Your thoughts on a literal tank character

EldritchCoomer

Horny on main
1. I actually thought it was some kind of sentient machine, you should reconsider the use of "literal"

2. What do you mean "Basically Goku"? Goku is pretty strong, but he has a lot of options for short, medium and long range attacks. Plus Goku is rarely stand-offish, he is kinda Oaffish.

3. I like highly durable characters that have durability as their main strong point. You can build them in many ways, like for example a determinator who needs to be smart because as durable as he is, he can't dish as much damage as he can take. Or maybe he is a cross-counter artist, taking damage waiting for his window of opportunity to strike. He could be a protector and is the first to jump and take damage, or he could be an arrogant warrior who thinks that never getting injured seriously is the same as being actually strong, until he gets his ass served and learns a valuable lesson. As rigid as the archetype seems, it has a lot of versatility depending how you use it.

View attachment 18260

One of my favorite "tank" characters is Noh Gajang from "Peerless Dad". In a world of kung-fu mastery and technique, he wins by being harder than steel and taking hits nobody in their right mind would do and he keeps getting up because he knows he needs to protect his children. He is an uber badass nigh-unkillable warrior, but even like that he is a small fish in a much bigger pond, as he can block certain type of attacks, while others can affect him and learning how to diversify his skillset and improve his failings is part of his journey.
I used Goku as a metaphor for my tank isn't actually like Goku and has no chance of doing long range or mid range attacks and can only do short range at a certain situation, so no they aren't going to have a serious blows to the enemy and yes I plan to make them always jump into take most of the damage and no they aren't the type that can take a certain amount of damage that weakens over time, due to what they've already been in there isn't a thing the world could throw at them to put them at that situation

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Well, if you can't defeat it, don't fight it, that's it. I'm pretty sure if an entire army can't bring down someone they'll just go and fight somewhere else. I bet no King would seek his services, if you can't attack, what's the point? Even if you could attack, if your enemy is faster than you they'll just bypass you. I guess the only use for such a character would be defending something at the deepest dungeon where the only way to pass is through him.

EldritchCoomer

Horny on main
Well, if you can't defeat it, don't fight it, that's it. I'm pretty sure if an entire army can't bring down someone they'll just go and fight somewhere else. I bet no King would seek his services, if you can't attack, what's the point? Even if you could attack, if your enemy is faster than you they'll just bypass you. I guess the only use for such a character would be defending something at the deepest dungeon where the only way to pass is through him.
Not that type of fantasy and they don't typically fight an army unless they have support, also there is not exactly a chance to escape when the tank is in your base and proceeds to slaughter all the citizens, the point is there is no escape, cause you can't run away from said person and would eventually be caught slipping and meet your end

beast_regards

If you mean an actual tank, as in a military vehicle, I think I've read such a story. Don't remember the name of the story though.

CubicleHermit

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I drafted a story about a tank crew in a modern fantasy world, based on those npc like military characters you always see in anime and movies, though the focus would be on those characters. Got bored and never finished it.

Anyway I feel the term tank is a bit outdated as well. About a 100 hundred or so years. Tanks haven’t been impervious to near all weapons since mid ww1. Nowadays tanks are extremely vulnerable and need support from various other systems to not get one tapped by an airplane 10km away, or a single dude with a top attack atgm launcher that costs 1/50th of the price of the tank.

Anyways that’s my rant over