Which kind of character is your favourite?

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
I DO have a distaste for wimpy, pathetic characters, though.

Wimpy and pathetic eh? Where do you draw that line? Body types and capabilities, or mannerisms? Like, if a scrawny person stood up to a Khornate berserker

1644512956362.png

with nothing but a stick and held him off for 2 seconds, does his bravery vindicate him in your eyes?

Last edited:

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
I like the character's actions rather than the character's archetype, or their personalities, and traits. You can have your typical X character that is completely average or normal, that then is forced to do X stuff in order to survive. It helps relate to the character better than just "being" this or that because characters thrown into extreme situations tend to behave "out of character", especially those with strong morals that suddenly find themselves in a life or death situation.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Wimpy and pathetic eh? Where do you draw that line? Body types and capabilities or mannerisms? Like, if a scrawny person stood up to a Khornate berserker

with nothing but a stick and held him off for 2 seconds, does his bravery vindicate him in your eyes?
mostly mannerism, though the line is drawn pretty wide and vague. if you KNOW you're gonna lose a fight and you escape, I wouldn't blame you. that's a tactical retreat. it's a pussy move, yes, but it ensures another day of survival. what I meant by wimpy is a guy who wouldn't stand up for himself at all. I'm not talking about some quiet fighter holding back, I'm talking about some weak coward whose personality is in an oros borous with his actions. he willingly gets himself fucked up and that in turns fuels his further draining personality, type shit. i get that in some cases, it serves to reinforce certain themes in a story but don't expect that character to earn big points with me from the beginning.

in this particular scenario, if there were two equally scrawny kids facing this guy and one of them decides to bail while the other stays behind to fight to the death, I wouldn't fault either two. rationality and bravery are good traits to have. but if both of them were to die and I could only buy flowers for one, I'll be dropping them onto the grave of the latter scrawny kid.

just saying.

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
mostly mannerism, though the line is drawn pretty wide and vague. if you KNOW you're gonna lose a fight and you escape, I wouldn't blame you. that's a tactical retreat. it's a pussy move, yes, but it ensures another day of survival. what I meant by wimpy is a guy who wouldn't stand up for himself at all. I'm not talking about some quiet fighter holding back, I'm talking about some weak coward whose personality is in an oros borous with his actions. he willingly gets himself fucked up and that in turns fuels his further draining personality, type shit. i get that in some cases, it serves to reinforce certain themes in a story but don't expect that character to earn big points with me from the beginning.

in this particular scenario, if there were two equally scrawny kids facing this guy and one of them decides to bail while the other stays behind to fight to the death, I wouldn't fault either two. rationality and bravery are good traits to have. but if both of them were to die and I could only buy flowers for one, I'll be dropping them onto the grave of the latter scrawny kid.

just saying.

Makes sense. The ouroboros bit is intreasting though, we see shit like that in real life, some people can't avoid circular "failures" of character due to stuff like anxiety disorder or past trauma, and those stories are rather interesting for me when they explore the inner worlds of the victims, on the other hand, there's people with victim complexes or just bad writers who force their characters to hug a cactus and cry out in pain for gratuitous reasons, or to justify horrible actions down the line ( I'm looking at you Mr. "let myself get tortured again so I can take revenge on the people who tormented me in a bad future that I could have changed" Keyaru.)

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
there's people with victim complexes or just bad writers who force their characters to hug a cactus and cry out in pain for gratuitous reasons, or to justify horrible actions down the line ( I'm looking at you Mr. "let myself get tortured again so I can take revenge on the people who tormented me in a bad future that I could have changed" Keyaru.)
i quite liked that one.

for one, it's interesting when you look at it with an extra layer of perspective where Keyaru got so utterly broken that he's no longer capable of rational thinking, and that the rest of the story is just his syndrome spreading across absolutely everywhere he steps onto. he used to have to """heal""" his women to make them obey him. now? he just corrupts them with the sweet taste of revenge and now they're attached to him. like I said, an ouroboros. i wouldn't consider him wimpy, though. at least he acts as he desires, evil or not.

two, because it's hot chicks cowering down to suck your dick. it appeals to me, mindbreak or not. it speaks to me on a primitive level, you feel me?

Deeprotsorcerer

Skeletal Eromancer
i quite liked that one.

for one, it's interesting when you look at it with an extra layer of perspective where Keyaru got so utterly broken that he's no longer capable of rational thinking, and that the rest of the story is just his syndrome spreading across absolutely everywhere he steps onto. he used to have to """heal""" his women to make them obey him. now? he just corrupts them with the sweet taste of revenge and now they're attached to him. like I said, an ouroboros. i wouldn't consider him wimpy, though. at least he acts as he desires, evil or not.

two, because it's hot chicks cowering down to suck your dick. it appeals to me, mindbreak or not. it speaks to me on a primitive level, you feel me?
I see. I see. Even if his character is wicked and deplorable, his actions are fun to watch. Basically The Count of Monte Cristo without the redemption arc.

longer

Balls
I absolutely love anti-heroes or villains that are charming and generally "nice", doesn't matter if it's a façade or genuine. This probably stems from my main issue of how so many anti-heroes are just assholes that actively make their own job harder by being unlikeable. Because it makes so much more sense to take the path of least resistance and not antagonize potential allies. Keep in mind that being "nice" doesn't mean no terrorism or mass murder, it just means that the character will not resort to heavy handed violence or general asshole behavior if the situation allows it.

Examples would be Lelouch, pre-torture Griffiths, and Hans from inglorious bastards.

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
Big boys, with small little animals