Who wants to write a big shared universe story with me

shadow_slayer

I really want to write a big shared universe story with a bunch of authors all contributing to the story of the world with their own books. who wants to join me?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I would be all for it but I have yet to see anyone on this site, or any other, be able to pull it off. Most dissolve into discord battles and sometimes broken friendships between authors. You'll have to find people who are willing to write consistently and work together with people rather than being at odds. Something that is incredibly difficult to find amongst webnovel authors.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
I have no clue what the shared world would even be about, and I can barely get my own shit out on time.

Depending in what it is I might be able to lend a hand in worldbuilding, etc, but yeah, I am, uh, markedly different than a LOT of people in terms of taste, priority, and life experience.

Actually... I'll start there, as I imagine a lot of people want to know: do you have any idea what genres/tech level/scope of world/etc you want?

KrakenRiderEmma

I’m doing this in a small way with just my stories plus one more, Parturient, by another author (The Wolf Among the Woods). It helped that she read most of the first big novel and then started to have her own complementary but different ideas. Having a bunch of material to build off is good. We have most of the world-building info, plus spoilers etc, in a shared wiki and have hashed out details to make sure we’re not overlapping or contradicting each other.

Like any collaboration it’s mostly about having the right people, expectations and structure. An open project that anyone can join is a nice idea but the people part is random! So the structure and defined roles/expectations have to carry way more of the burden of quality, or it’ll fall apart pretty quickly.

That said, I do know some people who managed to redraw all of Akira with Simpsons characters, a different comic artist doing each page, a ton of people involved. And it worked! Of course, the task and expectations and limits were really defined, and it was still a ton of work.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I really want to write a big shared universe story with a bunch of authors all contributing to the story of the world with their own books. who wants to join me?
Get a discord server so you can better organize this stuff

WaterFish

I like your enthusiasm. There’s this Discord I’m on with a bunch of people trying to get writers, editors, Artists, etc together to create joint projects. We’re still working on the kinks with how things work as of now, but you might find what you’re looking for if you have the drive and the ability to bring people together.

The latter being more an acquired skill than a talent. Sometimes, there are people who want to collaborate… but don’t have the state of mind to do anything. Passively giving ideas and not getting anything done.

They are there initially, but slowly walk away since they lose enthusiasm and investment since no one acts like they want to finish the project. That this state of stagnant ease and laziness can continue until they spark some inspiration.

Things normally don’t work out that way.

When the participants lose interest, the project dies right then and there. If disorganised, opinions will collide and no one will agree on anything. Either that, or they will keep ‘politely’ having opinions that won’t clash with others, but are boring to hear.

People lose heart fast.

The Discord is called Studio Saeroku.

I won’t leave a link, because if you have understood what was just said. You don’t need one.
I’m doing this in a small way with just my stories plus one more, Parturient, by another author (The Wolf Among the Woods). It helped that she read most of the first big novel and then started to have her own complementary but different ideas. Having a bunch of material to build off is good. We have most of the world-building info, plus spoilers etc, in a shared wiki and have hashed out details to make sure we’re not overlapping or contradicting each other.

Like any collaboration it’s mostly about having the right people, expectations and structure. An open project that anyone can join is a nice idea but the people part is random! So the structure and defined roles/expectations have to carry way more of the burden of quality, or it’ll fall apart pretty quickly.

That said, I do know some people who managed to redraw all of Akira with Simpsons characters, a different comic artist doing each page, a ton of people involved. And it worked! Of course, the task and expectations and limits were really defined, and it was still a ton of work.
I’m seconding this comment. Unstructured and psssive teams get nothing done in the end.

Some people don’t understand that it’s not that this is hard, it’s just that there isn’t enough people with both passion and social skills mixed together. Either one or the other usually exists.

People have even created Visual Novels by banding random people together. We ScribbleHub users should definitely be able to find our comrades in imagination if we try.

It depends on how much personal effort you put in, and the right people to take on the task.

Last edited:

shadow_slayer

What I mean is you guys write books on your own using my world as a base and then You guys can choose to do crossovers and other things like that by contacting me (heads up I don't use discord so you'll have to message me true scribblehubs message system) the crossover will probably be only a chapter long as that all the motivation i have for crossovers.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Sounds fun, but I don't have time for that.

melchi

What is a custom title?
People have even created Visual Novels by banding random people together. We ScribbleHub users should definitely be able to find our comrades in imagination if we try.

It depends on how much personal effort you put in, and the right people to take on the task.
This would be easier with a VN. If there is one master repo then pull requests can be dispo'd by the repo owner. At least there is a lead in such a project. With just a group getting together to collaborate with no rules it likely is just a recipe for conflict. No scope, no rules, no peer review, no area where one person's area ends and another's begins...

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Okay so this is going to be an infinite multiverse x3 or a comics universe level clusterfuck, but either way cool

how much of this setting do you have built?