Which of these titles sounds most interesting.

Most interesting title?

• I was supposed to design a system, but I ended up recreating anime instead

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I have to destroy the world to save it, but these damn hero’s keep getting in the way

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I tried to learn how to dance, but ended up toppling an empire instead

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Neglecting my duties as the god of wisdom

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • A villain for hire

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Isekaied into my own life, adventures in the psychic domain

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Trying to save the world, but my inane backstory keeps undercutting the plot

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • This hero academy doesn’t understand right from wrong

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

LiteraryWho

This is just a list of LN style titles that would catch my interest as a reader, but which don't entice me at all as a writer. I put them in convenient poll form, so people can get an idea of which one might be popular (also, because it sounded more fun than just posting them).

Here are my own takes on each title, in the form of a single paragraph expanding on each idea, and spoilered so as not to take up too much space.

I was supposed to design a system, but I ended up recreating anime instead.
The exact inane thing doesn’t matter, so long as it is sufficiently silly. This is the story of a person who is reincarnated into a fantasy world with the purpose of developing a video game like system for it on behalf of the gods. The MC is (obviously) not very enthusiastic about this, and decides to faff about instead.

I have to destroy the world to save it, but these damn hero’s keep getting in the way.
This is somewhat the inverse of the previous idea. Someone in a fantasy world has to remove the System from it, because it is defective and will eventually destroy the world. The people living there do not understand this, and keep causing problems for the MC, thinking they are dealing with a megalomaniacal villain.

I tried to learn how to dance, but ended up toppling an empire instead.
Basically what it says on the tin. A character in a dystopian world free from dancing/most other forms of artistic expression, discovers a recording of some people dancing in an old ruin/junkyard. They practice in secret, then introduce it to the populous. The backlash sparks a rebellion, and things proceed in the usual fashion. A bit YA, but might be fun regardless.

Neglecting my duties as the god of wisdom.
The divine manifestation of wisdom gets tired of the foolish populous of their world, so they decide to take a vacation, i.e. they incarnate into the world as a vagrant bum, trying to do nothing of importance. An opportunistic and villainous person notes their abdication, and tries to usurp the position, causing increasingly dire problems for the world and the god, before things end in a climactic battle between the god and the usurper.

A villain for hire.
A morally neutral, but generally competent character is induced to take the role of villain in a world, either explicitly invited, or simply to fill a power vacuum. They value pragmatism above idealism, and so they don’t adhere to some strict code of behavior, either heroic of villainous. They exist (or are invited into) in a superhero world, though they don’t necessarily have the greatest power set, favoring the use of wit and manipulation.

Isekaied into my own life, adventures in the psychic domain.
Someone hits a truck while at a full sprint, knocking themselves out. They don’t die, but are nevertheless prematurely reincarnated, only as a psychic construct in their own mind. The real them goes on living, while the MC tries to resolve their inner conflicts by doing battle with metaphorical constructs of their inner demons.

Trying to save the world, but my inane backstory keeps undercutting the plot.
The MC is a try-hard wannabe cool guy from a terminally silly place. They flee their home on a quest for a normal place that takes things seriously, so they can play the hero, but people from their old life keep showing up and solving things anticlimactically, or else reducing epic battles of will to very silly contests, like insisting that some conflict be resolved in favor of the person who wins a children’s card game.

This hero academy doesn’t understand right from wrong.
A character is unable to get into a prestigious academy for heroes, so they apply to a sketchy community college instead. The sketchy school goes about in a morally grey way at best, and no one there besides the MC seems to appreciate that things don’t really work the way the people there seem to think they do. It is left as an exercise for the writer to decide if the school is actually secretly villainous, or just very stupid.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
I will read Villain for Hire if it's a Dick Dastardly type of villain.

D

Deleted member 113259

A villain for hire is a title that doesn't give too much away while still conveying a rough outline of the protagonist, making it the only one that has even a semblance of identity though I'm biased.

If I'm not being biased the dancing one also meets this criteria, and might actually sound more interesting.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
1. Weeb
2. Usual JP Crap
3. ??? (an eyecatcher)
4. Huh. Meh.
5. Generic
6. Sounds psychedelic.
7. Sounds like a gag/ comedy.
8. Sounds like a chinese fuck-up. Or a work of misunderstanding.

Chrono157

I chose Trying to Save the World, but my Insane Backstory Keeps Undercutting the Plot because I am interested in how the ways this could be executed.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
This is just a list of LN style titles that would catch my interest as a reader, but which don't entice me at all as a writer. I put them in convenient poll form, so people can get an idea of which one might be popular (also, because it sounded more fun than just posting them).

Here are my own takes on each title, in the form of a single paragraph expanding on each idea, and spoilered so as not to take up too much space.

I was supposed to design a system, but I ended up recreating anime instead.
The exact inane thing doesn’t matter, so long as it is sufficiently silly. This is the story of a person who is reincarnated into a fantasy world with the purpose of developing a video game like system for it on behalf of the gods. The MC is (obviously) not very enthusiastic about this, and decides to faff about instead.

I have to destroy the world to save it, but these damn hero’s keep getting in the way.
This is somewhat the inverse of the previous idea. Someone in a fantasy world has to remove the System from it, because it is defective and will eventually destroy the world. The people living there do not understand this, and keep causing problems for the MC, thinking they are dealing with a megalomaniacal villain.

I tried to learn how to dance, but ended up toppling an empire instead.
Basically what it says on the tin. A character in a dystopian world free from dancing/most other forms of artistic expression, discovers a recording of some people dancing in an old ruin/junkyard. They practice in secret, then introduce it to the populous. The backlash sparks a rebellion, and things proceed in the usual fashion. A bit YA, but might be fun regardless.

Neglecting my duties as the god of wisdom.
The divine manifestation of wisdom gets tired of the foolish populous of their world, so they decide to take a vacation, i.e. they incarnate into the world as a vagrant bum, trying to do nothing of importance. An opportunistic and villainous person notes their abdication, and tries to usurp the position, causing increasingly dire problems for the world and the god, before things end in a climactic battle between the god and the usurper.

A villain for hire.
A morally neutral, but generally competent character is induced to take the role of villain in a world, either explicitly invited, or simply to fill a power vacuum. They value pragmatism above idealism, and so they don’t adhere to some strict code of behavior, either heroic of villainous. They exist (or are invited into) in a superhero world, though they don’t necessarily have the greatest power set, favoring the use of wit and manipulation.

Isekaied into my own life, adventures in the psychic domain.
Someone hits a truck while at a full sprint, knocking themselves out. They don’t die, but are nevertheless prematurely reincarnated, only as a psychic construct in their own mind. The real them goes on living, while the MC tries to resolve their inner conflicts by doing battle with metaphorical constructs of their inner demons.

Trying to save the world, but my inane backstory keeps undercutting the plot.
The MC is a try-hard wannabe cool guy from a terminally silly place. They flee their home on a quest for a normal place that takes things seriously, so they can play the hero, but people from their old life keep showing up and solving things anticlimactically, or else reducing epic battles of will to very silly contests, like insisting that some conflict be resolved in favor of the person who wins a children’s card game.

A character is unable to get into a prestigious academy for heroes, so they apply to a sketchy community college instead. The sketchy school goes about in a morally grey way at best, and no one there besides the MC seems to appreciate that things don’t really work the way the people there seem to think they do. It is left as an exercise for the writer to decide if the school is actually secretly villainous, or just very stupid.
This is not a writing prompt. Please post your thread where it is suitable to be posted. If you do not know what a writing prompt is, read the stickied thread.

Lodur

Eight virgin
It's very similar to

Obviously, @Domoviye 's novel is a comedy.

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
You have to think of the readers, most of them are poisoned by Tik Tok or Youtube shorts. Their attention span is short, so keep it short is the best way to gain traction.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I tried to learn how to dance, but ended up toppling an empire instead
That one seems the most interesting IMO
Agreed. How does dance topple an empire? Cult of faith perhaps?
This is not a writing prompt. Please post your thread where it is suitable to be posted. If you do not know what a writing prompt is, read the stickied thread.
Isn't this in Discussions and Writing Tips?
A writing prompt is not necessary...

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
A villain for hire is a title that doesn't give too much away while still conveying a rough outline of the protagonist, making it the only one that has even a semblance of identity though I'm biased.

If I'm not being biased the dancing one also meets this criteria, and might actually sound more interesting.
This actually the name of a Webtoon

J_Chemist

Villain for Hire is probably the only one I'd read. The others come across as generic wish-fulfillment novels or typical weebnovels that I try to avoid most of the time. The dancing one caught me off guard but I still wouldn't read it. Not with that title.

laccoff_mawning

I'm going to go through all of them and give my take as a reader ( with a bit of writer thoughts mixed in)

Word of warning: I mainly like comedies and don't like heavy drama, hence the titles that sound more comical will be upvoted in my eyes with great bias.

1. I was supposed to design a system, but I ended up recreating anime instead
The main dislike have with this one is that I don't see the connection between systems and anime. It sounds like it's meant to be a comedy, but without seeing a link between system and anime I would assume its not properly thought out, and hence more illogical than funny.

2. I have to destroy the world to save it, but these damn hero’s keep getting in the way
Somewhat interesting, but I don't like profanity. If profanity appears in the title, I would assume it would appear a lot in the story, and that would be off-putting for me.

3.I tried to learn how to dance, but ended up toppling an empire instead
Same good sides as 1, and same problem with 1. There is no correlation between dancing and toppling empires, making it sound illogical rather than funny.

4.Neglecting my duties as the god of wisdom
This is probably my least favorite title. "neglecting my duties" makes it sound like the mc is lazy and intolerable, and that paired with the mc being "the god of wisdom" just doesn't sit well with me. The story is about a lazy, intolerable guy who is also meant to be some amazing intellegent being?

5. A villain for hire
I mainly like comedies and this doesn't sound like a comedy, so I'm somewhat bias against this one purely for that. My main dislike about this title is it doesn't really tell me what the story is about (although if you had a good synopsis I suppose that would fix it), and it would require a good synopsis to pull me in. As I said, this might just be because of genre preference.

6. Isekaied into my own life, adventures in the psychic domain
I don't know whats mean't to be happening in this story. Doesn't seem very tangible. Although again, this may be due to my bias for comedy.

7.Trying to save the world, but my inane backstory keeps undercutting the plot
My main problem here is the usage of "backstory" and "plot" in the title. Is this a isekai/reincarnation into story/game world novel? Overall its my fav title out of the bunch, but I think it should be more slightly explicit if its an isekai or not. For example, if its an isekai into a game, you could change the title slightly so its "Trying to Save the Game-World, but my Inane Backstory Keeps Undercutting the Plot". If it was a novel, maybe you could have "Trying to get the Best Happy Ending, but my Inane Backstory Keeps Undercutting the Plot" or something like that.

8.This hero academy doesn’t understand right from wrong
I like the style of this as a title, but not sure I would like the content behind it. I don't like "stupid" worldbuilding, where everyone in the world is stupid/evil. Take, for example, wise man's grandchild (or whatever its called). It's meant to be a comedy, but the "comedy" comes at the expense of ruining the worldbuilding and every character. The title of this one makes it sound like it's going to be a tough read because it sounds like every character is going to be frustrating.