Pull the lever!

• yes

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • no

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

GlassRose

Kaleidoscope of Harmonious Contradiction
I mean, the point of the trolley problem isn't from the initial scenario, but rather various permutations on it.
This is a boring trolly problem.

THERE IS A CIRCULAR TRACK.

On the track is a trolly. It is powered by electricity. It will never run out of power. It goes around and around. You have a switch. If you flip the switch, the trolly comes to a stop, then reverses direction. If you keep flipping it constantly, you can basically keep it still. If you stop, it takes about three minutes to complete a circle.

They chain a five year old girl on the tracks.
They lock you in a room with the switch and a window that lets you look right at the girl.
At best, you can time it so you can wait two minutes 59 seconds before flipping the switch, or she dies at 3 minutes.

They will not let you out until the girl is dead.
No Food. No water. No breaks.

So. What do you do?
Not let you out until she's dead? With no food water or break? Well, what's going to happen no matter what I do is she'll die, either when I pass out from exhaustion and dehydration or when she dies from dehydration, so really I'm only decreasing the net suffering if I let it kill her immediately, thus ending her suffering on the track and mine in the room.
No, Sisyphus is not happy, he's stuck in the same desperate obsessive trance he always is as he tries to escape death.

GlassRose

Another thing to consider. If you pull the lever, you are legally responsible for the death of the one, and while you may be able to get out of it, you also might not.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
I mean, the point of the trolley problem isn't from the initial scenario, but rather various permutations on it.

Not let you out until she's dead? With no food water or break? Well, what's going to happen no matter what I do is she'll die, either when I pass out from exhaustion and dehydration or when she dies from dehydration, so really I'm only decreasing the net suffering if I let it kill her immediately, thus ending her suffering on the track and mine in the room.
So, you wouldn't hold out as long as you could, hoping someone might discover you were kidnapped by these psychopaths and might come to save you? Interesting.

D

Deleted member 139452

I will save the ones who will give me the most money
Or make a coin toss and then chose based on the results

Piisfun

Playful Spacetime Dragon
I looked around to see if this had previously been discussed on the forums. I couldn't find a thread that showed it, so I thought I'd make it. Serious answer only, although feel free to go haywire in the replies.

I don't think I need to explain it, but just in case:

Before you stand two train tracks, running side by side.​
The first track has five people, all upon it tied.​
The second track- only one- similarly bound.​
In the distance, a chugging; the train starts to sound.​
Your hands rest on a lever, the six start to cry;​
Pull it, and kill the one, or let the five die?
Do I have any superheros, dragons, portal guns, or derailleurs available?

Also, what type of trolley? A cable car would be preferable.

Kalliel

Grind, Future, A Beautiful Star
Carefully aim a pistol outside when you run over the five guys.
You should be able to shoot the one guy on the other track.
Thus completing your mission.

FernGilly

If I don't pull the lever I can't be held responsible for whomever is about to die?

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
You can get a £1000 fine for trespassing on the railway, so....

Also, considering they close like 20 miles of track for a leaf on the line, I'm guessing that even one of those people will derail the train, thus killing /injuring everyone on board. So it doesn't matter if I choose the 1 or the 5 to save, there's a train load of people getting smashed like eggs in the train cars.

So why am I risking a £1000 fine for trespassing on the railway? Aaaaand, how come I'm there with a choice to make, but the person who tied them all down isn't? I do not take on other people's shit for them. Anyway I am not God. Okay so I get to explain myself to Him Upstairs when I get to the bit where my heart gets weighed against a feather, but if he can't explain why he didn't save all those people but I was supposed to, then we're going to be a long time arguing about it in Purgatory. Hope he's up for the mother of all migraines....

GlassRose

So, you wouldn't hold out as long as you could, hoping someone might discover you were kidnapped by these psychopaths and might come to save you? Interesting.
That wasn't discussed in the premise, and thus can not be counted on, just as we don't talk about how the hell you got into that situation when talking about a normal trolley problem.