Why Aren't We Speaking Esperanto

LABmaiL

Friend of All Hats :)
Because even if it would theoretically be easier than learning each separate language, humans just aren't willing to coordinate that way.

RiddleBuns

well if you're interested in learning Esperanto I can recommend to you a yuri visual novel called "The Expression Amrilato" and its sequel "Distant Memoraĵo" in which the main character gets isekai'd into a world where everyone speaks Esperanto and you have to learn the language in order to play the game.

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
Why not just english? Its easy its simple at least a lot simpler than Portuguese and its already most people second language.anyway
well if you're interested in learning Esperanto I can recommend to you a yuri visual novel called "The Expression Amrilato" and its sequel "Distant Memoraĵo" in which the main character gets isekai'd into a world where everyone speaks Esperanto and you have to learn the language in order to play the game.
Wtf! Why!

SternenklarenRitter

Because Esperanto is even more sexist than Japanese and Germain combined (both have a lot of sexist artifacts in their language). In Germain, objects are assigned he (der), she (die), or it (das) roughly in equal proportions, but a list of objects called 'she' quickly becomes a rather unflattering impression of feminine. In Japanese, the character for lady combines into Kanji in some really nasty ways. At least Esperanto is less racist than English though.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Because I'd need to learn Esperanto to speak it, and there is no point in learning it as it isn't used anywhere. I'd rather go back to my Japanese studies instead.
Because Esperanto is even more sexist than Japanese and Germain combined (both have a lot of sexist artifacts in their language). In Germain, objects are assigned he (der), she (die), or it (das) roughly in equal proportions, but a list of objects called 'she' quickly becomes a rather unflattering impression of feminine. In Japanese, the character for lady combines into Kanji in some really nasty ways. At least Esperanto is less racist than English though.
Objects with gendered pronouns aren't particularly unusual though? There are plenty of languages with that, and it isn't sexist in the slightest.

In Portuguese, for example, objects whose name end with "A" tend to be referred to with feminine pronouns, while objects that end with "O" tend to be referred to with masculine pronouns... The rest varies on a case by case basis, but still... It's fairly intuitive overall if you're used to the language, and nobody really bats an eye at it. It's not sexist, it's just how the language works.

If anything, the sexist part is that the default pronoun is the masculine one when something has no gender assigned to it or when you're referring to a mixed group and the like... Basically, masculine pronouns works for masculine stuff and for neutral stuff, while feminine pronouns work only for feminine stuff, which is a bit weird. German having a separate neutral pronoun makes more sense IMO, since you can refer to a mixed group of people by using the neutral pronoun instead of being forced to use to masculine pronoun.

As for Japanese being sexist... Yeah, I get that there are some dumb kanji combinations involving the 女 radical (like 姦 can mean any of "wicked, mischief, seduce, rape, noisy" depending on how it is used), but like... The language itself isn't really sexist I'd say? At most we have some really dated and out of touch kanjis, but it's hard to simply update kanji meanings, so there isn't much that can be done about that... It's more like it has one specific aspect that is sexist whether than the language as a whole being sexist?

I dunno, both of your complaints there seem really weird to me. The languages don't seem sexist to me at all.

... I also don't really know what about the English language that feels racist to you. No clue where this one came from.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Because this is the first I'm hearing of it.