Why did you start writing?

Alaska

I was bored and I saw that friend was doing it so I wrote
E136471F-DACE-42AA-815A-56F7EB1C5834.jpeg

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
There was a time I enjoyed system novel, I still do, but back then I'm a huge system fanatic.

But I remembered reading almost all that is available to me online, at least from my view, so I decided to wrote one myself without thinking further. I didn't even plan it or anything, just write what I was thinking at the time.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I remember being super imaginative as a kid and loved reading. As I got older my imagination became stale. Writing became an outlet for me to be imaginative and record it. Though I was also really depressed at the time so it was a great way to destress. Now I do it because I want to be a published writer.

Nirokuro

*Slaying tigers*
I loved stories from when i was little and was searching for novel of my taste, so it was until 15 that i decided to write my taste instead witch appeared to be super funny and i really liked the felling of people enjoying my work and giving thier feedback, also it was a good way to improve my way of writing and telling stories, i am now 16 and is remaking my last story as it was kind of bad because i have improved a lot which motivated Me more

IgorRSAW

I have always loved reading ( Books in general ), and I found anime and LN/WN one day. I marathoned many WN and became addicted to reading this. From then on, I started to feel like starting a WN too.

The trigger for me to start was when my aunt died. I wanted something to occupy my mind, and I found writing something was the best way out.

lambenttyto

Now I do it because I want to be a published writer.
Then you should write romance and submit it to Harlequin. Romance makes up 50% of the fiction market. I've always known this, but I never submitted a romance until recently, and... to my surprise, I've noticed an eagerness from the editors over there that I haven't experienced with other genres before. I was forced to retract my submission because they didn't like that I had previously indie published the romance novel.

I'm going to write a new romance and submit it to them.

EternalSunset0

An avenue to make my weebness look productive as a response to a lot of "what good does watching anime do? what good does playing games do for you anyway?" questions family have thrown at me as a kid. Way to meet like-minded people who could be friends over the Internet too.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
This is a hard question for me. I first wrote a "book" back when I was five. It was a whole process and everything too. My parents bought a folder with one of those clip things in it, a lot of paper, and pencils and crayons. What I created with it was a berenstein bears fanfiction where I came up with the most original idea of, "What if they were actually bears." After that, I wrote more and more, but it was mostly childish fanfictions. There was some original works, but not any worth mentioning. I remember the first real fanfic I made was of me self-inserting myself into the pokemon world.

But what truly got me into writing was when I was around ten. Pokemon had a side game series known as the "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series." Well they came out with the final game of that series, and I didn't realize that until the gen 7 third game, which turned out to be two, was coming out. I was mad as hell, because there was a lot of story potential using the lore of the gen 7 legends. So I came up with my own outline for the game.

Then that outline changed. Suddenly, I turned every character into humans, I changed the magic system, started coming up ideas for sequels, and the next thing I know, I came up with a story wholly separate of the original concept. Then I actually began writing it. It was terrible, of course, because I hadn't ever written seriously before. But I loved every moment of writing it, and someday, I will publish it as its own thing.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I don't remember. I'm pretty sure my parents showed me how to hold a pencil at some point.

lambenttyto

I thought novels were all The Great Gatsby and War and Peace and Hardy Boys, but when I stumbled onto Revelation Space, a dark, hard sci-fi, I was blown away, and before I even finished the book I wanted to start writing. That was when I was around 22-23?

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
Pretty sure most of us started writing cause either our parents or our school forced us to.

If you mean web novels, probably cause I had a story I wanted to tell? That and I liked litrpg and isekai, but couldn't help but feel frustrated how cheat skills pretty much solved everything, how other worlds operated by our standards, monotone side characters whose lives revolve around the mc and mc must solve every issue while things handed to them on golden platter.

So I just wanted to write something "different"tm

Mortrexo

I couldn't find stories of the genre I liked, yuri, cultivation, with a competent Female MC, and futa MC. Therefore, I decided to do it myself. I mean, most Female MC cultivation stories have this mysterious man that is super ultra strong with influence all over the world and falls in love with the Female lead. I didn't want that. I wanted a competent MC and if someone would be influential to help her, it would be her family.

yurinium

I have always loved reading. And so, when I'm reading fanfictions I was wondering, "why don't I start writing one?"

and after years of writing fanfiction, I wondered further, "why don't I write my own story?".

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
I got annoyed with myself for not going through with a story I began writing when I was 12. I had an entire saga built and had broken the story into seven books already. Thing is I never wrote down the ideas and when I went back to look at my old stuff I couldn't remember anythng.

What I do remember was that it was going to be similar to the movie version of Starship Troopers. What drove me to want to make it was the ending I had come up with. The war between humans and aliens started from a misunderstanding. The whole sentient species doesn't mean same thought processes debacle. The last scene was going to be the MC winning but only because circumstances of being surrounded and finding himself in front of the hive queen so, it was a life or death match. The whole time at this point he and his team already found out how the war was wrong and had tried to stop it for 2 previous books. Book would have ended with an unfair extinction, death of all comrades, suicide, and humanity crippled beyond repair.

I managed to finish two and a half books. One is barely legible because I used nothing but pencil. Everything is too horribly faded. Let's just say that I had no idea how to use words properly back then. Reading the other book gave me a headache. I had very obvious words of the week added to every other sentence. Had random symbols at the beginning of chapters that I remember were important for the story overall. Can't remember why though.

i started writing 'cuz of Breath of Fire IV.

when I was a kid, that game made me want to write story for video games. but as i grew up, i don't enjoy video game stories as much anymore. i prefer something with the least expositions. just simple fun and chill.