What is your favorite type of villain, and why?

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Those who accept that what they are doing is wrong and continue to do it.

I think it is difficult to explain, so I will do it with an example. El SUEÑO of Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Leader of a drug trafficking organization, terrorist, the fucking devil. And when you go to confront him, he welcomes you with open hands saying: "Right, I killed people, I kidnapped people, I sold children for organs. And here I am facing what I have done, I don't regret what I did, I did what I wanted to do, and that's why you come to arrest me and I will not surrender to justice, I will fight because that's what I want, and what I want, I do".

The fucker spends the whole game screwing around and getting screwed by our actions. It feels like a brutal duel of minds where each tries to beat his rival in the worst way in a dirty fight. By the end of the game you just want to put a bullet in his head, and the bad ending you do, but there are repercussions because your superiors wanted him alive

Last edited:
my favorite villains are ones that are also the mc instead the ones that serves to annoy the mc.

some of them include postal dude and fang yuan.

they don't have to be super intelligent, i just like it when they're entertaining af when wreaking havoc without giving a fuck.

i also like fabulous, comedic and relatable villains. yoshikage kira is one example. the man just wants to live a quiet life like a plant.

LostLibrarian

Those that actually fit in the story...

To me, the perfect villain should be a person that challenges the MC's core values. If you have a MC who wants freedom, it'll be some kind of oppressive force. If you have a MC that wants to get stronger, it would be a villain that forces the MC to confront their weakness. If you have a MC that wants to start anew, it'll be a villain that forces the MC to relive their past and the things they wanted to run away from.

In general, I like villains more that challenge the internal values of the MC and aren't just a wall to overcome with a power up. But even the best villain kinda falls flat, if they are more of a "I had that cool idea for a villain" and not one that actually fits the narrative. One of my favorite villains would be Makishima from Psycho Pass - but he is also one that wouldn't work in most other stories.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I like villains who are trying to do the right thing for humanity even though most of humanity disagrees.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
I have two actually:

The Noble Demon archetype: A form of villain that whilst considerably evil has standards to their villainy and a code of laws they follow.

And

The Magnificent Bastard: A true scumbag that is so charismatic you can't help but love him.

If this was focused on antagonists rather than straight up villains I would a Knight Templar type would probably be my favorite, meaning a well-meaning extremist in layman's terms.

Draconite

Exist in the void
Villains that are forced to be evil because of various circumstances or to achieve certain goals. I'm looking at you Otto Apocalypse.

Noah526

I like villains who just have a different view of the world. It's just that such villains don't want to hurt on purpose, they just think they're doing better. It's just that such villains in the movies are more talkative and reveal themselves more as individuals.

Last edited:

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
Hmm.... a villain with a sympathetic philosophy, one that I can go: "You know what? They are right! Fuck those guys!"