What makes you give a story a 1-star rating?

Azazel_E

I got to thinking about this after seeing my second 1-star rating.

I don't think I have ever given a story a 1-star rating in my life. That means you absolutely hate it. As in, it's complete and utter garbage. I-am-offended-you-had-the-audacity-to-post-it level garbage. I've never come across a story that bad. 1-star means you have no plot, terrible writing, terrible formatting, a terrible cover, terrible grammar, AND you have to insult at least one ethnic minority.

If it's something I feel I won't like because of personal taste (I find a character annoying, angsty romance, cliché cultivation novels), I just move on, not insult the writing itself. And if I give a rating of less than 4.5, I'll write a review saying why.

How about you? What makes you give a story a bad rating? How do you feel about 1-star reviews and what deserves them?

LordJoyde

The only time I've ever given a 1 star rating was when I was personally at odds with its author and wanted to see him crash and burn, which he did and I regret absolutely nothing, regardless of the story itself being whatever it was. (wasn't that good in of itself but not deserving of a 1 star)

Now then, when it comes to bad ratings, I usually do not even give stories a second look if I don't instantly like the premise. I'm not the kind of person that forces themselves to read something they dislike because that something happens to have good grammar only to leave behind a 'review' saying its shit as if me choosing to read it is somehow the authors fault. It is not my responsibility if people aren't mentally apt enough to pick what they like and dislike, nor is it the authors.

However, when a story starts out as something that I enjoy, but then devolves itself suddenly into something I most certainly do not, I am going to be commenting on it. If it happens overtime rather than as a sudden change, then the review should never go below a 4th star, as that means the author deserves bonus points for effort if nothing else.

But anyway, can you give me a link to the story in question?

SailusGebel

In my opinion 1-star rating is something that has terrible grammar. And you basically can't read the story due to how badly everything is phrased. Constant misusage of words, contradictions, and other similar stuff. In other words, when a technical aspect sucks a lot, I would give a story a 1-star or lower rating.

The problem with ratings and reviews is that everyone sees them differently. Except for haters, people might give one star simply because they don't like something. They don't look at how the said something is written the quality of it. If they don't like it, they put a 1 star or half a star. Some people don't give a low star rating no matter how badly something is written. Because they respect the author, who took his time to write and so on and so forth. Anyway, you can't think that everyone has the same thinking as yourself. That everyone uses ratings and reviews the same way you do. So don't think hard about them. Also, scribble hub notorious for the following thing. Almost all the novel that hit a trending or shows up in the latest series will get a fair share of one-star ratings. Even when you release a new novel with a single chapter, chances are high someone will give you a one star.
Edit. I also forgot to mention how I personally feel about this. It's not comfortable to get one-star ratings, so I try to ignore them as much as I can.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
A one star rating is for a story that is just straight up terrible. It will have little to no redeeming qualities. The plot is bad, the characters are bad, the writing's bad, etc. Note that I hand out few one star reviews, as rarely do I actually read a story that terrible (like, once in a blue moon level of rare).

D

Deleted member 45782

I haven't given a rating/review on stories yet. I say when it's bad, its bad bad. Not just grammar but mostly touchy subjects and how they make light of it or use it often.

Things I have heard in stories that I would drop asap: racism, nationalism, misogynism, rape, plot and character development that just doesn't make sense. Other sensitive topics as well, especially if it seems not much research has been done on it and it's really off (not just a bit since authors always have some creative freedom with it) but so off the mark that it becomes offensive.

I mean if it's like set in historical time and your characters reflect the thinking of that society's time or your character(s) and there's some development maybe for them to progress and not think like that way, or received some trauma that is central to the plot and how they develop from that all that ties in with how they deal with the trauma. Or stories where it's war and conflicts so you have fictional races possibly in conflict with another and show some signs of racism and stuff but there is some development to move beyond that like some characters reflecting how it's just flat out bad and some things are being done change it to make it better.

But have heard lot of stories where authors just like writing those in (racism, rape, etc.) and it doesn't cater to the plot; it's pretty obvious who they are referring to irl. It's pretty racist, and superiority complex over others like justifying an excuse to be superior and get away with the things they (characters) commit. It's things like rape and misogyny in stories where it's like they treat the character like shit and the character still loves them afterward. Or characters become collection, and nothing after that. These stories are crap that I don't bother touching. Not really there for plot, the author just insert their shitty opinions/shitty writing development in just for the sake of it. Their stories are 1.0 and probably should be less. Thankfully the times I do search for books to read, I look at reviews and tags so I avoid these things, but have heard enough cases that it taints how others feel about these authors and other stuff about the authors.

And then for plot development. If the story just turns really horrible like it doesn't make sense at all, like if the characters and the plot is all over the place without some reason why. Like you have a character that is nice and kind and suddenly is an expert and goes all gun welding, knife slashing at aliens without any training whatsoever, and it doesn't explain how they suddenly switch in personalities, or suddenly became strong. Annoying clichés (esp. certain ones like OP/know everything, too oblivious, glorifying bad guys just bc they're hot even thu they do some pretty despicable things...) and its just that, it doesn't do anything to go out of it or make it better and the author is basically over reliant on these clichés that prevents better plot and character development. Character development doesn't change, even after an event that is supposed to make them reflect and change, or how they always just stay arrogant/make bad decisions without any consequences happening to them. Looking at these stories and how it's not as bad those stories mentioned above, this would be low too but maybe 1-2 ratings or maybe around 2 star ratings bc it just not as shitty as the ones above.

And ofc, if your story is straight out plagiarism like Tang Qi then it's automatically 1.0 and should be less too.

Last edited by a moderator:

DubstheDuke

Yeah I mean I think there are a lot of trolls who will give 1 star ratings, but also I think the majority of people who would legitimately give one star ratings are those who read the story only to be disappointed. If they put time and effort into reading it, then they will likely be pissed if it ends up going in a bad direction or if it ends up not being what they wanted it to be.

Even so, for me personally, I would really have to be disgusted by the story to give it one star. Like if I read a story and am just absolutely horrified at the things it promotes or something along those lines. And even then, it would have to be some very particular stuff.

For example, if it promoted an MC who went around cheating on women and deceiving them and rewarded him for doing so. I might rate 1 star for something like that.

MoonLight27

I don't think I have ever given a story a 1-star rating in my life. That means you absolutely hate it. As in, it's complete and utter garbage. I-am-offended-you-had-the-audacity-to-post-it level garbage. I've never come across a story that bad. 1-star means you have no plot, terrible writing, terrible formatting, a terrible cover, terrible grammar, AND you have to insult at least one ethnic minority.

If it's something I feel I won't like because of personal taste (I find a character annoying, angsty romance, cliché cultivation novels), I just move on, not insult the writing itself. And if I give a rating of less than 4.5, I'll write a review saying why.

How about you? What makes you give a story a bad rating? How do you feel about 1-star reviews and what deserves them?
Personally, I don't like giving such a discouraging rating. Instead, I used to move on from that novel. After becoming an author, I realized that how much an author gives to his creation... endless thinking, struggle to write a perfect plot without any grammar mistakes, etc. So now instead of giving a poor rating, I prefer writing a review or directly messaging that author. At least, he/she won't start hating their own novel.:s_wink:
I will suggest you either ignore those ratings, at the end of the day, your novel should be more important to you✌️
Ahh... If the author purposely creates wrong content, then those authors deserve it. Don't consider yourself in that category:giggle:

Aureoled

Personally, the only times i have given out 1 star was because of grammar, NTR or somethin worse. The only time i have given out 1 star with that not being the cause is when i was so frustrated with the mc obviously knowing what will happen to them but not doing shit about it and letting it happen to them like a goody two shoes bruh, youre crying about it now but you let it happen to yourself wtf? If you know whats gonna come stop it? Fucking idiot mc

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
I think I've only ever given one one-star rating in my life, and it was requested from me by the writer herself. She collects one-star ratings.

Apart from that, I don't really see the point. If I don't like what I see in the first few paragraphs, I hit the back button.

Last edited:

StrawberryShampoo

I gave 3 one star reviews in my whole life and all three were too bad. No plot and very very bad English, almost unreadable.:blob_no:
I still felt very guilty about when I was giving them. :blob_pat_sad:
Normally if I don't like a novel I try to judge it objectively and see some good points. I will give 2 or 3 stars.:blob_melt:

Azazel_E

I agree with everything being said. Glad it's not just me.

Eh, I don't mind the 1-stars too much. I have my readers who enjoy the story and that's who we're writing for, right? Just feels like a missed opportunity. I'd love to know how people think the story could be improved (proper criticism is always appreciated). At least let me properly feed off the hate, a rating without a review is just scraps :blob_teary:

_oinkchan

Readers on sh are toxic and karens, so it's normal for even good stories to have many 1 star ratings and overall above 3.4 stars. If you write genderbend stuff you will have more than 4 overall stars for sure since SH is a community which is into genderbend, yaoi, yuri stuff. Pretty sure that you will get above 3.9 stars atleast in other communities.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
Nothing makes me give 1* rating, because I just don't read the stories I don't like.
For me, there is a reader for every story there is out there, so if I don't like it or it isn't my cup of tea. Why should I judge it?
But then again I never have read anything that makes me be like... What is going on?!?! Or grammar so bad that I can't follow.
The back button is my lover and best friend.:blob_aww:

Azazel_E

If its K5rakitan's novel then i will gladly give a 1-star for it
Ah, yes. I believe one man's trash is another man's treasure applies here.
Or perhaps one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
Honestly, I probably never really gave a story 1 star.

My general standards for stories I'd give one star would be ones that have such a catastrophic chain of errors as to make the text unreadable (confusing paragraphs, story jumping around too much, appalling grammar) or when a story devolves from a premise I liked at first into something completely and defectively of lower quality.

Even in cases where a story moves to a direction I don't like or don't expect, I tend to give authors the benefit of the doubt and wait around because I've been won over by stories that diverged from my expectations.

Same with grammar and general technical stuff, I'll usually try to make an effort to read if the story is good regardless of mistakes and the author seems to have a genuine intention to improve their writing skills.

Kitsura

Readers on sh are toxic and karens, so it's normal for even good stories to have many 1 star ratings and overall above 3.4 stars. If you write genderbend stuff you will have more than 4 overall stars for sure since SH is a community which is into genderbend, yaoi, yuri stuff. Pretty sure that you will get above 3.9 stars atleast in other communities.
Oof

I think SH is a lot nicer than other communities tho