What genres are you used to writing?

Kitty

Don't give up! The first ever Discworld books (The Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic - the only Discworld books to be direct sequels with CoM ending on a literal cliffhanger - er, clifffallingoffer) were 100% pure satire, even doing things like directly referencing DnD roleplaying and Tolkeinesque lore. 41 books later, the Discworld is it's own unique beast with its own unique lore and history rarely seen in its genre.

Just roll with the satire and let it go to it's extremes until it wraps back around to sincerity and in the process of satire you accidentally created your own world and lore. :blob_highfive:
Your comment is strangely inspiring.

I suddenly have ideas! (that will likely fester inside my head for an eternity and a half)

It's funny that you mention Discworld because I think Pratchett's humor is extremely similar to my own. When I was reading Discworld, I was like: "Oh God, I have finally discovered someone who makes jokes as lame as I do." And then I was extremely mortified when I realized that I had the same sense of humor as some old white English dude who had a bad taste in hats.

I mean, Britons—in my mind—should have a superior taste in hats, with their fancy fascinators and all. I don't know what happened when it came to Pratchett.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
My comfort zone is Tragedy/Mystery/Fantasy. I will be writing one GL romance for a yuri competition as I have always been interested in writing a yuri one-shot.

However, to this day, my most interested genre that is out of my comfort zone is still Horror.

Lost_Strings

I started out as horror/gore/thriller writer and was once ranked 4th, also featured 5 years ago in wattpad. Didn't finish it because I was a lazy HS student and had been in a Hiatus since then. 5 years of neglect lol.

I came back this year writing Danmei/BL/Yaoi.:blob_uwu:

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻
I like do over/for want of a nail/peggy sue/time travel/transmigration stories, although these are less like genres and more like tropes. But with them as a starting point, I feel like I can explore a lot of different things! My inspiration were fanfics with the premise of "okay but what if THIS happened instead" or "suppose that character got the MC's superpowers" or "how about the whole story from minor character X's POV." Some of them are really well done.

I actually get really impatient at romance stories and their progression/subplots, but somehow I'm writing 3 stories with it now. (To be fair, they aren't the main thing.) I also love good worldbuilding and characters who aren't what they appear at first glance. Uhhhh but again these aren't genres, but tropes...maybe Chinese fantasy/historical fiction/xianxia is my kick right now, I've finally read enough novels to understand how to navigate those worlds without a map. Mostly.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
for want of a nail
What in the world is this? I think this is the first time I've come across this. Or, I might know what it is but had no idea that's what it's called.

Ruyi

༺ aureate sect ༻

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Ai-chan is mostly on fantasy, tragedy and romance train. Fantasy because it's pretty much the easiest to get into due to Ai-chan drawing inspiration from dreams. Tragedy is quite easy to get info on, because Ai-chan often dreamed of deaths, wars and loss of loved ones. Romance is pretty easy to be inspired too, because Ai-chan's dreams last lifetimes, from birth to marriage, to old age, to death.

Now trying to dabble in sci-fi and real world alternate history stuff.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I tend to write fantasy that focuses on romance (usually gay) and/or the relationships between characters. If not that, then soft sci-fi or dystopia - just anything where something different to reality is going on.

I really hate writing mundane modern day settings. I read them, so I know they can be done well, but they become very dark and depressing whenever I write them. I can't help but think that writing about the world as it is is very bleak and depressing, and it doesn't inspire me at all. But somehow, I get a lot of praise for the sections of it that I do write...

I admire writers who challenge themselves with new genres, though, and want to do the same! So I'll tackle mundane modern day someday, and in a little bit, I'm going to try writing some horror short stories.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I tend to write fantasy that focuses on romance (usually gay) and/or the relationships between characters. If not that, then soft sci-fi or dystopia - just anything where something different to reality is going on.

I really hate writing mundane modern day settings. I read them, so I know they can be done well, but they become very dark and depressing whenever I write them. I can't help but think that writing about the world as it is is very bleak and depressing, and it doesn't inspire me at all. But somehow, I get a lot of praise for the sections of it that I do write...

I admire writers who challenge themselves with new genres, though, and want to do the same! So I'll tackle mundane modern day someday, and in a little bit, I'm going to try writing some horror short stories.
Oooooh horror short stories. I think I'd like to dabble on that too.

Pistachio

I'm used to writing fantasy, supernatural, and futuristic romances mainly because those are also my reading preferences. To be honest, I'm not sure of what genre I'm really going for since I tend to just let my imagination go all out. What I'm sure I'm weak of and something I am interested at the same time afraid to write about is comedy, heavy comedic undertones, the kind that really makes your stomach hurt laughing so hard.

Oh, thriller and horror too if I get the chance.

I write mainly comedy and slice of life with bit of weird stuff mixed in.

I already branch out to a lot of stuff in pursuit of entertainment. anything simple will do, but i do want to write some sci-fi adventure story. maybe something involving a dude with a spaceship going from planet to planet, finding weird things and gathering strange companions on quest to find a mysterious planet where he can (insert random goal here).

i'm also intrigued with surreal mystery stories, like, you have this dreamlike scenario where you can insert any symbolic nonsense that you actually witnessed in your head. for example: finding your class burning with flames in the shape of mathematical equations, your classmates sitting on a ceiling with the teacher's head filling more than half of the room, the grim reaper's at the door, hanging on a noose while saying hi.