What do you think of mecha stories?

what do you think?

• Total voters

OP1000

During the time that the first three Transformers movies came out, I was highly interested in those types of mecha movies. But after the fourth installment of the franchise, it did not have the same level of joy that the first three movies brought me when I first watched them. When the fifth movie came out, I really was disappointed at the way it ended after it looked like it was building up to something cool.

And even if I was only interested in mecha stories like the Transformers franchise (more specifically the movies), that interest has completely died down for me in the present day.

BB_Tensei

Hard to make a good one. The real appeal of mecha is after all the mecha and how they affect lives. You can do an isekai'd engineer making super robots with magitech to cover the usual bases and present a contemporary story, but those are less popular simply cause nobody cares about some rando's OC iron knights. OC DO NOT STEAL is not a valid plot hook, despite our best intentions. I'd say mecha would be more popular on sites like this one if we had a culture-relevant application of humanoid robots, and that'd require making something actually original and romance-oriented. Since Robotics;Notes was already written and adapted to anime, but remains niche, I don't see a way out of it.

- Has to have mecha in an Internet relevant way
- Using mecha gets you all the bitches and/or best waifu
- Power creep
- Lewd potential
- Easy to digest subversions such as a heel face turn as a premise (you are team rocket and have to save the world)

Hmm...

HungrySheep

I like yuri
Mecha is pretty fun! I might write a mecha novel after I'm done with my current novel, though I'd probably need some time to plan out the plot.

prognastat

Mecha is one of those genres that I can only enjoy when I'm in the mood for it and I'm often not in the mood for it. But when I am I really enjoy it. All in all on average I probably don't even watch/read one Mecha series per year.

Some of my favourites:
Gundam Wing
Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Knights & Magic
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Eureka Seven
Full Metal Panic!
Aldnoah.Zero
RahXephon

Not all are masterpieces, but I've enjoyed them all enough to remember them.

There aren't near as many novels I've read with Mecha in them though. Even fewer if you discount fanfictions of the above.

LesserSarcasm

nemonusquam_

When well executed, they're one of the best Sci-fi flavors out there. The best iterations of Gundam, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Pacific Rim come to mind.
However, it's easy for these tales to fall into trite plot points and story conventions.