbering.

It's just like synchronized swimming, but on land and with more phlegm.

And as a side note, did you know that Books have been failing to exist lately? It's true. Books have been experiencing Existence Failure. They just wink out. Weird, huh? You know, you never know when you might go to work and a book might just cease to be. You shouldn't worry about it if any books in your home goes missing. That's perfectly normal.

Which reminds me, my betta fish is making me nervous. At least I think it's a Betta fish. All I see is his teeth and the occasional flash of a switchblade. When I got him the guy who was running the carnival game on the fairway of the strange circus that vanished at midnight said to only fill his fishbowl with black coffee. One of my interns accidentally topped off his tank with decaf and that was the one time I saw my fish's switchblade.

I call him Grin.

He has many words of wisdom to share that I hear in my head from time to time. For example, "It takes a village to raise a child, but only a single head shot to put it down." He told me that while only occasionally pausing at irregular intervals to stare longingly at my carotid artery.

Another time he said, "It is vowed that the birds are psychopomps lying in wait for the souls of the dying, and that they time their eerie cries in unison with the sufferer's struggling breath If they can catch the fleeing soul when it leaves the body, they instantly flutter away chittering in daemonic laughter; but if they fail, they subside gradually into a disappointed silence."

He always knows how to cheer me up.

BTW, Is it normal to lose so many employees to "Liver Ripped Out By A Vulture"? I'm a small business owner and my workers comp insurance rates have been going through the roof lately.

If you could send any replies to my email and not my fax machine, that'd be great. I ran out of sheets of shale and Amazon is out of stock until next Friday.

Because, you know, That might be my theme.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Good and evil are pretty subjective.

Aliens granting superpowers aren't evil. Granting powers to in exchange for world domination is evil, tho.

A secret organization spreading dungeons to drain magical energies would be bad. Doing it to fight said aliens because they destroyed the world in their timeline would make them the good guys, tho.

I also got stuff like accepting people for who they are instead of who others wanted then to be. Also chivalry, thievery and some loose seven sins/virtues stuff.

D

Deleted member 113259

Life is unfair, the comedic dangers of sin, this Lucas guy is a real prick... Stuff like that.

Mortrexo

How a harem futanari novel doesn't have to be a fuckfest. It can become a sweet and tender love between them, and realize that a harem can be limited and doesn't have to add every romance possible the MC finds. A few well-developed characters can create many interactions worth a read.

D

Deleted member 113259

Good and evil are pretty subjective.

Aliens granting superpowers aren't evil. Granting powers to in exchange for world domination is evil, tho.

A secret organization spreading dungeons to drain magical energies would be bad. Doing it to fight said aliens because they destroyed the world in their timeline would make them the good guys, tho.

I also got stuff like accepting people for who they are instead of who others wanted then to be. Also chivalry, thievery and some loose seven sins/virtues stuff.
Technically your first two examples are objective morals. Subjective morality would be the exact same situation being interpreted as either good or evil depending on who's interpreting.

Robin Hood for example, both the rich and poor judge his actions on the same objective standard but how moral he is entirely depends on whose eyes are looking at him. To the poor he's a benevolent vigilante, to the rich he's nothing more than a thief, and to the middle class he's a show off that doesn't actually do anything.

TheMonotonePuppet

Technically your first two examples are objective morals. Subjective morality would be the exact same situation being interpreted as either good or evil depending on who's interpreting.

Robin Hood for example, both the rich and poor judge his actions on the same objective standard but how moral he is entirely depends on whose eyes are looking at him. To the poor he's a benevolent vigilante, to the rich he's nothing more than a thief, and to the middle class he's a show off that doesn't actually do anything.
Objective morals can be a theme. Don't underestimate humanity's capacity to hate and view things as black and white regardless of whether it is objectively moral not to do so in the ways that BearlyAlive points out. The aliens wouldn't view themselves as evil. There are many good reasons and/or certain types of cultures that would lead to aggressive expansion.

D

Deleted member 113259

Objective morals can be a theme. Don't underestimate humanity's capacity to hate and view things as black and white regardless of whether it is objectively moral not to do so in the ways that BearlyAlive points out. The aliens wouldn't view themselves as evil. There are many good reasons and/or certain types of cultures that would lead to aggressive expansion.
Didn't say it can't. Just said it's not subjective.

TheMonotonePuppet

Didn't say it can't. Just said it's not subjective.
But it is subjective... all values are subjective. Everything in philosophy relies on an assumption. What is supposedly objectively moral to us relies on our assumptions 'hating others for what they are (such as aliens from outer space), rather than what they do, is bad.' Others might say that assumption is idiotic because "we can't risk trusting such a powerful civilization that has zero positive connection with us!" or something like that.

Now, keep in mind that just because I say that does NOT mean I am saying they are lesser or equal to the drivel that some make based on certain assumptions (such as prejudice). I am merely pointing out that you misusing the word objective.

And in response to your first sentence, what was the point of saying "Technically your first two were objective morals"? It heavily implies that you are saying their first two are not themes. Now, you did not directly say that. You are correct in saying that. But given the context (I am asking about people's themes and that is what they are offering) and given the "Technically," it is tantamount to saying that their first two are not themes. You do not even make it clear that you are talking about a wholly unrelated theme that departs from the original topic of this thread.

If I was a gambling puppet, and I am, I would bet a good amount of money that you purposefully phrased it misleadingly to incite an argument, while still having deniability via the argument of temporary (or perhaps ongoing and permanent) idiocy.:blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn:

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
I am thoroughly enjoying this conversation :blob_cookie:.
Despite not participating in it.

D

Deleted member 113259

But it is subjective... all values are subjective. Everything in philosophy relies on an assumption. What is supposedly objectively moral to us relies on our assumptions 'hating others for what they are (such as aliens from outer space), rather than what they do, is bad.' Others might say that assumption is idiotic because "we can't risk trusting such a powerful civilization that has zero positive connection with us!" or something like that.

Now, keep in mind that just because I say that does NOT mean I am saying they are lesser or equal to the drivel that some make based on certain assumptions (such as prejudice). I am merely pointing out that you misusing the word objective.

And in response to your first sentence, what was the point of saying "Technically your first two were objective morals"? It heavily implies that you are saying their first two are not themes. Now, you did not directly say that. You are correct in saying that. But given the context (I am asking about people's themes and that is what they are offering) and given the "Technically," it is tantamount to saying that their first two are not themes. You do not even make it clear that you are talking about a wholly unrelated theme that departs from the original topic of this thread.

If I was a gambling puppet, and I am, I would bet a good amount of money that you purposefully phrased it misleadingly to incite an argument, while still having deniability via the argument of temporary (or perhaps ongoing and permanent) idiocy.:blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn:
Even in the guy's own explanation, he explained it as objective morality. "This is objectively bad but if you change the circumstances it's objectively good." Nothing wrong with writing a morally grey story where every action can be interpreted as good or evil depending on who's reading, but that's not what he did.

As far as what you're asking for, and how objective morality is also a theme, yeah I know. I was just correcting the guy, if I was saying it shouldn't be in the thread I'd probably tag you or something.

RynnTheTired

Pathological Sleepyhead
As an example, "dragons" is not a theme.
Iggy begs to differ. He's a big, strong dragon! He can carry the weight of a whole story by himself, okay?

But setting aside tiny and adorable dragons who think they're bigger and stronger than they actually are...I'd say the central theme of that story is an exploration of different people's relationships with power. One character wants power but isn't equipped to handle it yet and will literally explode and kill himself if he gets too much. Another character has power but wishes she didn't. One is torn between wanting to gain power in order to prove himself and being afraid of gaining power because it made him lose someone important to him in the past. Another one is never satisfied with the amount of power she has and is always looking for ways to gain more. And yet another one has all the power in the world, but it's still not enough to do the one thing he most wants to accomplish.

And then we're back to Iggy. Who mostly just wants to chase birds and have a nice afternoon nap and then eat lava fish for dinner. Because who needs stuff like power when you have spicy fish balls? :blob_cookie: