When is a 1star rating justified

Justified 1

• Total voters

Leti

Since this kind of thread.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
There are plenty of trolls that will give 1 stars but so long as it's readable and understandable then I don't believe it's justified.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I wish people would justify all their ratings. If you rated me 1* because you're a massive homophobe then fine, but at least have the guts to say so? I won't judge! But if you liked it and slammed 5* down, tell me what you liked! Don't just spunk stars all over then leave.

SailusGebel

I wish people would justify all their ratings. If you rated me 1* because you're a massive homophobe then fine, but at least have the guts to say so? I won't judge! But if you liked it and slammed 5* down, tell me what you liked! Don't just spunk stars all over then leave.
I'm a massive homophobe, can I give you a 1-star? :blob_hide:

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
I generally don't rate novels, so in a way.. I have been rating a lot of people i have read zero stars...

Esbe.Esi

There is no point in rating the story down, even genuinely bad one.

On Scribble Hub, ratings are rare and far between. Clicking away, ignoring and not following it is entirely sufficient in keeping it out of the Trending. No one filters them by rating either. It's just being mean, for no reason, not helping anyone to find the better stories. Filters are simply not reliable, and it is better to check by genre. Good stories may even lack rating completely since there is fewer reviewers going around.

On Royal Road, one bad rating would forever destroy the story's chance to receive any other feedback, or readers, since the system is far more competitive, and far more unforgiving. They can't be removed, even after issue that caused the low rating is fixed, but can destroy everything in the instant preventing it ever be corrected. It also creates a constant infighting where downvotes spread the misery around by downvoting others, eventually reaching the story you like too.
My personal policy on SH is to rate 5 if I really like it, and do nothing if I don't.

On Royal Road, I five star everything, even stories I hate. I used to rate more realistically, but then I learned how toxic the RR system can be, so all five. Only stories that have rating lower than 5 are those who I reviewed long time ago in the past and damage is already done. No new story should receive low rating from me there.

Last edited:

Aiyoki

Not understandable or readable would make it very hard for me to continue reading or even finish the story. If it's that bad I "might" give a 1-star rating, but I'd likely also comment or leave a constructive review as to why I left the 1-star rating. I would also provide a little feedback on how the story could be improved in a way that would warrant me improving the rating I gave it.

My own story currently has three 1-star ratings and a single 1-star review. Thing is the 1-star review was dropped on me by what appears to be a troll who has only ever given 1-star ratings/reviews on SH. Their review is neither intuitive to the nature of the story I'm trying to tell, nor does it provide any constructive criticism.

The three 1-star ratings also don't provide any context and my writing skill level is far from being bad so all I can assume is that those ratings were given by people who are likely just trying to troll.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
There is no "always justified" option -_-

It's only never justified in K5's case, but for everyone else it's always justified. There is no rating standard on SH, therefore people can vote however they want. Reasons for 1 star rating can be due, but not limited to:

1. Not liking the Author's Screen name.
2. Having a bad day.
3. Mercury in retrograde.
4. Easter Sunday.
5. Sports team losing.
6. Liking Country Music.
7. Someone breaking into their house, accessing their SH account and giving a 1 star rating randomly.

I'm just saying, when there are no actual standards for rating, every rating is 'justified,' and it's simply how good you are at reading the audience at SH. It has nothing to do with how good your writing actually is, because really good writers will probably go pro over hoping a small group of subscribers give them money on Patreon while posting their work free on an amateur writing site.

Skyfall

There is no "always justified" option -_-

It's only never justified in K5's case, but for everyone else it's always justified. There is no rating standard on SH, therefore people can vote however they want. Reasons for 1 star rating can be due, but not limited to:

1. Not liking the Author's Screen name.
2. Having a bad day.
3. Mercury in retrograde.
4. Easter Sunday.
5. Sports team losing.
6. Liking Country Music.
7. Someone breaking into their house, accessing their SH account and giving a 1 star rating randomly.

I'm just saying, when there are no actual standards for rating, every rating is 'justified,' and it's simply how good you are at reading the audience at SH. It has nothing to do with how good your writing actually is, because really good writers will probably go pro over hoping a small group of subscribers give them money on Patreon while posting their work free on an amateur writing site.
Exactly.

SailusGebel

Now that I think about it, that's probably the real story of how dinosaurs went extinct. One of the diplodocus probably dissed Bartun's story, in return Bartun burned him alive but the fire accidentaly spread.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Personally, I don't think the amount of time an author spends considering feedback should be equal to the amount of time that the reader puts into it.

How long does it take to click a button?

I imagine the 1 star everyone gets with no explanation is from some spoiled cat that is sitting at a keyboard pawing it randomly. Cats are jerks like that. I got at least 2 of them. One cat is a tortoiseshell cat because I read somewhere those kinds of cats are extra mean. The other cat is a Siamese cat. I have it on good authority(a cocker spaniel) that two of these cats were caught plotting to steal milk from a baby when the humans were not watching.