Your opinions on powerscalers in shonen manga fanbases

OP1000

Hello!!!!
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Powerscalers (more specifically for works published for the shonen demographic)?

I personally think that while they can take it too far when they focus on the feats the characters in the series they follow accomplish, it can sometimes be interesting to think of how certain characters will do against other characters of the shows they talk about in certain situations.

Last edited:

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Not a shonen but I figured I would share.

That one time in Paradise Lost where Satan and Micheal are about to throw hands in a heavenly wrestling match but God just holds up a scale which tips dramatically in Michaels favor, basically telling Satan that Micheal literally power scales him immensely.

Doesn't even bother to say why or in what manner. He's just like, nope, you done goofed, and Satan just slinks away cursing.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Tensura character strength comparison with some clickbait picture.

On a more serious note, powerscales are usually stupid. Generalizing power to numbers is such an oversimplification it generally doesn't say anything, and generalizing to ranks or tiers can be good if it's thought out, but usually isn't.

I found out that the less ranks are, the better it is for me. Three or four is great.

Lloyd

Professional Writer

That one time in Paradise Lost where Satan and Micheal are about to throw hands in a heavenly wrestling match but God just holds up a scale which tips dramatically in Michaels favor, basically telling Satan that Micheal literally power scales him immensely.

Doesn't even bother to say why or in what manner. He's just like, nope, you done goofed, and Satan just slinks away cursing.
God was giving Michael a power boost, since base Michael is only an archangel while Satan is a fallen seraphim.

J_Chemist

I would like to see this. Oh, it's a poem/religious thing. Nevermind. Thought it was some kind of cool animation or something.

I don't mind the power scaling so long as it completes two things:

1. It makes sense and there's no goofy ass jumps that make no sense. I.e; the MC just so happens to always have that power and now decides to pull it out of his ass because plot.

2. The MC earns their keep. In tandem with #1, the MC needs to earn the power they gradually develop in order to provide the foundation of sensibility behind their strength. While it doesn't necessarily require a training arc, it should come with some kind of overcoming of a challenge or as the result of a difficult journey/adventure.

Ah, and the bullshit of a "new villain" every twenty chapters/episodes just to keep pushing the MC higher and higher is kind of dumb. It really turns the series into a Monthly Fight Night ordeal where there's always going to be someone bigger and badder the MC will inevitably jump over like a hurdle rather than make them think critically.

Paul_Tromba

I would like to see this. Oh, it's a poem/religious thing. Nevermind. Thought it was some kind of cool animation or something.
It is Christian fanfic about the fall in the Garden of Eden and the fall of Satan. There are a few YouTubers who have good simple summaries of it.

J_Chemist

Here's one I would highly recommend.
1698414563991.png

good simple summaries
PAUL. WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF A SUMMARY? :blob_catflip:

Edit: Conveniently, since I am also watching it at the same time and happen to notice. The run time of that "Summary" video is the exact same runtime as Saw 3, down to the second.
1698414792567.png

SsemouyOnan

Scientific Witchery
It can be interesting if it's contained to only one universe. It gets icky when they try to compare two fundamentally different power systems, but even that can be fine if there's a cool animation involved like in Death Battles.

Buuuut once powerscaling mfos put fucking Featherine Augustus Aurora in the ring with Yog-sothoth like they're betting on roosters, at that point it's just a popularity contest. I swear they do be making up terms to say "muh infinity conceptually transcends your infinity"(see: Suggsverse)

Paul_Tromba

View attachment 23319

PAUL. WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF A SUMMARY? :blob_catflip:

Edit: Conveniently, since I am also watching it at the same time and happen to notice. The run time of that "Summary" video is the exact same runtime as Saw 3, down to the second.
View attachment 23320
It's an 800 modern-page poem written in the same prose as ancient Greek poems but by a dude in the 1300s who published it by chapter (basically the webnovel of the 1300s). What did you expect? This is probably the quickest summary video out there(That covers the whole story). Summaries of the Iliad take longer... usually.

Also, your response made me laugh and fall off my chair.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
Saitama is the strongest in all anime universe
:blob_hmm_two: I don't think he could reach the top ten to be honest.

For powerscale, it's good when it's well done but when the power come out of nowhere or due to friendship, I can't support it.

I always thought that lucifer was the strongest of them, his fall was due to his hatred against human and his rebelious action against god. I never read any stories where he portrayed as weaker than michael, except maybe some where satan and lucifer are too separated entity, and are part of the seven sins.

Succubiome

Saitama is the strongest in all anime universe
Only when it's funny, but yes.

But also: One Punch Man is my favorite power ranking I can think of?

It's very useful for the hero organization to have rankings to classify heroes/threats as, so they have some idea whom to throw at what.

This means that hero rank is done by a bureaucracy and seen as legitimate by the general public-- but it's not particularly accurate, and this is established almost immediately. Saitama blows everyone out of the park numerically in his testing, and it's not even close... but it doesn't even really matter, he's just able to start in a slightly high power ranking.

J_Chemist

It's an 800 modern-page poem written in the same prose as ancient Greek poems but by a dude in the 1300s who published it by chapter (basically the webnovel of the 1300s). What did you expect? This is probably the quickest summary video out there(That covers the whole story). Summaries of the Iliad take longer... usually.
Okay, I can understand the two hours of explanation that would require. That's a lot of pages.

Also, your response made me laugh and fall off my chair.
Don't hurt yerself booboo. ❤️
:blob_hmm: Your opinions on powerscalers in shonen manga fanbases
What is powerscalers ?
I don't get what you don't get. :blob_no: :sweating_profusely: The powerscaler is the MC who powers up every arc?