What Made You Start Writing, And I Guess Get Into Books

Bobple

After finally posting my first story, I had a look back on my history of books and writing.

As a kid I wasn't into books at all. Writing hated it. For the first part of my life that was due to my grammar and spelling being atrocious no matter how hard I tried. And me enjoying more visual forms of stories. Then it was strengthen as Art (another thing I found interesting) and Writing were what my sister was good at. I was the math and code, she was the visual and story. She was amazing at it, I was bad. That was our 'structure'.

This hatred of writing got amplified, when I think in year 4 or 5? My class had to write a short story, and we had to put a little of ourselves in it, and for the first time I was genuinely invested in writing and put my heart into it...
But I may of put too much in...
The story was simple, about the feelings of being invisible and all that blah. But ended with very happy note of your not alone, their friends all around blah blah. This story was shoved in my face for months with people asking me am I okay. Now I understood the concern, but no matter how hard I tried to explain I was okay, and the story ended happy because that was what I genuinely believed at the time. No one was having it, and now that hurt a lot.

Anyway so I didn't like writing but things changed. A long time later. So over ten years had passed, during mid-late high school I got into reading. I consumed shows really fast, but of course I wanted to know about stories. So that led into comics and manga, then in a short period of time I read thousands. Then about after a year I read my first none school related book. Then I read a lot of books. Starting from Cultivation stuff, to light novels, to web novels, to blah blah.

Then the eventually bug a lot of people get when the read a lot, they want to try writing. I spent two years trying (and mostly failing) to write, and I only got an okay grasp of it recently. I still have issues but they aren't important to this thread.

So summary, I read a lot, then I wanted to try writing. The only thing that I wished was I got into both fields sooner.

So as the title of the thread goes "What Made You Start Writing, And I Guess Get Into Books"

ShipTeaser

Well, I've always been massive into books. As a kid i remember reading Lord Of The Rings over the course of a day at age ten or so, then got into books like the Deptford Mice, Redwall etc. before moving onto m ore adult stuff like by David Gemmel and the Wheel of Time. I started writing around age 18 or so, a few Final Fantasy fanfics and unique FF-inspired stories, as well as some short fantasy and sci-fi. But then life happened and i kind of fell out of writing.

I then got big into Japanese/Korean/Chinese lit, and that made me want to try my hand at writing my own, and the rest is history, or words on a page *wink*

D

Deleted member 54065

Me? I originally write graphic novels in manga-style.

But then, I realized, without an assistant it takes me 8 months to write something that can be read by someone for 15 minutes. So, I decided to write novels with illustrations (a la light novel style) since then.

As for my actual desire to write? Reading encyclopedias, almanacs, and other books gathering dust in our schools' libraries got me ideas that coalesced into concepts I wanted to write. And since I don't want to suffer in making graphic novels, I wrote novels.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
I started with fanfics. It was probably because of *envy* honestly :blob_teehee:

I wondered how stories that had no coherent plot or proper grammar could get noticed by so many people, and even praised. The answer is hot anime girls.

But now, I have a different reason for continuing to write. The concept of creating a fictional world intrigues me to no end, and being able to control everything is fun. No, it's not a god complex. :blob_shock:

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Ian Livingstone adventure books.

Being around 5-6, they introduced me to fantasy, and from then on, I always started to make up my own stories and run fantasy adventures with my friends. We didn't have D&D here; I didn't even know what it was until playing video games like Baldur's Gate. Creating my own fantasy worlds and adventures that I made my friends play while I was the "dungeon master" led me to role-play forums and then to writing.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Reading was a hereditary disease, writing out of disappointment in what I read, though little came of that before I realized editing is almost all of the shaping freedom for a fraction of the work.

Le_ther

After finally posting my first story, I had a look back on my history of books and writing.

As a kid I wasn't into books at all. Writing hated it. For the first part of my life that was due to my grammar and spelling being atrocious no matter how hard I tried. And me enjoying more visual forms of stories. Then it was strengthen as Art (another thing I found interesting) and Writing were what my sister was good at. I was the math and code, she was the visual and story. She was amazing at it, I was bad. That was our 'structure'.

This hatred of writing got amplified, when I think in year 4 or 5? My class had to write a short story, and we had to put a little of ourselves in it, and for the first time I was genuinely invested in writing and put my heart into it...
The story was simple, about the feelings of being invisible and all that blah. But ended with very happy note of your not alone, their friends all around blah blah. This story was shoved in my face for months with people asking me am I okay. Now I understood the concern, but no matter how hard I tried to explain I was okay, and the story ended happy because that was what I genuinely believed at the time. No one was having it, and now that hurt a lot.

Anyway so I didn't like writing but things changed. A long time later. So over ten years had passed, during mid-late high school I got into reading. I consumed shows really fast, but of course I wanted to know about stories. So that led into comics and manga, then in a short period of time I read thousands. Then about after a year I read my first none school related book. Then I read a lot of books. Starting from Cultivation stuff, to light novels, to web novels, to blah blah.

Then the eventually bug a lot of people get when the read a lot, they want to try writing. I spent two years trying (and mostly failing) to write, and I only got an okay grasp of it recently. I still have issues but they aren't important to this thread.

So summary, I read a lot, then I wanted to try writing. The only thing that I wished was I got into both fields sooner.

So as the title of the thread goes "What Made You Start Writing, And I Guess Get Into Books"
Looking towards your story I find it very fascinating it is similar to mine. I hated writing when I was in elementary school and called stories to be hard to put into imagination. But then during 1st year of highschool I tried watching an anime but then got cutoff in the best part(FYI it was cote) then I read the ln which then makes me more curious to other novel works and then so on until I have almost read the popular east asian novels.

At this point, I also wanna try writing but the fear of perfectionism instill hesitation on me. I am afraid my writing won't be what i expect even if I tried that's why thank you for making this thread. It made me realize that I just wanted to try writing and not make a masterpiece at the start but merely grasp to extent what I can and what i want.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Deltora quest, Harry Potter, Doald Dahl waaay back in primary school. I thought Deltora Quest was the shit right up there with black ops 1. High school is when I started writing thanks to an unhealthy Minecraft obsession (and needed my fix in the form of fan fics). I got so pissed back then at the ending of one that I ended up writing my own Minecraft FF and never stopped writing. 10 yrs later and I'm here.

1675422741471.png
1675422860641.png

ShipTeaser

Ian Livingstone adventure books.

Being around 5-6, they introduced me to fantasy, and from then on, I always started to make up my own stories and run fantasy adventures with my friends. We didn't have D&D here; I didn't even know what it was until playing video games like Baldur's Gate. Creating my own fantasy worlds and adventures that I made my friends play while I was the "dungeon master" led me to role-play forums and then to writing.

Lol I forgot about those. My first was Deathtrap Dungeon, iirc.

I also remember Creature of Havoc being like totally impossible, and when i counted, like 84 out of 400 parts killed you lol

doravg

106/4001 (bigot towards homophobs)

I started off with fan fiction, but not ones that use the characters in the fandom, but ones which free roll it. At first, I was bad at it. English is not my first language, and I have dyslexia. My first serious attempt at writing was Breaking the Mold. I did that back in 2020, but rushed the ending. After that, I reread the fic a couple of times, and really wanted to do it justice.

You have to understand that the main characters were mostly OCs in their fandom, and so, without knowing it, I wrote an original story. I made the characters who and what they are. Made them fall in love. Go through tough times. Then, I landed a job in public administration and after the first six months, there was nothing for me to do. So, I went back to writing fan fiction, and somewhere along the way, my first 100% original novel was born.

Now, I can no longer write fan fiction, but I push out a story every 10-16 days. All of them have what I lack in life. What I can't get: romantic love, and harmony.

Tempokai

Overworked One
I wrote because I was bored with no job while in work and there was no new interesting novels to read. I got into webnovels because of shit 4G mobile internet that wasn't enough for the manga and video games

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
I started writing because I saw a story written by an author in highschool about dragons. It reminded me of my story with dragons that I had during the same time of my life. I had tried to write it back then, but had given up.
Now I'm here writing the story that I'd previously thought would never see the light of day.

apexaltra

I used to make little storybooks as a kid. Like "pieces of notepad paper stapled together with shit drawings of dragons drawn on them, and every word was misspelled because I was in 1st grade." As I got older I'd write stories for English class and dabbled in fanfiction; I had dreams of creating my own webcomic or book series, and thought up plots and characters but nothing went anywhere lol. I've only just started posting my work within the last few years.

I was also big into reading, but I fell off the wagon and now I'm trying to get myself to pick up more books as an adult.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I started reading Buck Danny comics when I was a kid. I always enjoyed reading but I was more into encyclopedias and Popular Mechanics rather than actual stories. I read my first short stories in Reader's Diggest Selections, and then jumped into actual books. When I was a teen I got into fanfiction, I was really into the fandom but I looked only for the "quality" ones.

At the same time, I had this idea in the back of my head that slowly shaped my current story. I created my own universe, with the characters, worlds, and stuff but when I tried to write it down I realized it was impossible to write with my current skill level at the time and that I was chewing much more than I could handle. It was super epic stuff that would make Halo look tiny in comparison. That was around 2010. twelve years and a lot of daydreaming later, I decided to write down a much smaller story which is what I'm currently writing.

Missivist

Reading was a hereditary disease,

Well, I've always been massive into books. As a kid i remember reading Lord Of The Rings over the course of a day at age ten or so...
I started writing around age 18 or so...
But then life happened and i kind of fell out of writing.

This. Very much all of this. I basically grew up in my father's vast library of fantasy and science fiction. Writing well is hard work, though, and I have read too many good books and other stories to want to do a half-assed job of it. So far on SH, I just write wordy comments. 🙄