Anyone else edit published chapters?

Disenjoyment

I always find myself revising and editing chapters even weeks after i publish them.
I should probably leave it and move on so i can put more time into future chapters, but i just cant help myself..
Anyone else do this?

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
i do sometimes but ill polish up my beginning a lot more later on.

main reason is cause the beginning of my work was done under NaNoWriMo and i feel i should clean it uo a bit

especially since im now getting to write the fun shit

SailusGebel

I always find myself revising and editing chapters even weeks after i publish them.
I should probably leave it and move on so i can put more time into future chapters, but i just cant help myself..
Anyone else do this?
Editing mistakes\making slight rewrites to improve readability is okay, this is what I did. Constantly rewriting older chapters because you don't like something is not okay.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I'm in the process of going back to my first volume and putting in tables. The box kind, not the eating and having lewds on kind. :blob_catflip: I'm also throwing my old lewd scenes into spoilers for the people who want to skip it or find it easier.

So yes, I'm brand new to writing and a lot of formatting changes can be made to my old chapters to spruce them up a bit. :blob_paint:

LilRora

Mostly formless
I generally try to leave old chapters as they are in terms of their content, but I often edit some little things or add some information that I missed for some reason.

ChrisLensman

I correct punctuation, spelling and weird phrasing all the time. But content I really only edit when I get comments saying that something is a little obtuse.

LordAstrea

Catgirl Addict
Even years later I still go back and edit as well. Try to polish and refresh on some details. Can even give ideas for referencing things later that aren't always necessary but can be appreciated.

ACertainPassingUser

You better do. Especially when there's an important spoiler sentences laying around, a chapter mixed up with another, unclear explanation of what happened, fatal typo that may let one or two plot point build up becomes unexplained,

And also some build up paragraph that isn't organized enough to make the reader build a picture of what happened, what are the explicit confirmations, and what expectations are expected from the next chapter.

Especially when readers ask for things that should have already explained in this chapter, or past chapter. That's not just reader "stupidity", it could be a sign that the author didn't explain it properly.

Sometimes it needs to be be repeated until it's clear enough. Especially when the same thing happened again, it's okay to repeat the thing with less word and little bit different phrasing to not bore the readers.

It's better to edit chapter and reply to the reader with "fixed, please read again",

instead of explaining what important point in the plot via comment answer, but never bother to put them inside the story.

It annoy me when I see one author keep complaining about bad review from readers who supossedly didn't understand the story and why the character didn't "escape for his freedom" and he keep explaining the thing reader should understand that "the butler is too strong" in comment, author notes, and even description.

But the biggest isssue is that he never tell that "the butler is strong enough to be deterrent against mc escape plan" inside the story. It's very poorly explained or even unexplained since author didn't put proper overview of the situation and how the characters think.

Sometimes if you're bad at "show" things like mark Twain advice "show don't tell" advice.

just tell it first, and show later.

You can use show once you have proper description to make reader immerse themselves inside the writing and understand cthe character line of thoughts and why he choose this decision Insteadof the other.

Kenjona

I do it to posts as it is. I would probably do it to any chapter I wrote.

NotOriginal

Yeah I edit grammar and add in a few things to make the chapter more detailed, if I can improve the chapter with a rewrite I would do it if I can make it fit within the rest of the story.

EternalSunset0

I do, but it's mostly due to fixing grammar or adjusting a description or two to fit the insert art.

Totally rewriting, though, is something I really don't like. Which is why I compile all volume chapters first before publishing them, so all the major plot details I have to revise get caught and fixed before the first chapter of a volume goes live.

J_Chemist

Yes.

I redid my entire story a little bit ago because the first ~20 chapters were a mess and it domino effected everything else. I don't recommend it, but do what you have to do.

Lire

I Wanna Be, The Very Best. Like No One Ever Was!
Yes. I do this a lot.

In fact, if I had more free time, I'd go back to the start and polish things up a bit. Especially since I've learned quite several things about syntax and paragraph formatting. And the stat tables I did when I was just starting out looked bare-bones.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Yep. It just comes with the territory of writing something from start to finish.