What kind of music do you guys listen to (If you do) to get you writing?

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Tried that, it didn't work. As long as it's something I phonetically understand as language, even if it's not one I speak, I cannot concentrate the words in my own brain. U_U
Another alternative then would be listening to foreign instrumentals, if you haven't tried to yet. Like Japanese koto, or Chinese Gu Qin performances. Some are upbeat, some are relaxing.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Tried that, it didn't work. As long as it's something I phonetically understand as language, even if it's not one I speak, I cannot concentrate the words in my own brain. U_U
Conversely, have you tried listening to incoherent English? As in, English spoken in such an outlandish and accented way that it sounds both foreign and familiar?

Jemini

Zero music while writing for me. It's strange, because at any time other than reading and writing I am constantly filling the airwaves with sound of various types. (usually from listening to podcasts.) However, when I read or write, everything goes silent. It's especially noticeable with writing because then I don't even have the mental voices in my head. Everything's just quiet as I focus on writing, and that's what works for me as I write. (Unless I am sleep deprived. In that case, the effort I put into writing becomes so relaxing and meditative that I start falling asleep.)

Monk_Origins

I just put on something I like on repeat. This one was the one that did the job for my latest chapter, whatever it is.

Last edited:

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
I've been listening to minami, and I loved the intensity of her voice. And yeah, you don't really realize how depressing some of the lyrics are until you've turned on CC.
Osu introduced me over to this side. xD

I once downloaded a song called No Title and thought it sounded nice, it was only after a couple of month did I realize that the lyrics were depressing since I never suspected from its track being upbeat. I got hooked since then.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
Zero music while writing for me. It's strange, because at any time other than reading and writing I am constantly filling the airwaves with sound of various types. (usually from listening to podcasts.) However, when I read or write, everything goes silent. It's especially noticeable with writing because then I don't even have the mental voices in my head. Everything's just quiet as I focus on writing, and that's what works for me as I write. (Unless I am sleep deprived. In that case, the effort I put into writing becomes so relaxing and meditative that I start falling asleep.)
I always fall into a rut after a few hours of just background noise. I'm amazed you can handle it.
Osu introduced me over to this side. xD

I once downloaded a song called No Title and thought it sounded nice, it was only after a couple of month did I realize that the lyrics were depressing since I never suspected from its track being upbeat. I got hooked since then.
They hook you with that upbeat track and net you with the depressing lyrics lol.

Aleth08

I used to, when I started writing. But over time, I realized music influenced my writing. Depending on what u listen to, ur writing will change. The music will drag your story towards any direction according to its tempo most of the time. It can even affect the pacing. And I found solitude and quiet best environment for my writing. Music with reading is good, but writing needs absolute concentration imo.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
I used to, when I started writing. But over time, I realized music influenced my writing. Depending on what u listen to, ur writing will change. The music will drag your story towards any direction according to its tempo most of the time. It can even affect the pacing. And I found solitude and quiet best environment for my writing. Music with reading is good, but writing needs absolute concentration imo.
Like what some of the others had stated, you haven't tried to set the genre of the music to your scenes?

Aleth08

Like what some of the others had stated, you haven't tried to set the genre of the music to your scenes?
You can do that, but the music will influence it nonetheless. Finding a song that fits the scene to the tee, thats another task in itself. And will take time that you can use otherwise in writing.

Alkareel

Cuisses de Grenouille
You can do that, but the music will influence it nonetheless. Finding a song that fits the scene to the tee, thats another task in itself. And will take time that you can use otherwise in writing.
You make a good point. I agree that's why I use the time I have when I can't write, for one reason or another. When it's time for writing, I feel like I'm wasting time when paying attention to other tasks.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I used to listen to music, but I prefer it quiet these days. I like a variety of stuff, but I'm picky about lyrics. I won't tolerate anything that glorifies monogamy.

mostlyharmfulll

TeaMate since day 1
I mostly listen to nightcore while writing. For some reason, nightcored songs help my inspiration. Also I try to use different songs for different scenes: For example rock or rap when I write action scenes or slower music when I write dialogue.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
I've been listening to a variety of things. If I want something more relaxing I like ambient stuff like this:

As Halloween was approaching(and many times since) when I started Lilith's story I ended up listening to these two a lot:

🎃 Lofi Halloween Mix 1 🎃 [Dark Lofi Hip Hop Beats by Dated]

🎃 Lofi Halloween Mix 2 🎃 [Dark Lofi Hip Hop Beats by Dated]

Plus this Swing mix occasionally

Spooky Swing - Electro Swing Halloween Mix 2020 🎃 😈 🌕 💀

Some of my other favorites recently for Lo-Fi have been:

Lo-fi for Witches (Only) [lofi / calm / chill beats]

Lo-fi for Ghosts (Only)

Lo-fi for Demons (Only) ~ lofi hip hop mix

And then some other compilations I've listened to have been:

BULLET HELL - TOUHOU ALBUM || OFFICIAL STREAM

BULLET HELL II (Touhou Album) || OFFICIAL STREAM

【東方ジャズ】Best of Touhou Funk / Swing Jazz Songs【作業用】

✦PSYQUI COLLECTION✦ ALL TRACKS OF PSYQUI - (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ (re-upload)

I just put on something I like on repeat. This one was the one that did the job for my latest chapter, whatever it is.

【艦これボーカル】 帝國交響楽団 - 燃え落ちる誇り -Counter raid Another D- 【Subbed】

I LOVE THAT SONG! It's one of my favorites! I'm not familiar much with the franchise but it's from some Japanese browser games where world war 2 ships are waifus.

Monk_Origins

I've been listening to a variety of things. If I want something more relaxing I like ambient stuff like this:

As Halloween was approaching(and many times since) when I started Lilith's story I ended up listening to these two a lot:

🎃 Lofi Halloween Mix 1 🎃 [Dark Lofi Hip Hop Beats by Dated]

🎃 Lofi Halloween Mix 2 🎃 [Dark Lofi Hip Hop Beats by Dated]

Plus this Swing mix occasionally

Spooky Swing - Electro Swing Halloween Mix 2020 🎃 😈 🌕 💀

Some of my other favorites recently for Lo-Fi have been:

Lo-fi for Witches (Only) [lofi / calm / chill beats]

Lo-fi for Ghosts (Only)

Lo-fi for Demons (Only) ~ lofi hip hop mix

And then some other compilations I've listened to have been:

BULLET HELL - TOUHOU ALBUM || OFFICIAL STREAM

BULLET HELL II (Touhou Album) || OFFICIAL STREAM

【東方ジャズ】Best of Touhou Funk / Swing Jazz Songs【作業用】

✦PSYQUI COLLECTION✦ ALL TRACKS OF PSYQUI - (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ (re-upload)

I LOVE THAT SONG! It's one of my favorites! I'm not familiar much with the franchise but it's from some Japanese browser games where world war 2 ships are waifus.
Ya, Touhou stuff is good. My playlist kinda got filled by them even through I never looked for them specifically.
By the way, if your taste in music is somewhat similar to mine, then you have to check out ShibayanRecords. They do some crazy good stuff.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
Ya, Touhou stuff is good. My playlist kinda got filled by them even through I never looked for them specifically.
By the way, if your taste in music is somewhat similar to mine, then you have to check out ShibayanRecords. They do some crazy good stuff.
Thanks! I'll look into it! Maybe, as soon as I get off the forums and start writing again...

GAAAH BRAIN WORK PLEASE!
menhera-chan_confused_tired.png