Whats a novel you genuinely thought was amazing?

Stratothrax

Had some coffee and thought of some more:

Sixteen ways to defend a walled city by Tom Holt (I would be curious if anyone here has heard of this book, It's got one of the most unique styles of writing I've ever come across.)

Kings of the Wyld (dope mix of medieval fantasy and rock and roll band culture.)

Castle Kingside by Gennon Asche (RR story about a reincarnated doctor written by an actual doctor with tons of medical jargon and lingo, genuinely fascinating and underrated.)

The snake report by wercwercwerc (Reincarnated as an op snake story, very fun read though be prepared for excessive amounts of naval-gazing at times.)

Eleven_M.A.

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria
All You Need Is Kill
The Forever War (which clearly inspired All You Need Is Kill)
The Dark Tower
The Witcher short stories and novels (only in original, though)

I read it 3 times already and always like the ending. Though, I hate the female protagonist so much.
I see what you did here :sneaky:

OneRanter

Southern Unorthodox MaskMaker
Conan's Doyle The Hound of the Baskervilles

Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game
Why this Ranter loves each one of Zafon's books; yet this one it loves the most!

Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose

Francisco Herrera Luque's Boves el Urogallo
I'm sorry I couldn't find it in english! \(>.<)/

Isaac Asimov's The End of Eternity
Because it

\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/
LINKS THE WHOLE ASIMOV SERIEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YEEEEEEEEEEY
\(*o*)\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/​
\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/\(*o*)/
You were warned tho don't be mad at this one ranter D:

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
The first novel that I thought was really amazing would be Soul land 1" Douluo Dalu" because the author was able to create such a simple cultivation system and expand from that.

The second novel would be full marks hidden marriage.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Overlord, I love em daddy bone.

mossplains

Almost anything by Brandon Sanderson: The Reckoners series. The Rithmatist. Warbreaker. The various Mystborn series. The Stormlight Archive. Elantris. The Emperor's Soul.

Almost anything by John Scalzi: The Old Man's War series, Fuzzy Nation, Redshirt, Agent to the Stars.

All the books I've read by Brent Weeks: The trilogy about the assissin, and the Lightbringer series.

Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. It's the Napoleonic Wars with dragons serving as an air force.

Protector of the Small series (I forgot the author's name)

The Elvenborn, Elvenbane, Elvenblood books by authors who's names I've forgotten. Unfortunately one of the authors died so I guess the series will never be completed, but I like it for what is there.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I especially loved when Mat led the Red Hand in battle, and the final confrontation between Rand and the Dark One. The ending was written by Brandon Sanderson, who stood in for Robert Jordan since RJ died before he could finish the series. I never even noticed the change of writers.

I liked the Vampire Academy series and the sequel series Bloodlines. They are some of the better examples of the vampire romance genre in my opinion. They are kind of the opposite of stuff like The Vampire Diaries or Twilight.

The Host by Stephanie Mayer. She did a good job compensating for the faults of Twilight.

I just started The Ranger's Apprentice. It's a fun read. Not amazing in any way, but what I like is that it feels like something close to what I would like to write, and at a level of writing not much more advanced than mine, and each volume is within reach of what I could do in terms of the length. So it makes me feel like being an author that is published in print is within reach, and like I said, I really enjoy it.

I loved the Artemis Foul books as a teenager. I don't know how I'd feel about them if I read them now.

Animporphs is a science fiction series for children. It was my absolute favorite, second only to Harry Potter, and I read it and re-read it over and over again, even into adulthood. I think if you're young, maybe late elementary school or in middle school, it would be a great read. Too bad that the TV adaptation totally sucked. It deserves a show that is aimed at adults with 1 hour episodes that is faithful to the source text, like something Netflix, HBO, or Hulu might do.

Last edited:

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
On this site? Hands down the best thing I've ever read is "The 7th Demon Lord"

As far as other works, the Mistborn Series is absolutely fucking Stellar.
And more than that, the version by Graphic Audio is absolutely fucking phenomenal.
Lay down, close your eyes, and listen as you fall into the world.
They use multiple voice actors/actresses. The most immersive experience ever, for me.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
On this site? Hands down the best thing I've ever read is "The 7th Demon Lord"

As far as other works, the Mistborn Series is absolutely fucking Stellar.
And more than that, the version by Graphic Audio is absolutely fucking phenomenal.
Lay down, close your eyes, and listen as you fall into the world.
They use multiple voice actors/actresses. The most immersive experience ever, for me.

Interestingly, I am one of the few people that read her first extremely unsuccessful novel. It is interesting to note how quickly you can rise from obscurity.

I recently started to read the series The Legends of the First Empire by Michael J. Sullivan.

I am only up to book 4... tho my interest has waned somewhat... Book 1 did have a really good final act. Book 2 and 3 good but nowhere as good. I can't say for the rest of the series but at the very least I felt great delight reading book 1, Age of Myth.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
I saw Count of Monte Cristo mentioned earlier and that's just amazing. Favorite book of all time.
I also love The Foundation Trilogy, The original run of Dune, Little Women, The Way of Kings (not so much the sequels). I really love Vonnegut too, I'd recommend Sirens of Titan to start.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Off the top of my head, I recommend these works for the sheer imaginative power and emotional resonance in these works:

Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age
Daniel H. Wilson's Robopocalypse
Stephen King's 11/22/63
Michael Connelly's The Poet
Mark Greaney's Gunmetal Gray
Ishmael Beah's A Long Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier
Leslie Marmon Silko's Ceremony
Toni Morrison's Beloved

As for postmodernist works, I recommend these works for their zany narrative styles and genre and motif mixing of these stories:

Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter-House Five
Leslie Marmon Silko's Ceremony
Toni Morrison's Beloved
Gordon Henry, Jr.'s The Light People
Sherman Alexie's Flight
Stephen Graham Jones' Ledfeather
Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age
Daniel H. Wilson's Robopocalypse
Susan Power's Sacred Wilderness

And for older genre works, I recommend these works for riffing off ideas and motifs writing techniques and putting them into your stories, as well as just for good-old fashioned enjoyment, b/c these classics are awesome page turners:

Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White
Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Gerald Biss's The Door of the Unreal
Lewis Carroll's Alice books
L. Frank Baum's Oz books

Laeyioun

|Daydreaming Literate Mon~key|
I'm late. I'll state novels which specifically inspired awe in me. Like it really surprised and satisfied me because of the twists, or intellectually.

Reverend Insanity
Transcending the Nine Heavens
The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich
Kingdom's Bloodline
Lord of the Mysteries
My House of Horrors
Youjo Senki
Overlord
Legendary Mechanic
Youkoso Jitsuryoku
Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint
Isaac

ForestDweller

Webnovels:

City of Sin by Misty South

Monarch of Evernight also by Misty South

Release That Witch (I stopped my first readthrough in the 500's of chapters and have since lost my place when I stopped for a time, so I have to restart it)

The Storm King by Warden

Vacant Throne by Tower Curator

Void Domain also by Tower Curator

God In Gold by Rental (Its been on hiatus for years and I bummed out by that. It used to be called Why We Can't Have Nice Things but he changed the title)

Dawnlight Sovereign by YatogamiSakuya (Probably the only of two Xianxia I genuinely enjoyed though admittedly it was my first)

Spirit Immortal by Linodo (the other only xianxia I liked. The first book is downright awful,...the second is okay, but the Book 3 up to 14 is beautiful. He somewhat proved not ALL Xianxia is bad. Somewhat.

Published:
Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Anything by Bernard Cornwell but probably his Warlord Chronicles is my favorite since I'm a King Arthur nerd

Le Morte d'Arthur - written in the 1400's by Sir Thomas Mallory (King Arthur again)

The Storm Before The Storm by Mike Duncan (Because I'm a history nerd as well. Tells about the stuff in the Late Roman Republic that happened before Julius and Pompey became important. Personally, I find the people who lived in the decades before Julius Caesar and Pompey the Great to be more interesting than even they, though they were interesting enough. Gaius Marius and Cornelius Sulla were a much more interesting duo to me than Julius Caesar and Pompey the Great, or even the later trio Octavian, Marc Antony, & Cleopatra

I wonder what made Linodo stop updating here.