Why do Filipinos have this weird sense of pride?

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
Let me be honest, I don't particularly hate Filipinos as I have a few friends that are Filipino but damn, they aren't as annoying as those I found on FB.

"Oh, this is an English group? Nah, ours now." Then started speaking their mother language, ignoring the rules clearly stated its was an English group.

They are literally everywhere and then be proud as if it's something to be proud of when in reality, it's cringes.

So whenever I see some cringe Filipino posting, I keep asking why are Filipino like this.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Why do humans have pride? We're such a shitty species that having pride feels like a sin against the greater universe.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
LOL. As a Filipino myself, we are not. You might want to google that first.
They actually are. Both were colonies of spain which American gained after the spanish american war. However where they diverge is the philippines got its independence while puerto rico is still a usa territory

cheriechechan

I’m a Filipino, and I feel annoyed when I see a Filipino trying to be as weebish as possible, trying to be one of those first-world cool kids. Well, regardless of race, many people are generic, but when you see a Filipino that isn’t generic, Filipinos will likely like that and use that as a source of pride.

I’ll give you a concrete example. Let’s start with entertainment: Trese. “Woah, a Filipino anime?! How cool is that?!” “Finally, an anime that isn’t set in Tokyo but set in Manila!” “Damn, the Philippines is catching up, isn’t it?” It’s good that a third-world country like ours is getting its reputation—that’s a sign of cultural improvement.

And, of course, most Filipinos will use this as a source of pride. But there are other Filipinos who get annoyed by this, like my cousin. He told me: “Eh, just because it’s in the Philippines, doesn’t mean it’s already good. It’s only the ‘uniqueness’ that makes it good since no one has ever made a proper Filipino anime yet.”

And if you’re a Filipino who watches Trash Taste Podcast, you’re likely going to be one of those typical, English-spokening weebs (who usually can’t speak Filipino properly), acting like a first-world citizen, having this “cultured” mindset, having this weird sense of pride. Hypocritically enough, I listen to Trash Taste Podcast, but I don’t act like an English-spokening (I speak English in real life), first-world, cultured weeb. “Weeb” is like almost an antonym for “normie.” (So if you don’t watch anime, then that automatically makes you a “normie”? Not really.)

This topic is obviously related to the whole “Pinoy Pride” thing, and I know many foreigners are annoyed by it. I’ll give you a second example and make it brief. I’m going to use myself as an example: I’ve written a novel set in the Philippines. A Filipino protagonist. I feel proud writing a story that includes Manila, Cavite, Lucena, Tagaytay, Boracay, etc., that no one has ever included in their story (because it’s always Japan, Japan, Japan!). Therefore, I’m annoyed at myself, and I shouldn’t feel self-conceited just because it’s set in the Philippines. “Oh, shit, a Filipino author?! That writes light novels and draws manga?! I feel proud!”

I want to talk more about this, but I’ll stop it here. I know there are a lot of Filipinos on this website, with their waifu and husbando pillows, and I particularly want to hear your opinions. But if you’re one of those Filipinos who get annoyed by my “overawareness,” then feel free not to comment. Foreigners? Come join the fun.​
As your fellow Filipino writer, who the hell cares what the others say? Keep writing your stories. Whatever your story's settings and etc. keep going. Who the hell cares if you write something different from the usual 'norms'? Isn't that the excitement we writers get from writing these stories?
They actually are. Both were colonies of spain which American gained after the spanish american war. However where they diverge is the philippines got its independence while puerto rico is still a usa territory
LOL. If other Filipinos accidentally read that comment, they will probably find it offensive since we are clearly different from Puerto Ricans. I am not offended though.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
I’m a Filipino, and I feel annoyed when I see a Filipino trying to be as weebish as possible, trying to be one of those first-world cool kids. Well, regardless of race, many people are generic, but when you see a Filipino that isn’t generic, Filipinos will likely like that and use that as a source of pride.

I’ll give you a concrete example. Let’s start with entertainment: Trese. “Woah, a Filipino anime?! How cool is that?!” “Finally, an anime that isn’t set in Tokyo but set in Manila!” “Damn, the Philippines is catching up, isn’t it?” It’s good that a third-world country like ours is getting its reputation—that’s a sign of cultural improvement.

And, of course, most Filipinos will use this as a source of pride. But there are other Filipinos who get annoyed by this, like my cousin. He told me: “Eh, just because it’s in the Philippines, doesn’t mean it’s already good. It’s only the ‘uniqueness’ that makes it good since no one has ever made a proper Filipino anime yet.”

And if you’re a Filipino who watches Trash Taste Podcast, you’re likely going to be one of those typical, English-spokening weebs (who usually can’t speak Filipino properly), acting like a first-world citizen, having this “cultured” mindset, having this weird sense of pride. Hypocritically enough, I listen to Trash Taste Podcast, but I don’t act like an English-spokening (I speak English in real life), first-world, cultured weeb. “Weeb” is like almost an antonym for “normie.” (So if you don’t watch anime, then that automatically makes you a “normie”? Not really.)

This topic is obviously related to the whole “Pinoy Pride” thing, and I know many foreigners are annoyed by it. I’ll give you a second example and make it brief. I’m going to use myself as an example: I’ve written a novel set in the Philippines. A Filipino protagonist. I feel proud writing a story that includes Manila, Cavite, Lucena, Tagaytay, Boracay, etc., that no one has ever included in their story (because it’s always Japan, Japan, Japan!). Therefore, I’m annoyed at myself, and I shouldn’t feel self-conceited just because it’s set in the Philippines. “Oh, shit, a Filipino author?! That writes light novels and draws manga?! I feel proud!”

I want to talk more about this, but I’ll stop it here. I know there are a lot of Filipinos on this website, with their waifu and husbando pillows, and I particularly want to hear your opinions. But if you’re one of those Filipinos who get annoyed by my “overawareness,” then feel free not to comment. Foreigners? Come join the fun.​
Oh, boy, you haven't met Indians. We are probably the most vain people ever, we are literally so arrogant, its quite super natural.
Our people can't handle any other country being ahead.
Germany made some sort of biodegradable plastic? There would immediately be Indians saying the Gita did it first.

We also can't tolerate any other religion than ours.

D

Deleted member 42060

Oh, boy, you haven't met Indians. We are probably the most vain people ever, we are literally so arrogant, its quite super natural.
Germany made some sort of biodegradable plastic? There would immediately be Indians saying the Gita did it first.

We also can't tolerate any other religion than ours.​
Indians are unusually good at mathematics. They’re obsessed with logic and numbers, and I don’t know why. (Probably: “I may not be good at spelling and grammar, but I can solve the formula of the universe!) They’re also tech-savvy, too, as you see those awkward Indian tutorial videos.​

Agentt

Thighs
Indians are unusually good at mathematics. They’re obsessed with logic and numbers, and I don’t know why. They’re also tech-savvy, too, as you see those awkward Indian tutorial videos.​
Na, just...nope. We are good at maths because, well, we are a third world country where engineering and doctor is the only job available. And those tech videos are just them pretending to be modern. I know tech worse than my parents

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
Indians are unusually good at mathematics. They’re obsessed with logic and numbers, and I don’t know why. (Probably: “I may not be good at spelling and grammar, but I can solve the formula of the universe!) They’re also tech-savvy, too, as you see those awkward Indian tutorial videos.​
Nah, only about 20% of our population is smart, but thing is 20% of our population is ten times the population of some other countries

Also thats just really f**ked hindus, we have plenty of other religions but they are in minority, though we have on multiple occasions had multiple religion problems most people I know are mostly fine with other religions. Though as far as I know those problems happen a lot in north-eastern India

Edit: Scratch that, I just remembered that I believed that Hindi was India's national language till 8th or 9th cause that was taught to us when I was a kid only to realize that India doesn't have one and instead we have 2 official languages (English and Hindi) and 22 scheduled languages. Meaning my teachers were shit

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I mean, people can be proud about the weirdest things.

Some people in Indonesia seem to be proud about not knowing English for one... I remember seeing Ollie (an Indonesian Vtuber) ranting hard about that because those people were being annoying in chat.

So well, just don't mind it too much, I guess? Some people are just proud about stupid things. Ignore it and move on~

Fromage

Peerless member
I mean, people can be proud about the weirdest things.

Some people in Indonesia seem to be proud about not knowing English for one... I remember seeing Ollie (an Indonesian Vtuber) ranting hard about that because those people were being annoying in chat.

So well, just don't mind it too much, I guess? Some people are just proud about stupid things. Ignore it and move on~
You look like a Paket Phoenix enjoyer.

SilvCrimBlac

A Historical Bastard
Idk. Only group of people I've never been able to stomach being around are French people. Every one of them I've ever met, were arrogant narcissistic pricks who acted as if the sun rose and set only on France and the French people. Idk what it is with French people, but they have this enormous sense of undeserved pride that aggravates me, and since Quebecois (French Canadians basically) tend to have a sizeable population where I live, I have to deal with those pricks as well. It seems just having ANY French heritage at all makes one have that arrogance.

I'm not normally espousing negativity on any ethnicity, (not even Chinese despite the fact that they have more than earned it worldwide), but man...French people suck. If you're French on here, I do not take back what I said. Chances are, I wouldn't like you either because in my opinion, you probably have that same weird sneer on your face too that you don't even recognize because you're French yourself and it's been normalized so you don't even see it anymore.
That's not really unique of Indians. All religions espouse to be "the proper one", or at least all of the Modern-Day Big 4 (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism) Though I will say I do believe that Hinduism is the smallest of the Big 4 since it hasn't spread quite like a wildfire as the other three have.

Last edited:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Idk. Only group of people I've never been able to stomach being around are French people. Every one of them I've ever met, were arrogant narcissistic pricks who acted as if the sun rose and set only on France and the French people. Idk what it is with French people, but they have this enormous sense of undeserved pride that aggravates me, and since Quebecois (French Canadians basically) tend to have a sizeable population where I live, I have to deal with those pricks as well. It seems just having ANY French heritage at all makes one have that arrogance.

I'm not normally espousing negativity on any ethnicity, (not even Chinese despite the fact that they have more than earned it worldwide), but man...French people suck. If you're French on here, I do not take back what I said. Chances are, I wouldn't like you either because in my opinion, you probably have that weird sneer on your face too that you don't even recognize because you're French yourself and it's been normalized so you don't even see it anymore.

That's not really unique of Indians. All religions espouse to be "the proper one", or at least all of the Modern-Day Big 4 (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism) Though I will say I do believe that Hinduism is the smallest of the Big 4 since it hasn't spread quite like a wildfire as the other three have.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who disliked Frenchies. I've only met a few French people, clearly not as many as you, but the experience was less than stellar to say the least. Growing up in Brooklyn though, I met more than enough French-Canadians to say if I never see another one, it would still be too soon.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
I am an American redneck. I like and appreciate the Filipinos. Y'all are pretty alright, better than yankees and goddamn yankees.

zelotwo02

Idk, I'm a filipino, I made tons of novels, most of them are set in another word with Japanese protage because i think their names are cool because they have meanings

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
Is this new? There always have been two types of filipino, the overtly narcissistic english-speaking wannabe/weeb and the condescending denouncer who unwittingly pander to foreigners. This is simply what you get when you deprive a nation of its identity, they just can't love themselves.