What does a cover need to be good?

Anti-Jarron7

Hello there, I'm thinking about making a new cover for my novel, but honestly, I still don't know what it should have to attract a lot of attention.
What do you guys recommend? I feel like the actual one lacks something... Either way, thank you in advance to everyone that spends their time answering ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

i think a good cover is something that conveys what the story is about. it doesn't need to be anime at all.

you can think of it like telling your synopsis in form of pictures, since some people are too lazy to read the actual one.

adding a nice title typeset with the pen name on the bottom can also add a nice touch.

i'm not sure about the interesting parts, but i think many will appreciate an 'informative' cover.

but personally, i'm too lazy to use a cover since i don't really care about more publicity xD

RaizarP

A Giga Chad
Hello there, I'm thinking about making a new cover for my novel, but honestly, I still don't know what it should have to attract a lot of attention.
What do you guys recommend? I feel like the actual one lacks something... Either way, thank you in advance to everyone that spends their time answering ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
Write your title in an interesting way and made it flashy.
The contrast in color is important to get the new reader's attention.

Well, if you have a heroine in your novel, I think it's better to include her on the cover too. Or your MC's female friend.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I’d say the MC, and the title.

Armored99

Harem-phobic
Anything that makes a person stop long enough to read the synopsis, and not be repulsed.

Mysticant

Resident Ant
Easy subject as focus, the title, author name(optional), BIG FUCKING TITS/ABSOLUTE MOE CUNNY/edgy necromancer teenager type fit
It looks good enough imo, but this is pretty much the "I want degens to look at my synopsis 101". Just add in revealing to the quote and it is about as good as a clickbait as anything. Who cares about the title if ya got the gigantic revealing boobas.

DetectiveRed

Do you want a good cover or a popular one? Quite frankly if you want a popular one, change nothing aside from the font. You are on a website of weebs and they will eat your current cover up. Maybe you could make the protagonist bigger. Centre the anime boy with your evil god. Golden. Nothing needs to change.
If you want a good one? Change your title because it will not look good on a cover. Japanese light novel titles don't translate well to the west because we use more words. Something like "The Evil God Becomes A Sidekick?" fits better on the page. Additionally, use your own art. Use symbols. Anime covers are a dime a dozen on this site. If you can convey your premise in a succinct and quick way, it will attract more readers.

BlackKnightX

Cute girl.

Cipiteca396

[Contradiction]: Imperative
Yeah, your current cover is good.

The add a cute girl thing might help, but only if you make it clear the other is your protagonist. If people think the girl is the main character and find out that isn't the case, they might get grumpy. It's less important now that you have to put a story on your reading list to rate it, though.

Edit: Dang, just read the synopsis. You should definitely make it clear that the Main Character is the Evil God, NOT 'The Protagonist'. In other words, you should call the other person 'The Hero' or something like that. Otherwise readers will think the Evil God is a side character that the MC has to corral or- You know what, this is really confusing.

Easy: Protagonist is the POV character. Don't call anyone the Protagonist unless they are the POV character.

RyreGruel

Atleast here on Scribble hub since the covers are small mostly they need to be colorful for me as horror and tragedy stories typically use dark colors and I depressing or scary stories are just too much for me.

Anywhere else as mentioned about your most important female character front and center seems to always do the trick. :)

virgilknightley

Good artwork, a good background, aesthetic, well-placed title text (cooltext.com is good if you have no paint.net or photoshop skills), and ideally a hot waifu

Jemini

i think a good cover is something that conveys what the story is about. it doesn't need to be anime at all.

you can think of it like telling your synopsis in form of pictures, since some people are too lazy to read the actual one.

adding a nice title typeset with the pen name on the bottom can also add a nice touch.

i'm not sure about the interesting parts, but i think many will appreciate an 'informative' cover.

but personally, i'm too lazy to use a cover since i don't really care about more publicity xD

I'm in complete agreement with this mind-set. It needs to be something that subscribes to the phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words."

Some of the best I'm aware of are the promotional pictures for the highest rated top-tier anime. The season 2 title cover for Mushoku Tensei is really quite good.

I was trying to provide an example of something I had commissioned for my 3rd soon-to-be-released series, but for some reason it's just not uploading.

Layenlml

1633790705350.jpg

Idea:
Maybe something like Meruem from Hunter x Hunter holding the world? But with your Mc intead, signaling the difference in power?