Why do many authors use covers that they got from Google?

Do you agree with doing this?

• Total voters

minacia

perpetually sour
Just would like to note that other TLs have the right to get angry as the aggregators make money off of what is yours (and the original authors work).
Certainly, although there is a small element of hypocrisy because a bulk majority of fan translations are illegal, so it’s a bit like a thief complaining that they were stolen from.

International copyright law is quite clear that translations do not constitute fair use — in pretty much every jurisdiction, fan translators have lost out when pitted against copyright owners. There was a pretty high profile case several years ago when some scanalators were arrested in Japan for their online work.

In terms of webnovel translations, there’s a lot of instances of original authors not realizing that they don’t have the ability to grant permission (license) translators to translate their work. Most CN novels posted online are contracted to their publishing site (I.e. qidian), and the authors no longer own all rights to their story. A lot of times authors will initially grant permission and then get in trouble with their publisher and then go back to contact the translator to get it removed.

D

Deleted member 45782

Man, it makes me feel old now seeing people not know what K-on is. I remember the start of the previous decade like yesterday and the series was one of the biggest and most recognizable moeblob shows out there at that time.
Ah, well I don't watch much anime so yeah XD

Although i saw an image from that once for a nightcore video.

S10

Certainly, although there is a small element of hypocrisy because a bulk majority of fan translations are illegal, so it’s a bit like a thief complaining that they were stolen from.

International copyright law is quite clear that translations do not constitute fair use — in pretty much every jurisdiction, fan translators have lost out when pitted against copyright owners. There was a pretty high profile case several years ago when some scanalators were arrested in Japan for their online work.

In terms of webnovel translations, there’s a lot of instances of original authors not realizing that they don’t have the ability to grant permission (license) translators to translate their work. Most CN novels posted online are contracted to their publishing site (I.e. qidian), and the authors no longer own all rights to their story. A lot of times authors will initially grant permission and then get in trouble with their publisher and then go back to contact the translator to get it removed.
I completely agree with you there.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Specifically, I am talking about when authors don't know where the image is from or who made ot and just grab and image and say "All rights to the image go to the artist".
I would rather not have SH taken off the face of the earth by copyright.
It is generally considered acceptable for copyrighted art to be used for non-commercial purposes. Charities do this all the time. Despite that, the act itself is illegal, unless the proper license was applied to the art in the first place.

However, the key to its acceptance is the clause 'not for commercial use'. Meaning if you don't make money from it, it's fine to use it as much as you want. If this clause does not exist, it is still unlikely for you or the site to get in trouble, unless, you claim that the art belongs to you.

Why do people do this? For the simple fact that writing a story for free is a net-loss. You are throwing away your own valuable time so that others get the reading material to pass the day. With your time already wasted, not many would want to waste money commissioning a new art too, which could cost as much as $200 per drawing. It would be great if that would make money, but most authors here do not make money, and most readers here do not want to support the authors monetarily.

S10

It is generally considered acceptable for copyrighted art to be used for non-commercial purposes. Charities do this all the time. Despite that, the act itself is illegal, unless the proper license was applied to the art in the first place.

However, the key to its acceptance is the clause 'not for commercial use'. Meaning if you don't make money from it, it's fine to use it as much as you want. If this clause does not exist, it is still unlikely for you or the site to get in trouble, unless, you claim that the art belongs to you.

Why do people do this? For the simple fact that writing a story for free is a net-loss. You are throwing away your own valuable time so that others get the reading material to pass the day. With your time already wasted, not many would want to waste money commissioning a new art too, which could cost as much as $200 per drawing. It would be great if that would make money, but most authors here do not make money, and most readers here do not want to support the authors monetarily.
It is not generally accepted. Sometimes it is morally accepted but not generally accepted unless if you give credit (which many don't do).
Charities do not do this at all as getting sued is disastrous for a charity and will legitimately just straight up kill the charity.
The other problem I see is the fact that companys automate the systems to automatically send copyright notices.

My point in this is that I am not annoyed for people not commissioning art (but if you have money you should do it). I am annoyed at people not crediting and not asking the artist. I am annoyed at a general lack of knowledge of copyright which over these years people just know as a "YouTube thing that hurts creators".

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
It is not generally accepted. Sometimes it is morally accepted but not generally accepted unless if you give credit (which many don't do).
Charities do not do this at all as getting sued is disastrous for a charity and will legitimately just straight up kill the charity.
The other problem I see is the fact that companys automate the systems to automatically send copyright notices.

My point in this is that I am not annoyed for people not commissioning art (but if you have money you should do it). I am annoyed at people not crediting and not asking the artist. I am annoyed at a general lack of knowledge of copyright which over these years people just know as a "YouTube thing that hurts creators".
It IS generally accepted. Using copyrighted images for non-commercial stories on the net has been an accepted practice for decades, ever since stories were shared through newsletters in the 90s. It's normal in many different writing platforms that do not monetise their stories. It's normal. Ai-chan disagrees with making it a big deal now that we already accepted that it's normal.

Why was it tolerated by the artists? Two reasons.

One, because this is a victimless misdemeanor. The readers and artists understand that the art used is merely a representation of the story and not assumed to be taken as an intellectual property theft. In some cases, stories have been written based on the copyrighted images themselves. Nobody complained for the longest time.

Two, because if the artist wants to take actions, they can. DMCA allows them to copyright strike the item in question. But before that, they would have to prove that they own the copyrighted materials. Alternatively, they can simply ask the author in question to just take them down, and this has been done for decades. It's all for fun, you just tell the authors, "I don't approve, can you take my art down?" and the authors would agree. It's not a big deal.

As for charities using copyrighted materials, Ai-chan can't give evidence now as it was discovered over the course of many years. Don't know what happened to them, nor the names of the organisations. However, there was a political campaign by a Malaysian politician that used a recoloured drawing of Alice Margatroid in 2014. Everyone knew it was Alice Margatroid, but everyone was fine with it because it was not meant to be an intellectual property theft. The politician was simply trying to appeal to the younger audience. It didn't really work though, as Malaysians mostly saw it as cringy.

Last edited:

Rogerz21

I'll take that

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Bleh. Using images from google is considered morally questionable? Lol fuck outta here with that XDDD

TheWritingBirb

In my humble opinion, it's a bad habit for upcoming new authors to cultivate. It was already mentioned but there a very good cc resources where you can find pictures with the licence to edit them. Editing pictures, changing colors putting filters on them can drastically change the tone of the pictures and make them fit any story. It also has the added benefit of having the satisfaction to create something for yourself.

CookieCrumble

This is my cover. It looks half-way decent, right? Do I have any background in photo-editing software like photoshop? God, no. This day it's surprisingly easy to do what you want online by simply typing "Stuff you want to done online" on google. I did this by typing "novel cover online" which brought me to Canva and AdobeSparks.

They provide free service, at least until you got hooked on their more *ehm* sparkly option. But the basic stuff is free. I did mine by simply slapdashing good-looking font on provided template photo (which again free from either copyright wrangling, moral dilemma, and user fees) before calling it a day.

Perhaps give it a try?

The Wiz Cover.png

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
This is my cover. It looks half-way decent, right? Do I have any background in photo-editing software like photoshop? God, no. This day it's surprisingly easy to do what you want online by simply typing "Stuff you want to done online" on google. I did this by typing "novel cover online" which brought me to Canva and AdobeSparks.

They provide free service, at least until you got hooked on their more *ehm* sparkly option. But the basic stuff is free. I did mine by simply slapdashing good-looking font on provided template photo (which again free from either copyright wrangling, moral dilemma, and user fees) before calling it a day.

Perhaps give it a try?

View attachment 6266
That looks damnit good. Who are those 'I have no money so I can't get a good cover' authors? Obviously there are enough free options and it doesn't even take long to search.

Localforeigner

Perhaps give it a try?

View attachment 6266
Canva is great! And that is a fantastic cover!

LinMeili

Perhaps give it a try?

View attachment 6266
Thanks, I'll give that a go!

CookieCrumble

That looks damnit good. Who are those 'I have no money so I can't get a good cover' authors? Obviously there are enough free options and it doesn't even take long to search.
Haha, thank you. But don't be so hard on them. Before I scroll through the forum board here I also never heard a concept of AI-generated art like waifulab or artbreeder. Like they say: you don't know what you don't know
Canva is great! And that is a fantastic cover!
Thank you!
Thanks, I'll give that a go!
Good luck, I'll look forward seeing yours.

Niuniax

I personally think it's boring to get an art from internet and put it on your work. First people will know sooner or later.
Second there are plenty free design software online to make something decent yourself. People over complicate thinking you need world class cover for a new story.
Third if I can recommend anything, I'd say fiverr has many artists who can do a cover for you for 5$. (I got mine done on fiverr)
It's just easier for people to copy/paste and make excuses, than actually put in some extra work.
Just my two cents.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
That won't ever happen, you don't need to worry about it.

It's not really Tony's responsibility to control whether or not the image you used is copyrighted and whether or not you payed for it... That's on you. And if you messed up, the artist will solve the problem with you. Tony has nothing to do with it.

Sure, the act itself can be questioned or whatever, but worrying about Scribblehub being in trouble because of authors using copyrighted images...? Yeah, you can drop that worry, rest assured, nothing will come out of it.

Reisinling

If you have less than I don't know, 500 readers and 50k reads It's okay in my books, as you are clearly a hobbits until that point. After that, we get into this shit is real business territory independent of your intentions, hire someone.

Like, seriously, am I imagining things or did certain popular vampire book author, that had been earning 1k$ on patreon use copyrighted painting for a few months as his cover?

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
My modus operandi is to find some sort of public domain image and gussy it up, or use a personally taken photo. The only exception to this was a time that I found an awesome picture, and was unable to find the original artist, only tons of people getting it from somewhere else.

lJeDl

Specifically, I am talking about when authors don't know where the image is from or who made ot and just grab and image and say "All rights to the image go to the artist".
Well one of the reasons for people like me is that we don't have money to pay an artist to draw a cover or that we can't draw for sh*t. so personally I just grab one on google and set it as my cover because having no cover will not attract people to click on my novel, basically.