What is it with “yuri” authors and not using the bisexual protagonist tag

AliceHiess

I’ll be honest this is a straight up rant so if you don’t like that leave now. This is the 4th time I’ve run into a novel that’s labeled girls love that has het content despite not having the bisexual protagonist tag. First of all it’s not yuri if there’s any sort of heterosexual content end of story second of all if your going to insist it is then put the fucking tag. I was reading and the first pairing is het despite it being listed as girls love she hasn’t shown any attraction to other girls and the first time she shows attraction it’s to a guy. That’s an obvious sign this is not a girls love novel and it’s cheap yuri baiting fishing for views. I’m sick and tired of authors pulling this shit. It’s not just this website either people pull this shit on webnovel Wattpad and to a lesser degree royal road (neither tag exists on there so claiming that site is a problem for this reason is a stretch but the yuri baiting is still a big issue there). Just look at nanomancer that author yuri baited me for nearly 900 chapters then has her hook up with a guy who’s her frickin stalker and also her sworn brother if that wasn’t creepy enough already. I don’t care if they’re not blood related incest is still creepy. Can’t authors stop this shit and let me read yuri in peace.

to be clear what others are interested in is their business and I’m not going to shout them down for it we have enough people doing that without my loud voice added to the cacophony. I personally find het gross and unpleasant due to the shit I grew up with and read yuri for that reason having it shoved into a novel I’m reading for no reason pisses me the hell off. If someone wants to write a novel with mf mm or any of the countless sexualities in their pairing that’s fine I’m not interested but it’s their story all I ask is that they use the resources available to them to make deal breakers like that easy to identify.

Last edited:

Wohendum

I’ll be honest this is a straight up rant so if you don’t like that leave now. This is the 4th time I’ve run into a novel that’s labeled girls love that has het content despite not having the bisexual protagonist tag. First of all it’s not yuri if there’s any sort of heterosexual content end of story second of all if your going to insist it is then put the fucking tag. I was reading and the first pairing is het despite it being listed as girls love she hasn’t shown any attraction to other girls and the first time she shows attraction it’s to a guy. That’s an obvious sign this is not a girls love novel and it’s cheap yuri baiting fishing for views. I’m sick and tired of authors pulling this shit. It’s not just this website either people pull this shit on webnovel Wattpad and to a lesser degree royal road. Just look at nanomancer that author yuri baited me for nearly 900 chapters then has her hook up with a guy who’s her frickin stalker and also her sworn brother if that wasn’t creepy enough already. I don’t care if they’re not blood related incest is still creepy. Can’t authors stop this shit and let me read yuri in peace.
I am also annoyed with how there will be M/M and F/F relationships, and its not stated. This is a problem big time on RR, but I've noticed SH seems to like to slide that in there sometimes and not let you know until you're reading it. It's annoying.

I don’t care if they’re not blood related incest is still creepy
I won't be agreeing with this though. It is not incest if they share no blood relation. Incest literally means they are in some manner, blood-related. Step-siblings are only related by marriage, by legality, and so this is not incest. People need to stop misusing the term. It's like with Harems. If the MC does not end up at the end of the story, with 3 or more wives or girlfriends, then it wasn't a Harem. It doesn't matter what he did during the middle of the story, if he chooses only one in the end, or even just 2, then it wasn't a harem and the tag was misused. Having 2 is a menage-a-trois. Not a harem. Harems have to be 3 or more.

No, I'm not advocating an interest in either. Just saying these tags are regularly misused or not used at all.

AliceHiess

I am also annoyed with how there will be M/M and F/F relationships, and its not stated. This is a problem big time on RR, but I've noticed SH seems to like to slide that in there sometimes and not let you know until you're reading it. It's annoying.

I won't be agreeing with this though. It is not incest if they share no blood relation. Incest literally means they are in some manner, blood-related. Step-siblings are only related by marriage, by legality, and so this is not incest. People need to stop misusing the term. It's like with Harems. If the MC does not end up at the end of the story, with 3 or more wives or girlfriends, then it wasn't a Harem. It doesn't matter what he did during the middle of the story, if he chooses one in the end, or even just 2, then it wasn't a harem and the tag was misused. Having 2 is a menage-a-trois. Not a harem. Harems have to be 3 or more.
She literally refers to him as little brother and grew up with him if it’s to that degree it’s close enough for me but fair enough it’s just my complicated relationship with my family causes me to stretch the definition a bit.

Last edited:

PancakesWitch

I’ll be honest this is a straight up rant so if you don’t like that leave now. This is the 4th time I’ve run into a novel that’s labeled girls love that has het content despite not having the bisexual protagonist tag. First of all it’s not yuri if there’s any sort of heterosexual content end of story second of all if your going to insist it is then put the fucking tag. I was reading and the first pairing is het despite it being listed as girls love she hasn’t shown any attraction to other girls and the first time she shows attraction it’s to a guy. That’s an obvious sign this is not a girls love novel and it’s cheap yuri baiting fishing for views. I’m sick and tired of authors pulling this shit. It’s not just this website either people pull this shit on webnovel Wattpad and to a lesser degree royal road. Just look at nanomancer that author yuri baited me for nearly 900 chapters then has her hook up with a guy who’s her frickin stalker and also her sworn brother if that wasn’t creepy enough already. I don’t care if they’re not blood related incest is still creepy. Can’t authors stop this shit and let me read yuri in peace.
what novel are you talking about?

Wohendum

She literally refers to him as little brother if it’s to that degree it’s close enough for me but fair enough it’s just my complicated relationship with my family causes me to stretch the definition a bit.
Say no more. I get and understand it. I'm the black sheep in my family and understand how dysfunctional families can be.

AliceHiess

what novel are you talking about?
Off the top of my head
  • I am a succubus from here,
  • nanomancer reborn as a snow girl from webnovel,
  • 2 genshin fanfics I forget the names of on Wattpad,
  • I may be here with 10,000 other people from earth, but why am I the only one of my class? on SH,
  • Bondalc! A Tale of Degeneracy also from here,
  • and the one I was complaining about today Shattered Moonstone. Didn’t bother reading past the point where she kissed her sisters childhood friend (who she just met) on the lips though.

Last edited:

EnroItzal

Just want to take this opportunity to share my experience. I'm currently writing an action-adventure genderbender novel. MC is a male-turned-female. When people noticed the "Bisexual Protagonist" tag in my story, I was literally assaulted with (not physical ones of course)abuse for quite a while before the story even got to the part when MC starts showing interest in a Male Character.

I'm also writing a novel with a hetero ML that has a harem but quite a few readers had expressed themselves being turned off by the "Girl's Love as Subplot" tag.

I think the authors just rather deal with the outrage later on when the readers are already immersed with their stories than to address it early on to put off potential readers.

Shameless self-advertising corner here.
Fox Girl - Bi Protag
No nonsense Het ML with a harem
Guy got reincarnated as a Dragon

Last edited:

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I’ll be honest this is a straight up rant so if you don’t like that leave now. This is the 4th time I’ve run into a novel that’s labeled girls love that has het content despite not having the bisexual protagonist tag. First of all it’s not yuri if there’s any sort of heterosexual content end of story second of all if your going to insist it is then put the fucking tag. I was reading and the first pairing is het despite it being listed as girls love she hasn’t shown any attraction to other girls and the first time she shows attraction it’s to a guy. That’s an obvious sign this is not a girls love novel and it’s cheap yuri baiting fishing for views. I’m sick and tired of authors pulling this shit. It’s not just this website either people pull this shit on webnovel Wattpad and to a lesser degree royal road (neither tag exists on there so claiming that site is a problem for this reason is a stretch but the yuri baiting is still a big issue there). Just look at nanomancer that author yuri baited me for nearly 900 chapters then has her hook up with a guy who’s her frickin stalker and also her sworn brother if that wasn’t creepy enough already. I don’t care if they’re not blood related incest is still creepy. Can’t authors stop this shit and let me read yuri in peace.
Maybe we will propose actual legislation to bring these guys down…

Attachments

• E6AF186B-81A0-40C7-A851-5BE49DC33C2B.jpeg
    E6AF186B-81A0-40C7-A851-5BE49DC33C2B.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 40

AliceHiess

Just want to take this opportunity to share my experience. I'm currently writing an action-adventure genderbender novel. MC is a male-turned-female. When people noticed the "Bisexual Protagonist" tag in my story, I was literally assaulted with (not physical ones of course)abuse for quite a while before the story even got to the part when MC starts showing interest in a Male Character.

I'm also writing a novel with a hetero ML that has a harem but quite a few readers had expressed themselves being turned off by the "Girl's Love as Subplot" tag.

I think the authors just rather deal with the outrage later on when the readers are already immersed with their stories than to address it early on to put off potential readers.
That just makes it more dishonest. Intentionally hiding information that could be a turn of for readers simply to fish for views is wrong and anyone who does so deserves a poor score. SH has a lot of tags so I can see some people missing them but when an author straight up refuses to add the tag or a content warning of any sort when asked like the author of bondalc did that’s just plain dishonest.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Lot of salt for what's literally just GL content. I don't get this. You don't see this in other genres. If you put a yandere tag on a harem novel people don't complain to all hell when a tsundere appears, so long as the yandere is there. I don't know if it's years of homoseuxal repression or whatever social stigma that made people this adamant about specifics but it's fascinating to me, to say the least.

Most established LGBT authors I found on the site puts the main context of the relationship in the synopsis, like MtF Yuri or whatever other combination they're writing, so why not just do that? Saves the trouble, doesn't it?

To add an addendum, like the age old adage, be the change you wanna see.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
Hmmm... fascinating. I'll watch from the shadows and see how this discussion goes...
I’ll be honest this is a straight up rant so if you don’t like that leave now. This is the 4th time I’ve run into a novel that’s labeled girls love that has het content despite not having the bisexual protagonist tag. First of all it’s not yuri if there’s any sort of heterosexual content end of story second of all if your going to insist it is then put the fucking tag.
Actually, there are times when an F/MC could start out by dating a male and then realize she isn't attracted to that gender. Then she starts to date a female and that turns into the yuri story. If that happened with my MC I wouldn't put the bi tag because that would be a coming of age scenario where she was exploring what she likes and ultimately finding love in the same sex.

longer

Balls
I don't know if it's years of homoseuxal repression or whatever social stigma that made people this adamant about specifics but it's fascinating to me, to say the least.
Idk man, I think reading about halal sex when you expect solely haram stuff can really annoy people. In contrast, a tsundere being in a harem with a yandere is much more mild in comparison.

Think of it like your gf surprises you with anal one day. Getting a tsundere in the harem would be akin to her getting lube and preparing her butt. Getting hetero while being told it was pure yuri is like getting pegged without notice.

AliceHiess

Hmmm... fascinating. I'll watch from the shadows and see how this discussion goes...

Actually, there are times when an F/MC could start out by dating a male and then realize she isn't attracted to that gender. Then she starts to date a female and that turns into the yuri story. If that happened with my MC I wouldn't put the bi tag because that would be a coming of age scenario where she was exploring what she likes and ultimately finding love in the same sex.
They could put that in the synopsis it wouldn’t be any more of a spoiler than marking it as girls love in the first place would and I’ve seen it done before.

TotallyHuman

Just look at nanomancer that author yuri baited me for nearly 900 chapters then has her hook up with a guy who’s her frickin stalker and also her sworn brother if that wasn’t creepy enough already. I don’t care if they’re not blood related incest is still creepy. Can’t authors stop this shit and let me read yuri in peace.
Why did you have to remind me? I feel so angry now

AliceHiess

Why did you have to remind me? I feel so angry now
Don’t feel bad it’s been like a year or some shit and I still feel pissed off about it whenever I think about it. I did hear there was some suspected foul play from the publisher but that was just a rumor with no evidence behind it that I’m aware of.

Waskertyioup

I've never done that (I think), but I'm not sure if I should recommend my works here in this post...

Waskertyioup

This is actually really common, but the OP is stating something like "and she ended whit the boy", but maybe there'll also be a rant about those kind of stuff (like Girls Friends, Useless Princess, etc)

BlackKnightX

Go for gender-bender. I highly doubt any male-to-female gender-bender is gonna hook up with a guy. There may be some but most don’t.

Last edited: