What if an illiterate person gets a LitRPG system (that doesn't come with text-to-speech)?

hauntedwritings

If the system depends on the users being able to read, then the system is flawed. If something is made with the purpose of being used by everyone, it needs to be able to be used by everyone, regardless of circumstances.

Otherwise, you might as well ask 'what do you do, if you can read but you don't know the language?'. Or 'what if you're blind?' or 'what if I'm mute and can't speak 'status' to get the screen up, or what if my speech is so slopy it can't register what I'm saying just like Siri?'. If you say in the latter case that it's enough to say it mentally, then why cant the information given by the system be given mentally? It's better to assume, that the classical 'screen with text' is merely the 'users prefered method of presentation'.

If its supposed to be part of the plot however, then there's only one thing to do. Get someone to read it for you. (If they can't see the screen, then just copy everything onto the ground or whatever.)
Edit: The only other option, is of course, to ignore it. Don't know? Don't care!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Interestingly, hidden illiteracy is a far more pressing issue. A significant amount of people suffers from text comprehension rather than plain old illiteracy.

Agentt

Thighs
If the system depends on the users being able to read, then the system is flawed. If something is made with the purpose of being used by everyone, it needs to be able to be used by everyone, regardless of circumstances.

Otherwise, you might as well ask 'what do you do, if you can read but you don't know the language?'. Or 'what if you're blind?' or 'what if I'm mute and can't speak 'status' to get the screen up, or what if my speech is so slopy it can't register what I'm saying just like Siri?'. If you say in the latter case that it's enough to say it mentally, then why cant the information given by the system be given mentally? It's better to assume, that the classical 'screen with text' is merely the 'users prefered method of presentation'.

If its supposed to be part of the plot however, then there's only one thing to do. Get someone to read it for you. (If they can't see the screen, then just copy everything onto the ground or whatever.)
Edit: The only other option, is of course, to ignore it. Don't know? Don't care!
Geez, you can't just scold the dude for coming up with an original idea. This is writing prompt, not writing tips.
As for the idea itself, it is a great comical one. You can have literally anything on the system, like jokes for the viewers, the system bieng like "are you stupid or anything? Just follow my instructions!"
Another great things that can happen is to include that the MC mispronounce written scrolls which somehow increases their power heavily.
I'll keep this in my list and write when I have time.

Daitengu

Written language started as representational images. Then later transitioned to a logographic language, eventually moving to a phonographic system.

If a system has been around since the dawn of language or even before then, it should have ways of representing concepts without the need for text.

Example: snake
Str can be represented by an image of constriction.
Agl/spd by a slither or sidewinding.
Perception by a tongue.
Sta by a long trail.
Int by an eye.
Venom by fang.

Obviously numbers won't work, so a bar instead

________
Generally systems are either invented magical constructs where you have only the languages built in by the inventor. Or are some all encompassing godly working. The former has constraints of an analysis item with an often controlling organization or government. At which the guide would be able to read it to the stats to the person. While the god system is generally a mind's eye thing showing up in the mind in a way that allows that person to understand it.

Agentt

Thighs
Written language started as representational images. Then later transitioned to a logographic language, eventually moving to a phonographic system.

If a system has been around since the dawn of language or even before then, it should have ways of representing concepts without the need for text.

Example: snake
Str can be represented by an image of constriction.
Agl/spd by a slither or sidewinding.
Perception by a tongue.
Sta by a long trail.
Int by an eye.
Venom by fang.

Obviously numbers won't work, so a bar instead

________
Generally systems are either invented magical constructs where you have only the languages built in by the inventor. Or are some all encompassing godly working. The former has constraints of an analysis item with an often controlling organization or government. At which the guide would be able to read it to the stats to the person. While the god system is generally a mind's eye thing showing up in the mind in a way that allows that person to understand it.
This reminds me, how about everyone has that system, but since it uses such weird system, people are just used to it and no one has ever used it, except the mc.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
Then he'd be wasting his cheats... (O.O)
Also if the system chose him as a host, I'm are there will be other ways... or perhaps he'll notice some changes while he's moving on or something. Like prompts appearing once he finishes some random task or the bars going up and his body changing...

BubbleC

Floating Idiot

Yeah, this was actually partially why I started this thread.

I was thinking about how flawed systems were whilst planning a story with one. The only way for a universal RPG-like system to work is for the system to be an omnipotent being that is tied to your consciousness. If that's the case, the system is actually quite scary. It knows all your thoughts, and it controls all your stats, all your titles, all your abilities, all your quests, etc.

I suppose if you assume a system can only operate with the command of someone else (the player) the likelihood of things going wrong goes down but still. Why would such a powerful, overarching system work with the interests of the player in mind first? If there were some higher beings in charge, the system could easily be employed to wreck the lives of all the so-called players, and what if the system was sentient? Or maybe the system is just like some magical item or external application that just organizes the world around you, quantifying it but never altering reality? (I suppose that last one is the most popular interpretation of a system). These thoughts all raise some questions as to what the motives of a system really are too.

I'm sure there have been plenty of stories already exploring this; stories where systems screw over their owners are basically that. The whole fear of a system going out of control is really just the fear of AIs or technology going bad too. I also guess this isn't really that big of an issue in stories where only a single individual has a system since it implies that they've been chosen and hence the system affects them only.

But yeah, I don't know why it took me so long to realize how scary systems actually are. It's probably the biggest, baddest elephant in the room. Been reading this trope for a while now and it never crossed my dumb, dumb mind. I guess it's because I never finish any of the system-related web novels I pick up so I never see how authors resolve this lol.
Lol just realized I derailed my own thread. But ye, the whole representational language interface seems pretty interesting. Maybe the system gradually teaches the MC a modern language after finding out they can't understand the interface, and the MC gets hailed as a genius or sth.

Last edited:

Daitengu

This reminds me, how about everyone has that system, but since it uses such weird system, people are just used to it and no one has ever used it, except the mc.
We talking archaic mage language system, or a god system?

In the case of a great mage working, I personally I can't see the language dying if it is as wide spread as a global system. In fact I think it would become the standard language atleast when written. Even if the pronunciation drifts, the grammar of skill descriptions would stay intact. Like a Japanese accent vs a northern UK accent. They can't understand each other in native speak, but they're fine in written.

For a god system, I would assume it has a base language of the creator, with a translation filter via mind/soul interface. Kinda like how a Windows user can switch to a familiar language. But in the case of a system, the language translation would be automatic.

As for the writing prompt. It depends on the system. If a god system, there's no issue. If a magic construct, the person will have to either experiment, which will usually lead to massive failure when it's a phonographic language. With a logographic language there's a bit of guessing the meaning that can be done which will lead to a bit more success. But like all logographic languages, there's gonna be hundreds to thousands of symbols, often with multiple meanings. This is assuming the illiterate person has no options for others to read it to them, or the opportunity to learn to read. Which would gimp the person because numbers are a part of reading imo. Can't do any money planning in a society if you can't read numbers and do math. And God help you if you transmigrated and know base ten, but the world uses base twelve.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
We talking archaic mage language system, or a god system?

In the case of a great mage working, I personally I can't see the language dying if it is as wide spread as a global system. In fact I think it would become the standard language atleast when written. Even if the pronunciation drifts, the grammar of skill descriptions would stay intact. Like a Japanese accent vs a northern UK accent. They can't understand each other in native speak, but they're fine in written.

For a god system, I would assume it has a base language of the creator, with a translation filter via mind/soul interface. Kinda like how a Windows user can switch to a familiar language. But in the case of a system, the language translation would be automatic.

As for the writing prompt. It depends on the system. If a god system, there's no issue. If a magic construct, the person will have to either experiment, which will usually lead to massive failure when it's a phonographic language. With a logographic language there's a bit of guessing the meaning that can be done which will lead to a bit more success. But like all logographic languages, there's gonna be hundreds to thousands of symbols, often with multiple meanings. This is assuming the illiterate person has no options for others to read it to them, or the opportunity to learn to read. Which would gimp the person because numbers are a part of reading imo. Can't do any money planning in a society if you can't read numbers and do math. And God help you if you transmigrated and know base ten, but the world uses base twelve.
Quite an interesting take, like speed runners doing every silli thing to find everything. What I had for plan was that they treat system like we treat birthmark. Maybe put a religion which says that it is an ultimatum but no one believes in them.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Hmn..... *Adds this to my novel ideas but with a tweak*

A guy whose the strongest in his clan, gets a system that makes him smart. The Strongest Scolar is born seems a good idea to add to my list....

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
how long for the hero to find out the world uses base nine?
No, stop! The power of the bases is getting too powerful. If you speak any further and summon more bases, the hero might just implode the moment he gets hit by trunk-kun!

hauntedwritings

Geez, you can't just scold the dude for coming up with an original idea. This is writing prompt, not writing tips.
As for the idea itself, it is a great comical one. You can have literally anything on the system, like jokes for the viewers, the system bieng like "are you stupid or anything? Just follow my instructions!"
Another great things that can happen is to include that the MC mispronounce written scrolls which somehow increases their power heavily.
I'll keep this in my list and write when I have time.
I actually didn't check where the post was, my bad. Perhaps I was a bit shortsighted on my first post as well, and didn't think deeper on the matter, other than the first apparent flaws.

I suppose I'm mostly against this kind of story, as if that is the premise of the entire story, it would likely become boring after a while. There are only so many iterations of jokes you can use regarding the single subject before it gets boring.

But as you say, it makes for a great comedic subplot. Now IF there is a story that has this trait, then I'd much rather it follows along what you are suggesting as premise - that the fact that the MC can't understand what is being said, results in some increases in power. Possibly as a result of being guided by his/her own intuition, rather than by 'step-by-step' guidelines the system provides. Sort of turning the power hierarchy of the world upside down. However, it easily slips into existing tropes then (a powerful reincarnated individual uses 'old' fighting techniques vs new).

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Thats just "pandering to the 1%" bullshit. fuck outta here with that yo. No one said the world was fair. You get fucked over, you get fucked over.

hauntedwritings

Thats just "pandering to the 1%" bullshit. fuck outta here with that yo. No one said the world was fair. You get fucked over, you get fucked over.
How classy.

It was never about pandering to the minority. It was about making a premise that can give you a consitent, long-term plot.
But of course, some simply prefer to read and not care about the deeper meaning behind what is told. Which is ironic, because given your statement, the MC should stay incapable of growing stronger, as the MC is fucked over in an unfair world.

Isn't the pandering to the minority in this case, seeing the MC grow despite his setback as illiterate?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
How classy.

It was never about pandering to the minority. It was about making a premise that can give you a consitent, long-term plot.
But of course, some simply prefer to read and not care about the deeper meaning behind what is told. Which is ironic, because given your statement, the MC should stay incapable of growing stronger, as the MC is fucked over in an unfair world.

Isn't the pandering to the minority in this case, seeing the MC grow despite his setback as illiterate?
You will note how i never said he COULDNT find a way to overcome that and get stronger. But of course, some simply prefer to read and not care about the deeper meaning behind what is told.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

I had forced my MC to learn to read. This actually becomes a good driving point as a lazy farmer, James is forced to understand how his golden finger works or he might get killed off soon.

Ps. Learning to read actually helps him to pursue money making in being a scribe, merchant and some other jobs that require someone capable of undertsanding text. I am planning to have him being a leader of sorts in a raid party organised by knights.

hauntedwritings

You will note how i never said he COULDNT find a way to overcome that and get stronger. But of course, some simply prefer to read and not care about the deeper meaning behind what is told.
Oh, the irony. You surprise me.

You never had to say it, it's implied. Let me spell it out for you.

The LitRPG genre is Lit-erally Lit-tered with stories revolving around the MC being unique (and overcoming their challenges, if such exist). Stories about being that 1%, that you're looking down on (normally, uniqueness arising from a isekai-element). If you don't want uniquness, then what are you even doing here I wonder?

In this case, the uniqueness arises from the fact of illiteracy. You have two subcases:
1. The MC learns to read, where nobody else knows how. Congratulations, MC is now the special case, on the road to strength.
2. The MC is illiterate where everyone else knows how to read. Again, the MC is the special case!
You also have the cases where everyone knows how to read and MC learns how to, or where nobody knows. Both of which are cases, where the premise of illiteracy becomes pointless, and the premise will be something else.

As you have no intention of addressing the other points I mentioned and instead conveniently ignored them, I shall end my part here. It seems to me that you're looking to have the kind of conversation that I have no interest in, and does not belong in this forum either.
I apologize to any uninvolved readers.
Now excuse me, I have a stick to push further up my arse.