What you like

What do you have a soft spot for, what genre, trope, setting, or plot that even if the writing is a bit bad, even if it's a bit predictable you'd still have some fun reading...

Actually, bonus question,

Do you know the difference between what you like and enjoy and what is "good" and done well?

Or do you always think what you like must be "good" and not trash?

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Philosophical novels.
Anything that tries to dabble into the nature of whatever they want to treat, be it a life aspect, of a sexual encounter, of an emotion, of why doing this is wrong or not, it doesn't matter to me.
Unfortunately, you don't find that quite so easily...
So I'll say I love my sci-fi novels. Those are easier to find.

AYM

Farts can kill awareness month
Eating grass and meditating in a dark cave alone for 10,000 years simulator 🍵🫖

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Cultivation novels, while I know a large part of it are trash, there always some scenes in these novels that I like.

Aader

I am too old for this shit.
I am a suckered for Regression second chance stories. Like the Manhwa "This is the Law". I like harems to an extent, so long as the harem isn't formed because the author doesn't know what to do with the girls, and doesn't realize platonic relationships can exist between genders. Political intrigue gets my gears turning, an example being the "Jack Ryan" series and the W. J. Johnstone post apocalypse series.

KuruKinaar

For some reason I enjoy the Harem school type novels? The witches, vampires, werewolves in high school/colleges. Despite a lot of them being copy paste and not written well, I still read them for fun because it truly entertains me. I don't fully like the genre/topic because I don't write it myself or make it a part of my personality, but it's still entertaining.
I do love Dystopian/sci-fi novels, I always gravitate reading them and writing them so that's a true love for the genre. (Same for fiction crime too)

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
What do you have a soft spot for, what genre, trope, setting, or plot that even if the writing is a bit bad, even if it's a bit predictable you'd still have some fun reading...

Actually, bonus question,

Do you know the difference between what you like and enjoy and what is "good" and done well?

Or do you always think what you like must be "good" and not trash?
I have a soft spot for detective stories, and the traditional harem anime/story. As for the bonus question, I like somethings that aren’t well done. For example, NHK ni Youkoso has pretty bad animation the further you get in not to mention that it isn’t the easiest watch/read, harem anime tend not to be good, etc. I also tend to drop dramas and action/adventure stories even if they are high quality. Don’t really know how to end this so… :sweat_smile:

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Well, for the bonus question.
I do know to differentiate what is "good" and what I like.
Even though I enjoy sci-fi, I know when the author is just repeating stuff they have read from the internet or a formula made by other authors. In fact, it IS hard to find a good sci-fi these days. Good were the days when Adams, Asimov, Herbert et al. wrote.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
You are talk to her right now :blob_shade:
She is the only big name polyandry author I know of in these parts, pardner.
I wish those existed. Well, I found some free audiobooks with fraternal polyandry once. The writing style left a lot to be desired.
That's unfortunate. But there is probably a different site for those stories isn't there?

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
Otome, cultivation, quick wear transmigration novels… a lot of what I like is trope filled nonsense. It can be comforting though, to know what you signed up for.

One particular manhua I read, I didn’t even think was that good. It was super silly, not at all emotional, and then out of nowhere a character is killed off. Not even one I remembered, but I almost cried for the MC when he got there too late. Sometimes things don’t have to be great, not even particularly good. What matters to me is that it makes me feel, be that stupid laughter or a broken heart.