Authors: What was your reaction to your first 1 star rating?

jabathehut

Resident Troll
I would appreciate honest answers here.

I just received my first 1 star rating from another site, and honestly, I feel a bit disappointed in myself and my writing.

I know it could simply be a troll, or just someone who doesn't particularly enjoy my style of writing. However, it does cause me to take another look at my story. Questions like "should I rewrite the start?" or "did I fail to engage the reader?" come to mind.

How did you as an author overcome the negative thoughts?

As for me, though I felt down, the 1 star rating reinvigorated my passion to become a better writer and storyteller.

Just for clarity, I don't intend on dropping the story whatsoever. It will continue-on, in all its glory!

Cheers!

-ConTroll
Getting your first 1 star is a (w)rite of passage. It just means that you are blooded. You have tested the waters and they test you in turn.

Do not doubt yourself. Let your doubt become anger. Let your anger become spite. Write out of pure, unadulterated spite, to make the people that hate you hate you even more.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
I got my first 1 star on my first novel, and to be honest it doesn't affect me at all. There will always be people that will dislike what you write, but so what, as you have people that actually genuinely read and like your novel, then it doesn't matter how many haters there are.

D

Deleted member 25480

You can't please everyone. Just keep what you're doing.

But to me, i just delete my series and start all over again to correct my mistakes. Even though it isn't perfect enough.

jinxs2011

Spud Cannon
I don't pay much attention to my ratings. It's just a number that can be easily influenced either way by a single person, if they're willing to put the time and effort into it. It's only good as a rough gauge of quality. Some types of stories even get bunches of 5 star ratings, regardless of the actual quality, because it's a meme or something.

I pay much more attention to reviews and comments, especially the ones who actually put the time and effort in to tell you what they think is bad or good about your story, and why. They're the ones that actually help you improve. I mean, you could (for instance) have an 0.6 star rating and recognise that your story is utter flaming garbage, but also have no idea what about it could be improved or in some cases, altered or removed. There are just so many different elements, from the basic spelling and grammar, to dialogue, plot and world development. A simple 0 stars 'this is bad' review doesn't help you with that.

And sure, as other people have said, you can't please everyone. No one story can possibly be to the tastes of every individual, and some bad ratings are inevitably going to be from people who just don't enjoy a particular element in your story or some part of the setting. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be trying to make it better. Even if you think the story or the characters are best the way they are, perhaps the way you describe things, or the flow of conversations could be improved.

Milk.Milkan

Me Milk, me smart.
I dont know cuz for some miracle reason i still no received any 1 yet(maybe cuz i update kinda not often) buut id probably deal with it.

Nezothecat

theCat has an attitude so we kinda knew we wouldn't be able to please everybody. Still, having it is kinda sad just like one aspect of our many encounters in life!

LazyPanda

Cried in a corner and quit writing for a few years... had a very fragile ego then. Just slightly better now.

DemonOppai

Yandere’s Lover Corpse Collector

I just received my first 1 star rating from another site, and honestly, I feel a bit disappointed in myself and my writing.

I know it could simply be a troll, or just someone who doesn't particularly enjoy my style of writing. However, it does cause me to take another look at my story. Questions like "should I rewrite the start?" or "did I fail to engage the reader?" come to mind.

As for me, though I felt down, the 1 star rating reinvigorated my passion to become a better writer and storyteller.

Just for clarity, I don't intend on dropping the story whatsoever. It will continue-on, in all its glory!

Cheers!

-ConTroll

I just end up procrastinating and take a break. Somehow I'm emotionally fragile hahaha. But yeah getting a one-star rating definitely sucks.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I felt bitter, ranted to my family and debated whether I’m just bad or that person simply didn’t like BL. Later I noticed that the rating was deleted by Tony. 🙃

Now I don’t care anymore, cause being not 4+ stars makes your story stand out more in the long listings.

Umm... well, I've never got 1* yet, but I just got 2* today, and I feel kind of... umm disappointed.
well, btw, I know I'm still lacking in writing, and my writing isn't majestic at all. But I tried my best to create an enjoyable novel because that's what I'm into.
everyone has their liking, so I can't force them to like my work either.
Anyway, Cheer up!

PandaSempai

Umm... I haven't received any 1* rating as of yet in this platform. However, I did receive some 1* rating on another platform.

My reaction was just 'meh' since I don't really bother with what others think (especially if it doesn't have any context behind it). I would probably worry about it if someone who liked my story in past hated it for some reason. I never really encountered a genuine one who likes my work so it's just pretty chill for me. No pressure at all.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy
I was like "Damn, that took longer than I expected." I honestly didn't think my story will go for like two weeks or so without a 1star due to the title and people being "disappointed" there's no hot stuff yet. I was more confused by a sudden score bomb, which was actually 2stars :blob_joy: but that has been dealt with.

Well, anyway, score is just a number. What matters the most is the readers that actually enjoy the story. I write for them and for myself. Not to appeal to the general public. Never lose the sight of the reason you are writing. Don't let every single bad thing affect you. Focus on the positives. If you switch your attention to the bad stuff too often, you'll hurt your fan readers.

expentio

I would like to know if a rating of a deleted account stays.
I am a little troubled that my rating dropped from 4.7 to 4.3 in the last month, while there was not a single bad comment I got on this side.
My grammar isn't the best, but that wasn't an issue before. Also the story might be a little weird so I can understand it to a degree.
Yet now I've got yesterday a 1* and saw three readers who stopped at the first chapter, one's profile was shutdown. I kinda suspect this one.

Another story: I've got on RR a review with 2,5* average. Fine, he explained it. The weird is, after a week on the new chapter 11 there was suddenly the same guy writing that I should start to improve my grammar. Question: Why the heck was he still there?

OvidLemma

I get one-star ratings for just about all of my stories. Just look at any of my series - you'll invariably find lots of five-star ratings, a smattering of four-star ratings, and one or two one-stars with, usually, nothing in between. Not to come across as arrogant, but I know I'm a pretty good writer. I can understand it if something in my story rubs a person the wrong way and they give me, say, a 3-star because they just don't find the story too enjoyable, regardless of whether I've written it well. That's fair. But the people who give one-stars usually either:
1) Are giving you a low rating to tank your overall star count (jealous fellow writers, perhaps).
2) Really hate whatever your story is about and will go to stories with those tags and give them low ratings without even reading.

1597678244916.png

In other words, don't take 1-star reviews personally unless they are either accompanied by substantive criticism or if you're also getting lots of 2-star reviews, too (which usually means the person genuinely didn't like your story rather than them being a jerk on purpose). Any jerk can give you a 1-star for any jerky reason, and if you are posting your stories to a public forum, you have to have a thick skin or you'll be forever ruled by hasty or dishonest detractors.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
On the first one, I just rolled my eyes because I know I write about controversial subject matter and I expected it, but then by the third one, I decided to live it up and have some fun with it. Now I get angry whenever someone leaves a five-star rating.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠

Cheers!

-ConTroll
It is normal to get disappointed. That your blood and sweat getting 1 star. Nevertheless, keep your heads up. Check out where you can improve. Ask others, you can get help in our discord chat. Or you can even ask review swaps here and ask where you can improve. Your battle is not against the 1-start rater (A troll or not). The battle lies within yourself. Enjoy the process and know that you can't please everyone. Be you that's good enough. :blobtaco:

HJ

Cheers!

-ConTroll

Funny thing is. I posted my novel less than two hours ago and I received a One Star. I read the FAQS which state that it takes 12 hours before the gods - @Tony - approve a story for publishing in SH.

As of this moment, I do not care about the ratings because I have a fan base outside this platform and my readers are very much supportive.

If you are satisfied with your work and you know that your story is good, then you can ignore the low ratings. Anyway, readers who truly understand and appreciate your content will post a good review for your story.