When is a 1star rating justified

Justified 1

• Total voters

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
When you're rating my stories. Otherwise, it's not allowed.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
How will you react after getting your second 1-star rating today? :blob_hmm_two:
Well, I don't know. Probably be down for a while until I get over it, but I will continue writing nonetheless.

But if I get another 1 star I'll know it was you, and since I'm an amateur writer, I will immortalize you in my story in a very unflattering way. :blob_neutral:
Now that I think about it, that's probably the real story of how dinosaurs went extinct. One of the diplodocus probably dissed Bartun's story, in return Bartun burned him alive but the fire accidentaly spread.
He had it coming! He was really bigoted against mammals, but I didn't mean to cause all that destruction. Now I'm a very lonely dinosaur. :blob_pat_sad:

Jet

It's sad that you received a 1, it's even sadder that you let it get to you to such a degree... The poll is plain idiotic, so I will not vote. There is only one way I see when the rating could be called universally justified. You'd need to vote a lot first. And come from the same sensible system when voting too. When and only when, after hundreds, thousands of ratings given, your rating without a review might gain credibility in the eyes of others. On the other hand, why must anyone justify anything to you? It's justified for the one who voted. It's their burden to carry first.

I don't vote on this site, becoz ratings are busted. Do you vote well yourself? Giving 5s to everything in sight is not proper voting by far x_X. There is NOTHING unheard about 1s. Heck, I know ppl who gave The Shawshank redemption a 1 lol. Some can even explain why really well. But it's a wrong rating not because it was explained or not, but because their system has been flawed from the start.

Why would you rate something as 1 for some commas missed, misspelt words, deeming it unreadable, etc, etc? It's a combination of many factors, not just one. Both subjective and objective facets coming into play. With your cherished rating to be born in between. I consider The Critique of Pure Reason unreadable. But why would I rate it as 1? Wtf? First of all, I should probably finish the book to rate it. Second, what does it matter if it's written in a convoluted manner or the subject is nearly impossible to comprehend? It's not like every book was written for you. Most famous books are really hard to read. Take Ulysses or Walden, for example.

1/10 = a horrible, completely stillborn piece of art. It ought to be both executed horribly and have a disgusting idea behind it. Without ANY pluses to speak of. It's not easy to find something like that in general. Among well-established classics where people put a lot of effort in, to begin with.

Last edited:
Now as for your case, it's okay to vent. Take a break, take a deep breath, and go back whenever you're ready. Sometimes, 1* here is because someone is trolling (its height was way back in October 2020 to January 2021), or it's not their cup of tea and they missed out reading the tags (or just plain read it out of curiosity and they felt betrayed). In most cases, it's a 'him' problem.
Thank you, I needed this.
It's sad that you received a 1, it's even sadder that you let it get to you to such a degree... The poll is plain idiotic, so I will not vote. There is only one way I see when the rating could be called universally justified. You'd need to vote a lot first. And come from the same sensible system when voting too. When and only when, after hundreds, thousands of ratings given, your rating without a review might gain credibility in the eyes of others. On the other hand, why must anyone justify anything to you? It's justified for the one who voted. It's their burden to carry first.

I don't vote on this site, becoz ratings are busted. Do you vote well yourself? Giving 5s to everything in sight is not proper voting by far x_X. There is NOTHING unheard about 1s. Heck, I know ppl who gave The Shawshank redemption a 1 lol. Some can even explain why really well. But it's a wrong rating not because it was explained or not, but because their system has been flawed from the start.

Why would you rate something as 1 for some commas missed, misspelt words, deeming it unreadable, etc, etc? It's a combination of many factors, not just one. Both subjective and objective facets coming into play. With your cherished rating to be born in between. I consider The Critique of Pure Reason unreadable. But why would I rate it as 1? Wtf? First of all, I should probably finish the book to rate it. Second, what does it matter if it's written in a convoluted manner or the subject is nearly impossible to comprehend? It's not like every book was written for you. Most famous books are really hard to read. Take Ulysses or Walden, for example.

1/10 = a horrible, completely stillborn piece of art. It ought to be both executed horribly and have a disgusting idea behind it. Without ANY pluses to speak of. It's not easy to find something like that in general. Among well-established classics where people put a lot of effort in, to begin with.
Yeah XD my bad what an idiot poll it's mostly made with surging emotions, only have I realized how edgy and shitty it was after I woke up from my sleep. Ya ur speaking fax mister.
Everyone get 1-star ratings, and it doesn't matter whether they are justified or not. I would say you should grow a thicker skin. Does the novel that inspired you have 1-star ratings? Does the author continue writing it\finished it? If you can answer both questions with yes, you should take inspiration from that.
When did u become a motivational speaker 😂

J_Chemist

If the writing is an absolute tragedy, it's getting a 1 star. Generally, though, I can rarely justify anything lower than 2.5 or 3 stars as most people at least have good ideas.

But if the characters suck, the plot sucks, the grammar sucks, the story is illegible, and I absolutely wish the writer to never pick up a pen again- then it's getting a 1 star. Most of the time, however, I never make it far enough to even give the 1 star rating because I give up on the writer and their bloodline prior to getting the motivation to give them the satisfaction of a rating in the first place.

Unless you're @K5Rakitan . She's the special case where the 1 star is requested.

RynnTheTired

Pathological Sleepyhead
I just got my first 1-star rating yesterday and it sucks. :confused:

Will that deter me from keep writing? No sir!
I'm suspicious that a troll went through and gave 1-star ratings to everybody who posted their story on TheTrinary's feedback thread. I got my first one yesterday, too. So yeah, don't pay too much attention to it.

Personally, I think I'd only give a 1-star rating if something is completely unreadable. Like, MTL gibberish level unreadable. But you can generally tell from the description if something's going to be that bad, so in most cases, I just won't try to read it in the first place.

Narcissistic_loser

Aiming to be a better person.
I'm suspicious that a troll went through and gave 1-star ratings to everybody who posted their story on TheTrinary's feedback thread. I got my first one yesterday, too. So yeah, don't pay too much attention to it.

Personally, I think I'd only give a 1-star rating if something is completely unreadable. Like, MTL gibberish level unreadable. But you can generally tell from the description if something's going to be that bad, so in most cases, I just won't try to read it in the first place.
No wonder, I also got one there and it was also my first 1R. When I requested to let him analyse it.

Erys

Her Highness
I finally get my first 1-star after my other first 1-star get removed by the mod! No complain there!

Now I have all star ratings in my story! That's something! Thank you @SailusGebel

SailusGebel

Is it possible to learn this power?

Oreo

Don't worry too much about them. Most people are fully aware that if you don't like a story, it doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Personally, I even gave books I dropped 4-stars or more because the quality was there and well above average.

If you rate something her 5 stars, doesn't that mean all these aspects have to be perfect? None of us was born perfect, so why should our work be perfect? I did give 5-star ratings to stories I like, but that's because I like them.

The same applies to 1-star ratings. if people really hate a story, they will rate it 1-stars regardless of the quality.

Sure, there are trolls who just want to smack anyone who stumbles upon trending, but they are far outnumbered. My advice? Think of it like this:
If someone gives you this rating, doesn't that mean they read your story? Isn't that what we all want in the end?

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I finally get my first 1-star after my other first 1-star get removed by the mod! No complain there!

Now I have all star ratings in my story! That's something! Thank you @SailusGebel
I didn't know that was possible