How do girls feel about Harems for guys?

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
This is a question I've been curious about. You see, I like making my characters more "human". This was because I was inspired by "Attack on Titan". Really good show, but don't watch it because the ending's utter Dogshit. Back on the topic, I want the characters to be "Human". I do read some stupid stories, these stories are basically about how "the MC is super OP oh wow he gets those puss-puss for free oh EZ, this girl likes me? Well I didn't know still wanna suck my D?" type of shit. It hurts, but it's very rare to come across really good stories. So, I decided, "Fuck it, why not make my own good story (self-proclaimed)?". As I took in many inspirations, stories like "Berserk", "Attack on Titan", "Tensura", "Beginning after the End", "Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood", "BNHA", "Mushoku Tensei", "Konosuba" and... SO MUCH MORE, that I saw one similarity between the majority of them... They included Harems. And they're in medieval times. With magic. Now, this is a huge problem in the story I'm trying to write. Harems, though they were in medieval times and a dream of many guys, isn't so fair with my story. I, for one, like being fair with guys and girls. I want it to be an equal footing, however, though I have this kind of vision, I want to see your opinions.

Harems are, though a dream for many guys, is a bit weird. If you, the lover or the main girl of the guy, suddenly brings home about 10 other girls, would you be okay with it? Or, for the guys out there, if your girl were to suddenly bring out 10 guys to your home, would you be okay with it?

I wanna see your opinions on this, and depending on your opinions, I might change up the future part of the story. Why? Well, because I'm on a 50/50 stand with this.

D

Deleted member 45782

I think ik some on shf or nuf who would like reading reverse harem. @K5Rakitan likes stuff like that.

Personally though, its a no for me. I like one to one relationship. I want to find my one soulmate.

If reading watching story that has harem in it, then would rather it be historical or ancient times since they did had that in past and its not something you can change and more for political/bitch fight dramas.

If it was reverse, would a guy be okay with his girl bringing home 10 other guys? Maybe some cases and in some local customs, but that really depends; don't really see that as something commonplace.

ForestDweller

I don't know if there are any actual girls reading my story but one of my readers said I could appeal more to the girl audience if I give more spotlight to the harem members since according to him, they're all strong and well-developed characters in their own right.

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
I'm a guy myself, but I got sick of harems. It's always 99% guaranteed that they get the girls easily, which is upsetting because there's no hard work put into romance in those types of stories. It's too easy to the point of the story getting dull. I used to be a fucking obsessed maniac when it comes to harems in stories, but nowadays I keep it away from me. There are exceptions though, I like the harems in smut and hentai, because it exists to solely make you bust a nut. In regular stories, it only exists to dick tease guys into consuming more, making them hope on getting into the juicy parts, which will usually never come.

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
I'm a guy myself, but I got sick of harems. It's always 99% guaranteed that they get the girls easily, which is upsetting because there's no hard work put into romance in those types of stories. It's too easy to the point of the story getting dull. I used to be a fucking obsessed maniac when it comes to harems in stories, but nowadays I keep it away from me. There are exceptions though, I like the harems in smut and hentai, because it exists to solely make you bust a nut. In regular stories, it only exists to dick tease guys into consuming more, making them hope on getting into the juicy parts, which will usually never come.
That's what I don't like about majority of the harems. There's no romance involved, it's just easy clap in the girl's ass, you know? But, what I want as a guy was a harem that was achieved with romance. How about that?
I know for fact an 13 year old girl was reading my harem stories. Shes like 15 or 16 now and shes the biggest fucking pervert. One of her greatest wishes is to have a futa cock so she can fuck milfs.

And she's even talked in discord before, so we do know she's a girl. Damn kid. @ohmyriley get over here
N-Nani?

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
I know for fact an 13 year old girl was reading my harem stories. Shes like 15 or 16 now and shes the biggest fucking pervert. One of her greatest wishes is to have a futa cock so she can fuck milfs.

And she's even talked in discord before, so we do know she's a girl. Damn kid. @ohmyriley get over here
Bro, don't kinkshame. When I was 14, I used to want to be a shota and wanted to fuck MILFs like in ShotaMILF hentais.

Also, pretty sure I can beat her in terms of degeneracy and pervertedness. No one can challenge me in that category.

tounokenja

Gyaru connoisseur
I wrote this story about a guy having to deal with an oversized harem that increases rapidly over a few weeks, and everyone coping with the situation including the guy who isn't exactly 100% onboard. Lots of character fleshing out, arguably only one character up to this point still feels ancillary, but that'll be hammered out soon enough.

Leti

Harems are, though a dream for many guys, is a bit weird. If you, the lover or the main girl of the guy, suddenly brings home about 10 other girls, would you be okay with it? Or, for the guys out there, if your girl were to suddenly bring out 10 guys to your home, would you be okay with it?

I wanna see your opinions on this, and depending on your opinions, I might change up the future part of the story. Why? Well, because I'm on a 50/50 stand with this.
Harems are normal in most medieval or fantasy settings. Especially for rich people like CEO or Royalty. Being a part of their harem is a guaranteed risk. Nothing wrong with that. As long as I can still do anything I want.

EternalSunset0

I probably can't speak for girls, but I as a consumer always had the feeling that the "harem" bit of anime isn't there for the relationship. At least I don't react to it that way. It's for marketing mostly, and I feel that some people (I'm very guilty of this) don't even watch those harems for the romance.

I want to see the my favorite tropes thrown in with some unique character development drama here and there, but overall, the main appeal of a "harem" (emphasis on the quotes) for me is not the romance or even making sense of the situation (like your example with bringing home many other girls) but the fact that you'll have a roster of girls to feel attracted to. Eventually, someone would find a waifu or something among the six or so.

For me, it's never about the romance which is why I actually prefer what some anime often do with pushing the actual romance/relationship part aside in favor of a more "traveling/battle companions with many girls" approach. Or maybe not even those actiony parts, but basically in a way that shows like Saekano do it. Then probably just have MC choose one, all, or none once the adventure's completely over.

Akivien

SATAAAAAAN AAAAAAAAAAH

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
As a dude, I don't like harem unless it is for nutting purpose, though I do enjoy harems like Sevens with the women in the group actually interact like normal human beings.

The key word is "normal", I can enjoy a gossip where a man ends up hooking with many women and a shitstorm is brewing, I am having a hard time to digest easy capture targets like CCGs.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Harem is good if you develop it well. What makes it special isn't about making collection but how you flesh out the characters and how you want them to stick into the story. If you want harem but for collection only, I recommend you never touch harem since you'll likely think more of your lower part than actually making it good.

Harems in my part are something to write and let the character grow like how the harem grows. Look at Nisekoi and how it develops the girls. They all got quirks and differences that people trying to ship them into the MC in a way they want, not knowing how the ending fcked them all. Harems are mostly collecting girls but how to develop them into proper humans depends on you.

I for one can write my own harem, the problem being is that I have a hard time making interactions with one person, much less multiple people.

D

Deleted member 49654

It isn't in human nature to share important things unless they have an excess of the resource. At the same time, more or less, readers immerse themselves in the stories to a certain extend.

So, if you think you can have too much of your loved one, and you are fine with giving some to other people, then you probably don't really like that person all that much. Therefore harem/reverse harem is fine for playing around/sexual kinks, but it definitely doesn't make sense for a love story.

If you are not female, just think it through your own perspective. Would you like to be a part of the reverse harem of an FL?

Of course, there are probably some exceptions. There are places in this world where polygamy is legal. Maybe for the females there, reading a harem story is reasonable. Anyway, I still doubt that they will enjoy it. Being forced to share doesn't mean you agree or like it. About the small polyamory communities, this is not exactly a harem because the relationship is all for all.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Just bringing ten people home out of the blue? No, that would be a very dramatic break-up and a story I'd be telling people for the rest of my life. The nerve of the guy!

Polyamory, even if it's the "one person with many lovers" type, should always be done with full honesty and the genuine consent of everyone involved, otherwise it's just a scumbag cheating.

Even if they came back with 10 people and tried to negotiate a polyamorous relationship before getting with any of the people, their original lover might not want polyamory and might be put off by the knowledge that this is what their lover truly wants.
So, you're opening yourself up to the possibility of that first relationship ending no matter what.

To ensure a no or low-drama harem, the possibility of a harem happening has to be established long before it begins to form, or before any relationship starts. And everyone involved would have to realise that's where this is heading and accept that.

Last edited: