Who’s in the medical field here?

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
It may seem dumb posting on here but why not? There’s people with Computer science degrees so why not medical?

so the situation is: I’m going to my first duty station in about two months and I need a couple of book recommendations for things like A&P, common diseases, physical examinations and medications.

links to websites would help to. I want to get as many references as I can so I can be the best I can be.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
It may seem dumb posting on here but why not? There’s people with Computer science degrees so why not medical?
I'm halfway through a Bachelors' in Medicine
Anatomy go Gray's Anatomy - Henry Gray (best book IMO), Physiology go Guyton and Hall
Semiology (physical examinations) I like Porto & Porto, not sure whether it has an english version tho. If it hasn't take Stoichescu
Common diseases depends on where you are stationed, focus on STDs, Arboviruses, flu-like diseases, cholerae, diphtheriae and all kinds of hep.
Medical Pharmacology and Therapeutics by Waller is... acceptable, but no books on this topic are easy pills to swallow.

Just use WebMD and Medscape for most referencing

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
What’s that?
so you take whatever you have at how and start digging and cutting at your flesh in ways to make it grow in a certain way, fixed my toe nail this way

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
But honesltly, 99% of this is unnecessary for what you are doing and you are better off with studying the basics of communicable diseases like those I mentioned and how to not die from taking too much acetaminophen
so you take whatever you have at how and start digging and cutting at your flesh in ways to make it grow in a certain way, fixed my toe nail this way
sounds like pedicure with extra steps

super straight male & the opposite sex of female
But honesltly, 99% of this is unnecessary for what you are doing and you are better off with studying the basics of communicable diseases like those I mentioned and how to not die from taking too much acetaminophen

sounds like pedicure with extra steps
also no, high chance of infection, puss everywhere, also flesh decay

longer

Balls
If I can google search my homework then you can google search most health matters. Consult a professional if things don't change.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
Bruh, just... submerge in hot water, wash with some clorhexidine very well, do not rinse the clorhex, and use some tools that have been let to drown in alcohol for like half an hour.

Never failed me

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I took a minor in psychology, my human development professor showed "The Business of Being Born" to the class, and apparently that taught me more about Pitocin than the people on my medical team during labor knew. Here's the long version on my rant about Pitocin and my personal experience with it:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

so the situation is: I’m going to my first duty station in about two months and I need a couple of book recommendations for things like A&P, common diseases, physical examinations and medications.

links to websites would help to. I want to get as many references as I can so I can be the best I can be.
Merck Manual is always good to have around. Easy to find too. Every doctor would have a copy (even if it's not the latest edition) of Merck Manual in their shelf.

Also watch those medical videos by real doctors on youtube if you can have access to internet. Some teach valuable skills. You can buy the suture training kit online. Ai-chan bought one for Ai-chan's nephew who's on the fence between going to medschool or being a marine biologist.

Last edited:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Fucking hell that sounds painful.

I'm pretty sure that a visit to the doc is a lot better than self surgery.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

I play arknights.thatcountsmeinright?

Attachments

• A3CBEC3D-0478-4430-846C-BA321938D246.jpeg
    A3CBEC3D-0478-4430-846C-BA321938D246.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 35

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Just call me Doctor Lloyd. PHD in woman's studies.
i got the same degree off a ten minute test like three years ago.
Pleased to meet a fellow Doctor around here
it is extremely painful
things said by my college girlfriend after our third date.
I didn't get a fourth, obviously. Some people just don't appreciate listening to three hours of me explaining Warhammer's lore.
Fucking hell that sounds painful.

I'm pretty sure that a visit to the doc is a lot better than self surgery.
not if you're Mexican.
"fucking asshole, you took me to the doc and now i got cancer."

Last edited:

SakeVision

Sama/kisama

duty station? like the military? or are you a doctor?

If the latter, shouldn't you have learned these things at the university?

TotallyHuman

Merck Manual is always good to have around. Easy to find too. Every doctor would have a copy (even if it's not the latest edition) of Merck Manual in their shelf.

Also watch those medical videos by real doctors on youtube if you can have access to internet. Some teach valuable skills. You can buy the suture training kit online. Ai-chan bought one for Ai-chan's nephew who's on the fence between going to medschool or being a marine biologist.
There_are_many_benefits_to_being_a_marine_biologist.png

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
duty station? like the military? or are you a doctor?

If the latter, shouldn't you have learned these things at the university?
Military. I’m a 68W or combat medic
The stuff we learn in less than 4 months don’t necessarily stick when you’re not actively doing it (I.e. the EMT portion of the school).

The latter part which is called Whiskey phase is easy since it’s more hands on but also hard because you gotta consider the conditions in which your performing your care such as
-are you under enemy fire?
-does this injury result in possibly other injuries?

I’m a visual learner when it comes to injuries so while I can get behind the method of it, it won’t stick unless I actually saw it.

I’m basically trying to get my learning affairs in order so that when I finally get to my duty station which is Fort Hood, I at least have a few things to study in my free time.