Adventurer's Guild [AGSA] Adventurer's Guild Sky Archipelago - OOC Room

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
View attachment 8647
Saw this while on NU. Not considering it but I just wanted to ask if yall think it's worth it. Like... 1 dollar per chapter?
This pays literally less than a retail job for more effort. 3 chapters a day, Chinese to English isn't something to scoff at. Even more so because they need to be translated, edited and proofread in a single day every day. This is literally a sweatshop work targeted at gullible people in countries with lower income (for example SEA).

fyrre

Dont think so. One buck a chapter? That is so vague. I preferred $/x characters….. or something similar

No, it's slave wage. I know people that work at sites well-known for paying little that gain 8-10$/chapter while using mainly MTL and Dictionaries to make their translations work. And they don't need to work with a schedule as absurdly tight as 3 chapters/day.

This guy is unlikely to get anyone to work for him... It's just way too much of an absurd request.

Like, he could get some hobbyists that want to train their language skills if there wasn't a 3 chapters/day request, but... That's just too much. Editing MTL into a readable text can easily take 1-2h, and you don't wanna spend 6h working to get 3$. There are better offers in the fantranslation market.

... And as a bonus, they don't mention their average chapter length, so it could take even longer to translate if their chapters are like 4000-6000 characters long. I was working with the assumption of 2000-4000 characters for the 1-2h number.

Smells of online sweatshop, tbh
This pays literally less than a retail job for more effort. 3 chapters a day, Chinese to English isn't something to scoff at. Even more so because they need to be translated, edited and proofread in a single day every day. This is literally a sweatshop work targeted at gullible people in countries with lower income (for example SEA).
scrnli_7_13_2021_9-31-55 PM.png

Sorry for the long thread. Watching such drama unfold is exciting! :blob_popcorn:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
No, it's slave wage. I know people that work at sites well-known for paying little that gain 8-10$/chapter while using mainly MTL and Dictionaries to make their translations work. And they don't need to work with a schedule as absurdly tight as 3 chapters/day.

This guy is unlikely to get anyone to work for him... It's just way too much of an absurd request.

Like, he could get some hobbyists that want to train their language skills if there wasn't a 3 chapters/day request, but... That's just too much. Editing MTL into a readable text can easily take 1-2h, and you don't wanna spend 6h working to get 3$. There are better offers in the fantranslation market.

... And as a bonus, they don't mention their average chapter length, so it could take even longer to translate if their chapters are like 4000-6000 characters long. I was working with the assumption of 2000-4000 characters for the 1-2h number.
To add on to this, if you work all 22 workdays of a month, you'll be earning 66$/month.

Assuming your currency is 10x weaker than USD and that your minimum wage is about 1000 of your currency, you'll be getting 2/3rds of your minimum wage for working 3-6h a day... And that's without counting the fact you'd probably need to use paypal or something to get your payment, which means you'd lose part of this money on transfer fees. You'd probably earn closer to 63$ actually.

... And that's assuming a currency that is 10x weaker than USD... Now imagine that for someone living in the US or another country with a strong currency... >.>

I really can't see this as a reasonable deal no matter how I look at it. Too much commitment, too much time investment, too little return.

Maaaaaaaaaaybe this could be worthwhile if your currency is like... 50x weaker than USD, but still... You should still be able to find better jobs within the fantranslation community.

Like, geez, I do JP>EN translation mostly by relying on dictionaries and I earn 10$/chapter... And I can control my own schedule just fine... No need to adhere to something as crazy as 3 chapters/day.

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
So in conclusion petable!
Not only that, who ever lucky enough to nuzzling between his wings will have the best night of sleep. Ever! Surrounded by feathers, warm and soft.
That just gave me an idea.... Most bitd di shed and mold one per year, sometime more.....

AliceShiki

View attachment 8648
Sorry for the long thread. Watching such drama unfold is exciting! :blob_popcorn:
For the record, there are people willing to create a translation site for you on NUF. They also do all the work related to putting ads on your site and whatnot.

They do get 30% of the ad revenue that your site would get, but still, you can definitely make your own site and earn more than what this person is offering... OverlyUnfriendly is absolutely right that making your own site would be more profitable.

The_Everdistant_Utopia

Mapmaker | Writer | Lorekeeper
View attachment 8648
Ah, yes.
Earning just about minimum wage of a third world country. Actually, scratch that since that's a quarter of what I earn in customer service.

Notice that they mentioned nowhere about this supposed level 1 bullshit in the original post and would probably never have mentioned had them not been called out. Aside from the fact this whole 'level' thing just smells like a way to gaslight people into thinking they might increase their income.

AliceShiki

aaa.jpg

Hey, look, they just hid the payment/chapter from the OP now~

On another note, I just realized now that they aren't even mentioning their website in this recruitment post... It's about as fishy as it can get~

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
View attachment 8650

Hey, look, they just hid the payment/chapter from the OP now~

On another note, I just realized now that they aren't even mentioning their website in this recruitment post... It's about as fishy as it can get~
'level 1'

this makes me genuinely angry for some inordinate reason. brb telling them to go fuck themselves
Oh, the classic backpedal.
Does anyone of ya wanna bite and see what his Diwcord DM offer look like?
Also, what is thst thread called? I wanna watch? Got my popcorn ready (really, on brewk at my threater :blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn::blob_popcorn:

AliceShiki

aaaa.jpg

Alice:
I just wanted to say that this seems fishy.
John: I would like to clarify that, as it is not legal to do so, we are not using slaves as part of our workforce.

Gotta say that this would be incredibly hilarious if it wasn't so absurdly fishy~