What are the themes of your stories?

D

Deleted member 54065

Isekai, harem.

Also, War as result of broken diplomacy. Politics in all aspects of society. Authoritarianism vs Liberalism. Religion vs. Secularism. Hope against all odds. Clash of cultures.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
The themes change a bit over the course of the story, though some readers can't stomach a whore as the protagonist, so they miss the nuances.
I reacted with a laugh, but then I realized that maybe the protagonist is/was a literal whore rather than a metaphorical one, and that readers are being anti-prostitute. If it's literal, then that's just plain sad and I'll take back the laughing emoji.
Expect what?
They all sound so wholesome, at least on first blush, you know? I didn't expect your themes to be wholesome. Maybe I missed something?

TotallyHuman

They all sound so wholesome, at least on first blush, you know? I didn't expect your themes to be wholesome. Maybe I missed something?
you sure did.
How far can one go to fulfil the meaning of their life when they find it? Does it not smell of ominous obsession and desperation?

Magic of Love is not the full name of the story. It has three tags in-title, one of which is yandere.

Well third is wholesome and cute

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
you sure did.
How far can one go to fulfil the meaning of their life when they find it? Does it not smell of ominous obsession and desperation?

Magic of Love is not the full name of the story. It has three tags in-title, one of which is yandere.

Well third is wholesome and cute
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
All is right with the world. I understand now.

CubicleHermit

I don't know if it's a theme so much as a premise, but basically "what happens if you cross a western portal fantasy story and with a barely-westernized anime/light novel high school rom-com."

Originally the first one was supposed to be westernized Isekai, but there's a lot less influence from those than I initially planned and I [edit] never [/edit] figured out how to bring in a System or any LitRPG style of thing, while there's a lot more references to 80s/90s western fantasy novels than I'd originally intended.

Theme? I guess it's pretty much about the MC learning to face rather than run away from his problems.
Especially when running away from one rather mundane personal problem leads to sticking your nose into potentially world-shaking problems

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I reacted with a laugh, but then I realized that maybe the protagonist is/was a literal whore rather than a metaphorical one, and that readers are being anti-prostitute. If it's literal, then that's just plain sad and I'll take back the laughing emoji.
Yep, it's literal.

MajorKerina

What is goodness and evil in a world so confused. The persistence of love in spite of so many challenges. The meaning of god in a spirit tangled multiverse. The obligation and depth of motherhood for those who didn’t give birth to those they care for. The meaning of manhood and masculinity for characters who face a myriad of physical transformations. How corrupted and evil characters can feel in their lives seeking absolution and their better selves while dealing with generational trauma. Where friendship crosses over into love. What it means to be human and whether a synthetic being can earn an immortal soul through deeds. If human beings deserve all they have earned through the trials of their hearts and souls. If society is fundamentally screwed or it can be redeemed. And whether we can and should blow up the moon.

EternalSunset0

Warning. Much words ahead. Feel free to skip and just do the question. Or not do anything and be a spectator.
What are the deeper, subtler, more pervasive themes in your story if you have one going? I don't particularly mean genre or anything like that. But something that makes a cohesive story and makes commentary that if the reader analyzed your story, there are connections to that said theme everywhere.
As an example, "dragons" is not a theme. But something that consistently pushes the amazingness of dragons, it is even ingrained in their very personality that dragons are awesome and one should become this powerful predator, is the theme "dragons are cool and you should like them because they are powerful and *insert every other adjective to compliment them*" or more simply "power is glorious, weakness is not". Technically, any one word could count as a theme, like romance or smut, but that tells nothing as to how it connects to story or personality.
For some stories, they genuinely don't have a cohesive theme, but that's pretty rare? For example, some stories are written to be NTRs with zero commentary. The logic is so inconsistent that anything you can draw from those is nonexistent.
For my story, I use the theme of lies and truth, of committing to a role. Common questions and commentary I focus on: Does someone's acting out of a personality count as truth or not? Which is better, lies or truth and in which situation? When conflicting views on such a thing clash, what happens? That kind of thing.
The core theme changes per volume, but I guess the one that binds all of them together in an umbrella is something related to acceptance and compromise. Whether it be yours/others' personalities or events that have happened.

And towards the midway point or so, the idea of a perfect yet stagnant world vs a world of human freedom and potential gets thrown in as part of the overarching plot of the whole thing.

SomethingStuffHappend

Just say it
Warning. Much words ahead. Feel free to skip and just do the question. Or not do anything and be a spectator.
What are the deeper, subtler, more pervasive themes in your story if you have one going? I don't particularly mean genre or anything like that. But something that makes a cohesive story and makes commentary that if the reader analyzed your story, there are connections to that said theme everywhere.
As an example, "dragons" is not a theme. But something that consistently pushes the amazingness of dragons, it is even ingrained in their very personality that dragons are awesome and one should become this powerful predator, is the theme "dragons are cool and you should like them because they are powerful and *insert every other adjective to compliment them*" or more simply "power is glorious, weakness is not". Technically, any one word could count as a theme, like romance or smut, but that tells nothing as to how it connects to story or personality.
For some stories, they genuinely don't have a cohesive theme, but that's pretty rare? For example, some stories are written to be NTRs with zero commentary. The logic is so inconsistent that anything you can draw from those is nonexistent.
For my story, I use the theme of lies and truth, of committing to a role. Common questions and commentary I focus on: Does someone's acting out of a personality count as truth or not? Which is better, lies or truth and in which situation? When conflicting views on such a thing clash, what happens? That kind of thing.
irrationality makes perfect sense for NTR stories. Theirs people that just don't make sense could be a mental disorder like borderline personality.
Me personally thou I wouldn't read NTR for fun but I do understand a little bit of irrational actions.