Writer's little secret

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
That's what charisma is about? Have you updated that summary yet?
Now come now. My character is also deceptive and manipulative. Therefore the summary will be like that too! Not to mention that the one moment of cannibalism is meant to be one of the most shocking moments of the story, so no, sticking it in the summary would be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Not that you could know that, of course, since you haven't read it.

D

Deleted member 113259

Now come now. My character is also deceptive and manipulative. Therefore the summary will be like that too! Not to mention that the one moment of cannibalism is meant to be one of the most shocking moments of the story, so no, sticking it in the summary would be one of the dumbest ideas ever. Not that you could know that, of course, since you haven't read it.
Not really a fan of writing something just to be shocking as it makes a story only able o be read once, but that's just me. Deception also wasn't the only thing wrong with your summary.

TheMonotonePuppet

Not really a fan of writing something just to be shocking as it makes a story only able o be read once, but that's just me. Deception also wasn't the only thing wrong with your summary.
Deception is not wrong in this case. But in the context of the argument, there is no reason to talk about the other elements of the summary either. And I didn't write it for people like you. I am well aware of the consequences of writing something shocking. Not only that, you are assuming that I am writing it solely for the shock factor, when that is not true either, nor does it come off as that.

D

Deleted member 113259

Deception is not wrong in this case. But in the context of the argument, there is no reason to talk about the other elements of the summary either. And I didn't write it for people like you. I am well aware of the consequences of writing something shocking. Not only that, you are assuming that I am writing it solely for the shock factor, when that is not true either, nor does it come off as that.
You had earlier admitted that you wanted to do a better job in hinting at the true nature of your character.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls
my story isn't NSFW but it has several weird elements that cause my family to not ask about my plotlines; I still tell them 🐶👍

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
My family doesn't even know I'm trans.

Given they are really my only reliable support system, I'm not inclined to rock that boat anytime soon.

Plus I have tricks for delaying the dysphoria... until it just becomes insurmountable and swallows me whole but by then I should have a life well lived.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Husband is my beta reader, and my boyfriend has told me he can't read it at work because it gets him too horny. My mom knows my pen name, but she's probably too busy to check up on what I'm writing. She's still working her way through the novels I've edited. Son won't let me write anymore, and he's even told me to "stop reading" because it seems he has something against books now and I'm not sure how to remedy that. We'd just opened up a box of new books from my aunt, and I tried to read one to him, and :blob_teary:

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Stop being a coward.
Or stop being degenerate.
Both are unhealthy and you need some character development.

It is not an act of cowardice to not take engagements you know you cannot win. My situation does not permit me to operate fully single-handedly, so I do not try. What I do suffer from is depression, which I combat as part of my character arc.

I am unsure what you mean by degeneracy. I offer you an olive branch and choose to interpret it as my above-average concentration of snark and time investment online in fora. In which case I take your words under advisement.

TheMonotonePuppet

My family doesn't even know I'm trans.

Given they are really my only reliable support system, I'm not inclined to rock that boat anytime soon.

Plus I have tricks for delaying the dysphoria... until it just becomes insurmountable and swallows me whole but by then I should have a life well lived.

Live, girl, live!!! LIVE!!!!!!

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
It is not an act of cowardice to not take engagements you know you cannot win. My situation does not permit me to operate fully single-handedly, so I do not try. What I do suffer from is depression, which I combat as part of my character arc.

I am unsure what you mean by degeneracy. I offer you an olive branch and choose to interpret it as my above-average concentration of snark and time investment online in fora. In which case I take your words under advisement.
I was mostly talking to OP, since he self identified as degenerate, but my advice does apply more broadly. Thank you for your patience.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian

Live, girl, live!!! LIVE!!!!!!
Hai. 'Tis why I write. And, as the moon tides, 'tis why I read.

I shall convey the fires driving this cinnamon spiced angel of spite, both the-

I was mostly talking to OP, since he self identified as degenerate, but my advice does apply more broadly. Thank you for your patience.

... *checks for reply, one was not present*

*laughs hysterically* Stars Above! Okay that one's on me! Um.... *offers a snickerdoodle* Here. for your troubles. Send Aaqil my regards.

Jet

I'm honestly surprised that so many of SH writers don't want to be read 😳. I mean, we actually upload works for the whole wide world to see. It can be shameful. It can be scary. It's also more interesting what the target audience would say. But it's often people completely unrelated to the target audience that end up enjoying the most... I say that literature is written to be read. In the long run at least.

I also heard that you aren't supposed to tell people, because you expend the energy that could be used on proper writing that way. But honestly, writing is such a big part of life. It instils a sort of lens you start viewing the life with. To be secretive about that is like living a life of a kind of spy🫣.