What are your reasons for doing visual art?

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
What about people who just makes a single pieces that are disconnected from any narrative context? Is it just the satisfaction to create something nice?
Yes. Some are practice, some are just what I felt like drawing. Sometimes I see something visually pleasing and want to recreate it.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
What about people who just makes a single pieces that are disconnected from any narrative context? Is it just the satisfaction to create something nice?
ever watched a movie as a kid and got so excited from one scene that when you get back from the cinema, you run straight to your room and recreate that scene with your shitty kid stunts and kid dialogue to relive that mood?

it's like that for me, but with big tits.

theInmara

Our very first motivation to make any art at all, beyond just doodling for doodling sake, was to draw ourselves as we wished we could be. We didn't fully consciously realize it, but every character we drew, even when form a book we read, was someone in our system wishing to be seen, and wishing to feel what it would be like to look the right way.

When drawing, we tend to really hyperfocus on the form we're rendering, and fall into imagining what our body would feel like in that shape.

We're all trans, too, with severe physical dysphoria, so there was this added motivation.

After that, we took a lot of art classes and got a bachelor's in fine art, so for a while we also just did art for the love of drawing. Of just making marks on the paper. Studio class was always a fantastic way of getting away from the rest of the world. But then we fell into graphic design for a career and burnt out on it.

So, now, when we draw it is very rarely, but we're doing so to try to recover from that burnout and to recapture the passion for it we had before.

But, it seems to be the era of the writers, for us. And we don't want to take too much time away from them, either. We hope to strike a good balance again, though.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Thanks for clarifying my mind! I was initially thinking about visual art in specific, but I realize that it applies in other artistic field too.

I surmise that:
- Artists can be motivated by wish-fulfilment
- Art can create powerful aesthetic experience for the consummers, arousing their feelings and dopamine. This becomes so valuable for some people that they become artists themselves to recreate and relive those experiences in new ways
- Ben ran out of furry hentai, so he made his own

tiaf

Ben ran out of furry hentai, so he made his own
Well-written summary.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Well-written summary.
how i missed this unfounded slander to my reputation is beyond me

I just suck with human faces man 🗿 it's either animal heads or botched facial reconstruction surgeries

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery

I just suck with human faces man 🗿 it's either animal heads or botched facial reconstruction surgeries

So where are you hiding that Bogdanoff bros yaoi?

tiaf

👀 can’t judge since you never shared

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
What reasons or feelings motivates you to sink hours into creating visual artworks and improving at it? (drawing, painting, sculpture, 3D models, photography, montage, toilet paper tower stacking, etc.) What do you enjoy in your activity?

For those who don't practice any of those activities, what would attract you in these fields? And why do you choose not to dab into it?

---

I've seen threads about what motivates writers, but I don't remember seeing one for artist.

Anyway, to answer first, I draw because I like boobas

View attachment 10988

Please tell me that all artists aren't like that.
Butt

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I do sketches from time to time, I like to think I'm somewhat good, it helps to try to convey the story I'm writing in a meaningful way when you can see the visuals. Also, I do it because I like it, and to improve my skills.